Sponsored By:

Daytime running light strips

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 12:55 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Daytime running light strips

Do these light strips turn on for folks when just running on DRLs set to auto headlight mode? I noticed mine don’t turn on and are only on when the low or high beams are on.

Good to know manual doesn’t indicate clearly what the behavior should be.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:00 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Those light strips are for turn signals and parking lights. It will also turn on when headlights are on.

The 4 dots around the main headlights are the actual DRL.
The following users liked this post:
NelsonLee (07-01-2022)
Old 09-29-2021, 07:25 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Those light strips are for turn signals and parking lights. It will also turn on when headlights are on.

The 4 dots around the main headlights are the actual DRL.
yea thanks. Feel a bit dumb. I see on my 911 it’s the same behavior. For some reason I’ve always thought the strips act as drls along with the matrix dots.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:16 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 234 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycanucck
yea thanks. Feel a bit dumb. I see on my 911 it’s the same behavior. For some reason I’ve always thought the strips act as drls along with the matrix dots.
Porsche used to put DRL on bumpers. My Cayman uses fog lights as DRL during the day.

What year is your Cayenne Turbo? Mine is 2019.

Last edited by Silververtu; 09-29-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:15 PM
crazycanucck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Porsche used to put DRL on bumpers. My Cayman uses fog lights as DRL during the day.

What year is your Cayenne Turbo? Mine is 2019.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:39 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all,

I realize this is an older post question, and this is maybe covered on another thread (my apologies in advance);

but can you just manually turn on the "parking" lights and manually turn on the headlights whenever you want to on these 2019 + Cayenne vehicles ?

thank you.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:45 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,626 Likes on 1,375 Posts

Originally Posted by eosrebel
. . . can you just manually turn on the "parking" lights and manually turn on the headlights whenever you want to on these 2019 + Cayenne vehicles ?
Yes and no — It depends on if you are actually parked. With the ignition off, just press the parking light button to turn them on. Long-press the button again to turn them off.

Your headlights default to AUTO mode each time you start your Cayenne. (USA spec vehicle). During daylight, your Daytime Running Lights (DRL) will illuminate. This is the signature “Four light” pattern that illuminates. The main headlights, front parking lights and taillights remain off.

If you wish to manually turn on your headlights during daylight, briefly press the lower left button on the control cluster. The four DRL’s will brighten to full intensity and the center headlight will illuminate, Note the light bars are illuminated — hard to see in the photo:

Turning on the Fog Lights will also turn on the headlights and taillights during daylight. The Fog Lights are the same ones used for static cornering.

It will also activate the rear fog lights which are very bright — much brighter than the taillights.

Note that in the photo below, the headlight icon also illuminated since I was inside my darkened garage.

To activate the parking lights, briefly press the parking light button. The front and rear parking lights will illuminate and the headlights (or daytime running lights) will extinguish. Those affected buttons will also extinguish.

The panel will display a confusing “Hold to switch off lights” message. The message refers to turning off ALL lights. Your parking lights are currently ON. (See below for more on this message)

To completely turn off all exterior lights (and your interior backlighting) press the parking light button for about two seconds. The lights will extinguish and the panel will display “Lights have been switched off” message. NOTE: You do not have to first engage parking lights prior to turning off all lights. Pressing for two seconds will turn off all lights from any lighting mode.

Here’s my issue with the lights, which I discovered while driving through a Christmas light display. You cannot turn off the headlights while driving over 5 mph. If you turned them off while parked, they will reactivate at 6 mph.

So, you say, “Just drive through the light display at 5 mph.” NOPE! The lights reactivate to Auto mode after driving 100 meters, even if you are driving 5 mph.

Last edited by Schnave; 07-02-2022 at 08:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
Needsdecaf (06-27-2022), NelsonLee (07-01-2022), rajatparihar (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 05:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,620 Posts

@Schnave is like the Cayenne Wikipedia. Always with the fantastic posts!

We should re-name the digital owner's manual from "Good to Know" to "Just ask Schnave".

The following users liked this post:
NelsonLee (07-01-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 08:30 PM
eosrebel
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow... thank you.

It is much easier on my 2016 Cayenne (and as still used on the Macan & Cayman/ Boxster).

The new setup on my 2019 Cayenne ... not too good.

Quick Reply: Daytime running light strips