Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

KUFATEC coding dongle to fully enable LED-Matrix headlight functionality

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 06:17 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts

Interested and will send the request. Thanks Jim.
The following users liked this post:
Woofman (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:10 PM
read-write
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sent request, fingers crossed (USA 22' Cayenne Turbo w/ PDLS+). Appreciate you getting the ball rolling on this, @Woofman
The following 2 users liked this post by read-write:
daveo4porsche (02-15-2023), Woofman (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 08:45 PM
RSLDSN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Request sent
I wonder if they could create a dongle to kill the Auto Start/Stop
Woofman (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 09:48 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Request sent.
Woofman (02-15-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 06:41 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

response:

Thank you for your request.

We're sorry but we do not have any solution for your request.

Enclosed you will also see an overview of other products that fit this vehicle with vin "[blah]":
https://www.kufatec.com/en/productse...?id=3663898926

Let us know if you have any additional questions. We would be happy to assist you further.

Kind regards,

KUFATEC Support Team
Nima Ghassemi

KUFATEC GmbH & Co. KG
Dahlienstr. 15
D - 23795 Bad Segeberg

Handelsreg.-Nr.
HRA 7186 KI

Persönlich haftender Gesellschafter:
KUFATEC Verwaltungs GmbH
HRB 12172 KI

Management:
Christoph Heinzelmann
Nima Ghassemi Nejad
Enrico Richter

https://www.kufatec.de
​​​​​​​
Old 02-16-2023, 06:59 AM
Rischey
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Request sent…
Old 02-16-2023, 10:30 AM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts

Got the same Heisman as the poster above.

We're sorry but we do not have any solution for your request.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:51 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 360 Posts

Here is the full text of the latest email from KUFATEC:

"Dear Jim H,

Thank you for your request and your help to create a new Dongle.
Now we have receive many questions from Customers to aktivate the Matrix Funktion.

We have check this with our Engenering Team, and for Cars 2020+ the Coding is not alone what you need, you need a activation code in the gateway too, this not make PIWIS, this time only Porsche can add this activation Code to the Gateway. This information is not sure, but the Gateway what Porsche installed is the Same as Audi used, and here is Matrix with activaction code.

Last Week we have here a Customer with canneye 2023 with standard LED lights and we have try to activate the high beam assistant, coding was done and no error but funktion not Work same situation no activation in Gateway.....

I Think we can make a Dongle for Cars until 2020, and we can try cars 2020+, but the chance is only 5%."

-------------------------------------------------------

So ... it looks like KUFATEC "may" be able to provide a coding dongle for the 2019 and 2020 Cayenne but most likely not for later model years.

Here is my speculation about what's going on: On Cayenne after 2020, Porsche may have adopted a "Feature On Demand" model similar to that used on the Taycan. On the Taycan, software for additional features (e.g. Active Lane Keeping, InnoDrive) can be downloaded on a monthly subscription basis or a one-time full payment. We may have wrongly assumed that no additional software is required to enable full LED-Matrix functionality on the Cayenne based on member runbuh's success with enabling full LED-Matrix functionality on his 2019 Cayenne with his Chinese clone PIWIS.

I responded to the the latest KUFATEC email saying that I am still willing to test a coding dongle if they are willing to create one and that I would be willing to pay a non-refundable fee in the range of the original quoted fee. I also said that I would be willing to pay my local Porsche dealership to repair any damage that might be done by said dongle.

I'm willing to "take one for the team" but this may be a unsolvable problem that is going to cut my 2022 Cayenne ownership short.

The following 2 users liked this post by Woofman:
bobblehead (02-16-2023), Schnave (02-16-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 01:18 PM
1stRS
4th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting about the dongle.

The files for my Audi lived in Germany and the company I had enable my Matrix LEDs had to access those files (vin specific) and then install them in my car using factory scan tool.

Go over to Audiworld.com Q8 forum, perhaps that "guy" can also enable Porsche matrix LEDs...
Old 02-24-2023, 04:11 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1stRS
Interesting about the dongle.

The files for my Audi lived in Germany and the company I had enable my Matrix LEDs had to access those files (vin specific) and then install them in my car using factory scan tool.

Go over to Audiworld.com Q8 forum, perhaps that "guy" can also enable Porsche matrix LEDs...
I read through most of the thread on the Audiworld forum and didn't find anything useful for Porsche. And what's with the secrecy over there? When people asked over and over for contact information for the mysterious "Sam" who supposedly could enable matrix on Audi, there were no forum responses providing the information - at least none I've yet found.

I exchanged additional emails with KUFATEC after my last post and they seem adamant that there is nothing they can do to enable matrix on Porsche. I apologize for getting people's hopes up but KUFATEC was originally very optimistic.
The following 3 users liked this post by Woofman:
bobblehead (02-24-2023), daveo4porsche (02-25-2023), Schnave (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 05:43 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

There's video of fully activated matrix headlights in past #333 in the Coding video: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...enne-e3-9.html

Additional video in post #340 of the thread Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-the-us-9.html

I was hoping that by now that we'd be able to contact a knowledgable shop and get the lights activated. 🤷‍♂️
Old 02-24-2023, 08:34 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dasams
There's video of fully activated matrix headlights in past #333 in the Coding video: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...enne-e3-9.html

Additional video in post #340 of the thread Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-the-us-9.html

I was hoping that by now that we'd be able to contact a knowledgable shop and get the lights activated. 🤷‍♂️
I'll try to explain the pieces to this puzzle.

A Porsche dealer or independent Porsche workshop cannot make the changes to fully enable the matrix headlights using a legal licensed version of Porsche PIWIS software because PIWIS checks with Porsche corporate servers and only allows changes authorized in the U.S. The fully adaptive feature of the matrix headlights is not authorized in the U.S. and is still not legal here even after the NHTSA "final rule" document on adaptive headlights was published last Spring.

Forum member runbuh documented in the Cayenne coding thread to which you provided a link that he had successfully fully enabled the matrix headlights on his 2019 Cayenne using - let's be blunt - an illegal pirated version of PIWIS III that has been modified to not check with Porsche corporate servers to see if a feature is authorized. Why use a pirate version of PIWIS? If I remember correctly, a legal licensed version of PIWIS costs $18,000 not including substantial annual maintenance fees.

Your "knowledgable shop" probably isn't going to be using a pirated version of PIWIS but only legal licensed versions - at least that's the way it is at the two independent Porsche workshops I checked with. One of the two shops I checked with only has the older PIWIS II since the shop rarely sees Porsches still under warranty and require PIWIS III. The other shop I checked with has a legal version of PIWIS III. When that shop tried to the fully enable the matrix headlights for me following runbuh's instructions, PIWIS III tried to "phone home" to verify that the changes were authorized by Porsche. The shop owner stopped right there since there was no point in continuing. And, if I understand correctly, a forum member who tried following runbuh's instructions on his Panamera was unsuccessful.

This gets us to KUFATEC which is the subject of this thread. KUFATEC is telling me that Porsche adopted a Feature on Demand (FOD) methodology for the Cayenne beginning with the 2021 model year and that fully enabling matrix headlight functionality on a U.S. 2021-up Cayenne requires an activation code which can only be obtained from Porsche. It's a "Catch 22" situation since there is no activation code to fully enabled matrix headlight functionality for the U.S. since fully enabled matrix headlights are not permitted here.

From what I can determine, the only Feature on Demand available for my 2022 Cayenne is the Car Security Package at $280/year. If I had a Taycan and it didn't have Active Lane Keeping or InnoDrive, I could add one or both as a Feature on Demand as long as the Taycan had been originally equipped with Adaptive Cruise control.

If you are determined, I suppose you could buy a pirated copy of PIWIS III and the PC hardware it comes on and see if you can fully enable the matrix headlights on your 2021 Cayenne. Maybe KUFATEC is wrong about it requiring an activation code.

It's a disappointing situation. I bought my Cayenne thinking that there would somehow be a way to fully enable its matrix headlights. So far, it doesn't look good.

Last edited by Woofman; 02-24-2023 at 08:37 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Woofman:
LDT (02-25-2023), pinion (02-24-2023), Schnave (02-24-2023), Selpo (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:05 PM
bearcat2000
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

So, in the end, basically we all got the matrix headlights because they look cooler.
daveo4porsche (02-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 09:17 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by bearcat2000
So, in the end, basically we all got the matrix headlights because they look cooler.
Perhaps we buy the PDLS+ for the same reason we buy a lottery ticket when it has a huge jackpot: FOMO. We know in our hearts it’s probably wasted money, but there’s always that faint glimmer of hope. 😀
The following 6 users liked this post by Schnave:
bobblehead (02-25-2023), daveo4porsche (02-25-2023), LDT (02-25-2023), MaxLTV (02-25-2023), Selpo (02-24-2023), Woofman (02-24-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-25-2023, 04:00 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Woofman - Thank you for the explanation and I'll quit dreaming of activating my PDLS+ lights.

BTW, I have PDLS+ since it was included in the Premium Package Plus along with 4-Zone, Bose, Ambient lighting, Vent F seats, Comfort access, Auto-dimming mirrors, Land Change Assist, Seat heating and 18-way seats ($420 upcharge over included 14-way).

Quick Reply: KUFATEC coding dongle to fully enable LED-Matrix headlight functionality