Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:19 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 147 Posts

Yeah I tend to own cars a long time and I'm not afraid of tuning/upgrading. I don't like throwing money away but I'm sure you're right that somebody will get this dialed if it hasn't been done already. I've been trying to keep costs (somewhat) under control but I'd be kicking myself if everybody has this in 5 years except people who don't have the headlights for it, so I decided I'm gonna get them. Hey it's only another thousand bucks! Thanks for your input.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:22 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Mclane
...maybe you can find others doing this with proven success. If you do, please let us know, so we try to reproduce it.
I'm the kind of guy that looks into things, trust me I'll be looking into this and I'll definitely report back if I come up with something. Thanks for your reply

Last edited by icemang; 12-07-2020 at 12:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by icemang:
Bill P. (12-08-2020), daveo4porsche (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 01:04 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

I was just told by my sales guy at the dealership that Porsche will not be able to enable the matrix lights even if they are fitted and they get approved by NHTSA, that they are disabled at the factory and it can't be reversed. He insisted it was a waste of money to order them. This is contrary to what I've read and it doesn't sound logical or rational but he was adamant on it.. hmmm.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:38 PM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by icemang
I was just told by my sales guy at the dealership that Porsche will not be able to enable the matrix lights even if they are fitted and they get approved by NHTSA, that they are disabled at the factory and it can't be reversed. He insisted it was a waste of money to order them. This is contrary to what I've read and it doesn't sound logical or rational but he was adamant on it.. hmmm.
Statements like that exposes Porsche to class action suits..
Old 12-07-2020, 02:12 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Yeah I was trying to order them and he basically wouldn't let me do it. I'm not sure what to think now. Somebody's bound to be pretty unhappy either way.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:22 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't know for sure but think he is completely full of it. I'd bet the all the functionality for them to work comes installed in the cars but are disabled by only by a software selection that could be enabled. I think he's either entirely misinformed or says that because he doesn't want to be nagged by buyers to enable the feature.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:02 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Yeah I was positive that what you say is true, in fact there's a guy in this thread just a few posts up who went into the software and seems to have enabled them (but he's not positive it's working), and that's part of why I called to put them on the car. I couldn't have been more clear with the sales guy, we went around and around on it, and he insisted he was correct.

I didn't call him to ask him about it, I called him to order them, and he insisted I was making a mistake. As of this minute they're still not on the car and I'm stewing about what to do. Sales guy is not some rookie, he's about 45 and has been selling Porsches at that dealership for almost 15 years. Well I have two more days before the order freezes.

Last edited by icemang; 12-07-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I would not believe even an experienced Porsche sales person. By the way, age does not equal experience. Anyway, I was told that the lumbar position in my 18-way seats are not remembered as part of the key/PCM individual memory. I told him he was wrong but he insisted that he knew what he was talking about because he was an "experienced" sales person. I demonstrated to him he was wrong and he simply stated that Porsche must've changed things. I agree with beefchopper.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ray831:
poolie (04-05-2021), Tedster (03-26-2021)
Old 12-07-2020, 10:29 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

As of this minute they're still not on the car and I'm stewing about what to do.
I can pretty much guarantee you that Porsche will never fully activate your LED's. That being said, there are differences (that I cannot quantify) you should evaluate. If you can't compare the two using cars that the dealer has (or another dealer close by has), trust the people here. The difference may be subtle, but light is good, more light is better.

Tell you what - call another dealer and ask them.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:12 AM
runbuh
Pro

\Sales guy is not some rookie, he's about 45 and has been selling Porsches at that dealership for almost 15 years. Well I have two more days before the order freezes.
Ask the sales guy about this (that's a US site, so I don't believe that it's covering the functionality available outside the US):
https://www.porschefremont.com/porsc...-light-system/

What is the Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)?

What is the difference between PDLS and PDLS Plus? Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus has two added functions. First, at speeds higher than about 40 mph, the dynamic main beam will turn on and detect oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you. The light cone’s intensity and range are adjusted depending on the surroundings. Secondly, Intersection Assistant turns on the electronic cornering lights to adjust the broadness and length of the light cones, which increases the visibility of the vehicle’s surroundings.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:06 PM
runbuh
Pro

Just following up - this is what the LED Matrix headlights are supposed to do when fully active:
https://files3.porsche.com/filestore...e-Brochure.pdfLED main headlights with matrix beam including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus). The LED matrix beam specifically deactivates segments of the permanent main-beam cone. Eighty-four individually controlled LEDs can be adjusted to the situation by switching off or dimming. Vehicles in front of you or on the opposite side of the road are no longer dazzled, while the areas in between and next to them are still fully illuminated. In order to optimise target fixation, not only are the lights selectively dimmed to fade out oncoming vehicles, the area to the right of
the light void is lit more brightly for better guidance of the driver's visual attention. The segment- specific dimming of reflective traffic signs avoids driver dazzle. In addition to the PDLS functions,

PDLS Plus also features electronic cornering
lights and an intersection light based on navigation data. As you approach an intersection or junction, the Intersection Assist activates the left and right cornering light – the light cone becomes wider and shorter. For better illumination of the environment.

The following 3 users liked this post by runbuh:
beefchopper (12-18-2020), Bill P. (12-19-2020), daveo4porsche (12-19-2020)
Old 01-04-2021, 10:18 PM
tex2kc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hardware must be there. When I turn my car on and I’m faced near a wall I can see the lights pixel build out from the center.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:16 AM
bigpern23
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

What are the warranty issues with the modules? I'd love to get the functionality on my Cayenne (and my GLE 450 as well), but certainly don't want to go and void the warranty before I've even broken in the vehicle.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:03 AM
runbuh
Pro

Originally Posted by bigpern23
What are the warranty issues with the modules? I'd love to get the functionality on my Cayenne (and my GLE 450 as well), but certainly don't want to go and void the warranty before I've even broken in the vehicle.
If this ends up being a coding-only solution, then there should be no warranty issues. With simple coding, you're not asking the lights to do anything the manufacturer didn't design into the car itself. Additionally, because it's coding, you can disable the feature whenever you want by reverting back to the original settings. So far, I don't think anyone has figured out how to code this.
The following users liked this post:
bigpern23 (03-22-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 10:34 PM
AcousTech
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I’m guessing some of you have seen this, but maybe we’ll see movement after this?

This was just posted 5/19/21:
Autoblog Article about Legalizing Adaptive Driving Lights
The following 3 users liked this post by AcousTech:
beefchopper (05-19-2021), OCNYPORSCHE (05-20-2021), philg3 (05-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Full activation of matrix LED headlights in the US