Sponsored By:

Keep front Fog lights on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 02:14 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Keep front Fog lights on?

I’ve noticed my front fog lights automatically turn off above a certain speed (I believe it’s 38 mph per manual). I’ve tried both with and without auto light setting. Anyone know if it’s possible to keep the front fog lights on at a higher rate of speed (without going down coding route)? I assume rear fogs stay on no matter the speed but you know what assumptions make. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2023, 11:15 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

From this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...reflector.html

The fog light switch on the instrument panel is actually the Rear Fog Light switch. When ON, the rear fog lights are activated regardless of vehicle speed. I tested this up to 60 mph.

When the Rear Fog Lights are on, the front low beams are modified to a wider beam, suitable for fog. This adaptation occurs when the Rear Fogs are switched on below 38 mph. However, once switched on, the front fogs will remain on until a speed of 47 mph, at which time they will automatically switch off until speed is reduced to 38 mph. If switched on above 38 mph, the fronts will not illuminate until speed decreases to 38 mph.

One more thing. The rear fog lights are very bright — as bright as the brake lights. I only use mine in low visibility (below 100 meters) and never at night when others are driving in close rear proximity. I think of their use as I would for my high beams with approaching traffic.

Here’s an excerpt from this article about rear fog lights:

”So please, if you’re in a car equipped with a button with a half circle-with-a-wavy-line icon, and there is no heavy fog on the moor, remember to turn the rear fog lights off, especially at night when they can be downright blinding in clear weather. Our seared retinas will thank you.”
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...regulation-48/

Last edited by Schnave; 01-04-2023 at 11:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bobblehead (01-05-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 11:57 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

There are no dedicated components that serve as fog lamps on 9Y0, correct? The white light bars under the headlamps are cosmetic lights. The beam-spreading "fog" function of the headlamps are not dedicated fog lamps.

In contrast to actual rear (red) fog lamps on 9Y0.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:22 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
There are no dedicated components that serve as fog lamps on 9Y0, correct? The white light bars under the headlamps are cosmetic lights. The beam-spreading "fog" function of the headlamps are not dedicated fog lamps.

In contrast to actual rear (red) fog lamps on 9Y0.
The white light bars (single bars on non-turbos) are the front parking lights and turn yellow when used as turn signals and hazard lights.
From this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ht-strips.html

The static cornering lights do double-duty as fog lights. I agree, they’re not the same as dedicated fog lights. They’re mounted too high. I detected no discernible dip of the low beams; only a widening of the low beams by the addition of the cornering light beams.

Last edited by Schnave; 01-05-2023 at 01:11 AM.
chassis (01-05-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 06:28 PM
radctt1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks everyone. So I guess can’t keep front fog/cornering above 47 mph is take home for me. I don’t turn them on unless dense fog so I won’t be searing any retinas.
Schnave (01-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Keep front Fog lights on?