Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 08:46 AM
GTSfix
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just picked up my coupe GTS yesterday after a five month wait and don't have a lot of seat time but can offer a preliminary observation. I have the acoustic glass and I can hear the exhaust loud and clear and feel and hear the tires just fine. I can certainly hear the crackle when letting off the gas in sport plus. Coming from a BMW m550 I can say the exhaust is definitely louder. I also have acoustic glass in wife's my X5 and it cuts down wind noise on the highway a great deal and makes ride more comfortable and conversation easier. We noticed the difference right away since we came out of a previous X5 without it. I would suggest wind noise does not equate to sportiness and I wouldn't hesitate to get the glass for fear of being too isolated.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:24 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts

One follow up to my earlier post. Spoke to a senior tech and he noted that the GTS has a sound symposer. This explains the ability to hear great engine note even with the insulated glass but have it seem more subdued while cruising.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:58 PM
zozozo
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTSfix
Just picked up my coupe GTS yesterday after a five month wait and don't have a lot of seat time but can offer a preliminary observation. I have the acoustic glass and I can hear the exhaust loud and clear and feel and hear the tires just fine. I can certainly hear the crackle when letting off the gas in sport plus. Coming from a BMW m550 I can say the exhaust is definitely louder. I also have acoustic glass in wife's my X5 and it cuts down wind noise on the highway a great deal and makes ride more comfortable and conversation easier. We noticed the difference right away since we came out of a previous X5 without it. I would suggest wind noise does not equate to sportiness and I wouldn't hesitate to get the glass for fear of being too isolated.
I have sort of the opposite problem… by the time I realized I wanted this vehicle, I could no longer configure one to my own prefs.

There is a turbo at my local dealer available but it doesn’t have this option… I really want it. Do you think it makes a big difference? I fear I’ll regret not having it….
Old 03-31-2023, 12:34 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts

This would never keep me from buying an otherwise good spec.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:38 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the same issue with the hazy rear windows. (21 Cayenne TTS- e-hybrid) My Porsche tech says it is normal however.

Originally Posted by lakings90
Yes, exactly.. looks like dirty window haze.. its really only noticeable when the sun is bright and hits it directly. That said, in the summer time, its really noticeable on all the back windows when i turn around and look out of them.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:51 PM
Bozfour
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I have it on all my Porsche vehicles. I love it. 0 issues with reception. Definitely helps keep the wind noise out. I had a rental vehicle on a trip recently and immediately could tell the difference in road and wind noise.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:41 PM
BostonBC
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Selpo
Interesting! Got the thermal and acoustic glass option on my ‘23 Cayenne GTS and did add the windshield tint as well. Have attached my toll tag but have not used it yet. Mobile reception seems to be fine, in my area. Will update once I have more data points.
Did you ever test this out? I am considering a 22 GTS with thermal and acoustic glass but am concerned about the toll tag as well as my RFID based FOB to allow me into my underground parking garage. Thanks in advance for any information.
Old 05-02-2024, 05:43 PM
ThomasWShea
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonBC
Did you ever test this out? I am considering a 22 GTS with thermal and acoustic glass but am concerned about the toll tag as well as my RFID based FOB to allow me into my underground parking garage. Thanks in advance for any information.
There is a dedicated place on the windshield where signals can pass, from what I understand.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:11 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

I have a 22 GTS with the thermal glass. Has not been a problem for the toll tag or cell phone. The toll tag mounts top of windshield next the mirror. As far as the RF FOB it shouldn’t be a problem but maybe the dealer would allow you to test drive and check it out if you’re not too far away. Once you drive the GTS you’ll figure out how to make it work as you won’t want to return it.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:34 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

The area for toll tags, etc. is quite large and on both sides of the windshield. Here's a photo showing my adhesive Kansas toll tag which is of a design and size used in numerous states.. There might be enough space to mount a dozen of them. If your RFID fob turns out to be problematic, the worst case would be having to roll down your side window a little. That beats extending your arm to hold an access card against a reader in driving rainstorms like I did for too many years.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:28 AM
BostonBC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rdboxster
I have a 22 GTS with the thermal glass. Has not been a problem for the toll tag or cell phone. The toll tag mounts top of windshield next the mirror. As far as the RF FOB it shouldn’t be a problem but maybe the dealer would allow you to test drive and check it out if you’re not too far away. Once you drive the GTS you’ll figure out how to make it work as you won’t want to return it.
You are 100% right. Don’t want to ever give the GTS back. As for the dealer, they did one better. The Sales Associate drove it to my condo building and we tested it. Didn’t work at first but I moved the FOB higher up the windshield and it worked like a charm. Sweet car.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:39 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 194 Posts

[QUOTE=BostonBC;19417956]You are 100% right. Don’t want to ever give the GTS back. As for the dealer, they did one better. The Sales Associate drove it to my condo building and we tested it. Didn’t work at first but I moved the FOB higher up the windshield and it worked like a charm. Sweet car.
QUOTE]

Good to hear the FOB works. Looks like the same color I have Quartzite Grey. Is it a done deal?
The following users liked this post:
BostonBC (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:41 PM
BostonBC
Intermediate

[QUOTE=rdboxster;19419216]
You are 100% right. Don’t want to ever give the GTS back. As for the dealer, they did one better. The Sales Associate drove it to my condo building and we tested it. Didn’t work at first but I moved the FOB higher up the windshield and it worked like a charm. Sweet car.
QUOTE]

Good to hear the FOB works. Looks like the same color I have Quartzite Grey. Is it a done deal?
yup. Pick her up More bday.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:59 AM
FurbzRSA
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
Are the acoustic glass and standard windshield interchangeable? (Same thickness)
just to revive this

i need to replace my windshield.
my car has the standard windshield - would a Thermal and Noise version fit?
Old 08-23-2024, 11:31 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by FurbzRSA
just to revive this

i need to replace my windshield.
my car has the standard windshield - would a Thermal and Noise version fit?
I think this would be a question for a Porsche dealer or glass replacement company (e.g. Safelite) unless someone on this forum has already done it. The side window laminated acoustic glass is thinner than the standard single pane glass but there might not be a difference or as much difference in the windshield versions since the standard windshield is already laminated glass. It's probably more likely to fit if the "fit kits" for both windshields are the same.

I suspect that the side window laminated acoustic glass has more benefit than the windshield. I really noticed the increased noise from passing traffic at highway speeds when I had a loaner Macan with standard glass on Wednesday. I also noticed the heat of the sun through the standard side glass of the Macan and Wednesday was an unusually cool day for August.

I've got a similar question in that I've wondered if my thermal/noise windshield could be replaced with a heated thermal/noise windshield. The heated windshield is the #1 feature I wanted that the in-stock Cayenne I bought didn't have. The standard heated windshield on the Toyota van that the Cayenne replaced was wonderful.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasWShea (08-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass