Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 08:09 AM
Turrrbo
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have this option on my car and i highly recommend it, when I first test drove 2 Cayennes that don’t have it and i thought something is wrong with the rubber sealing the doors assuming there was an air leak! But there wasn’t any leak! It was me used to well insulated cars. I was shocked how Porsche engineers didn’t make this option as standard.

i am writing you this message from inside the car with 2 sim cards connected to my phone showing 100% 5G strength coverage, and the third PCM sim card showing 90% strength.

P.S: I got panoramic roof, which definitely makes a difference.

Go for it without hesitation, if worried about it getting cracked easily, get windshield exterior protection like what I did. It is similar to the protection you install on your phone display. Google it and you will find many installers who can do it for you. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2023, 10:12 AM
lakings90
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a '22 with that glass. My only complaint is on a very sunny day, when the sun hits the the rear windows, they seem almost foggy (or very hazy) when on the inside looking out. Dealer said that was normal, but I find it hard to believe they would be that hazy. Anyone else find that?
The following users liked this post:
ALEV8 (05-07-2024)
Old 03-22-2023, 12:09 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by lakings90
Have a '22 with that glass. My only complaint is on a very sunny day, when the sun hits the the rear windows, they seem almost foggy (or very hazy) when on the inside looking out. Dealer said that was normal, but I find it hard to believe they would be that hazy. Anyone else find that?
I suppose it could be described as sort of hazy when viewed from the exterior. I've never ridden in the backseat and looked outward. I think I remember reading somewhere that Porsche's thermal/noise privacy glass allows more visible light transmission through it than does the standard tempered privacy glass. I thought that was strange but the thermal/noise privacy glass seems plenty dark enough.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:29 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

I have the insulated glass and opted for no sunroof. The car is very quiet, warm in the winter, cool in the summer, with no problems with cell reception.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:30 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 638 Likes on 420 Posts

I just started noticing that haze, especially out the rear hatch. Low angle sun. It seemed like the window hadn't been washed in a while, but I don't notice it often.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:14 PM
lakings90
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
I just started noticing that haze, especially out the rear hatch. Low angle sun. It seemed like the window hadn't been washed in a while, but I don't notice it often.
Yes, exactly.. looks like dirty window haze.. its really only noticeable when the sun is bright and hits it directly. That said, in the summer time, its really noticeable on all the back windows when i turn around and look out of them.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:18 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
I wonder if your your experience has been coincidental. I went over 30 years without a single rock strike that cracked a windshield and then had seven over a 15 year period. None of those windshields had any special properties. There's just a lot more debris on the roads.
Does not seem like it. 4 over 4 years is excessive (also 2-3 repairs per windshield before replacement). And I drive exact same road at the same time and speed in a 911 (we have to use two cars simultaneously when parents are visiting) with the same rocks hitting the windshield and leaving no marks, while Cayenne gets chips and cracks. That's too many coincidences in a row. I will get the insulated version again, though - I'll gamble on the hope they improve it.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:52 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

From the Porsche site: A secondary effect is that the acoustic glass weighs a little less than the standard offering. Not a glass expert but maybe the additional layers of film between the glass allows for reduction in glass thickness to save weight and still have the required strength. Here is link to the complete article: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2021...401-26834.html. Rocks hitting windshields is inevitable, it’s not if but when. I think in the future when we take the winter trips I am going to have a repair kit along to hopefully limit the cracking of a chip. I have full glass replacement so other than the inconvenience it’s really not an issue to get the glass replaced but I just as soon have my dealer do it.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:46 PM
JTG13
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a 2024 Turbo GT on order and need to lock in my spec soon. I have been going back and forth on this option the most actually. I am concerned it takes away from the low-end noise from the engine and the feeling of connection with the road with the cabin being so isolated. Never had a car with it and don't particular notice any wind noise while cruising down the highway. Should I be looking at adding this more closely? Seems like for my preference I am okay leaving it off but always welcome perspectives that feel strongly you should option it.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:04 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 229 Posts

Are the acoustic glass and standard windshield interchangeable? (Same thickness)
Old 03-24-2023, 04:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,623 Posts

We skipped this option on our Cayenne as I knew it wouldn’t reject enough hear in South Texas. And I have to say,this vehicle is one of the quietest I’ve ever driven. I certainly don’t miss the extra sound deadening.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:14 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by JTG13
I have a 2024 Turbo GT on order and need to lock in my spec soon. I have been going back and forth on this option the most actually. I am concerned it takes away from the low-end noise from the engine and the feeling of connection with the road with the cabin being so isolated. Never had a car with it and don't particular notice any wind noise while cruising down the highway. Should I be looking at adding this more closely? Seems like for my preference I am okay leaving it off but always welcome perspectives that feel strongly you should option it.
Turbo GT. Porsche’s most powerful V8. Titanium exhaust that has “distinct motorsport-inspired sound unique to the Cayenne Turbo GT.”
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_AU/2...-GT-28076.html

Who would want to insulate themselves from that? Mash that throttle and enjoy the symphony!
Old 03-25-2023, 02:38 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

I have it in my coupé GTS and I think it's perfect. I believe this set up with sport exhaust running is likely a little louder than the TGT. I hear loads over low speed rumble and crackles but it shuts up well on the highway. Seems to be a percent balance.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:31 AM
JTG13
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
I have it in my coupé GTS and I think it's perfect. I believe this set up with sport exhaust running is likely a little louder than the TGT. I hear loads over low speed rumble and crackles but it shuts up well on the highway. Seems to be a percent balance.
how is it doing both? Has to be taking away some sound.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:33 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

how is it doing both? Has to be taking away some sound.
I assume some of it is the valving of the sport exhaust. Honestly hear more rumble tooling around town than on the highway.

Quick Reply: Thermally and Noise Insulated Glass