Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Heated windshield and radar detector issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022 | 10:15 AM
pinion
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure I read that someone here had integrated their detector with their factory heads up display but I forgot to save a link to their post. It was also a pricy custom installed option but having the directional indicators in the HUD would be the gold standard.
Old 12-01-2022 | 10:54 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abokor
I have the heated windshield (although I can't tell it is working yet since the temps just dropped here but we've had no snow).
In aviation we check our windshield heat using the magnetic compass. The heating element current will cause an immediate 10-20° compass swing.

I’m guessing the same thing will happen with your Cayenne’s windshield. You probably have a compass in your phone or perhaps a sports watch. The vehicle compass may have a compensator and might not show the change.

Last edited by Schnave; 12-01-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-01-2022 | 11:45 AM
supershaft
Pro

Originally Posted by Schnave
In aviation we check our windshield heat using the magnetic compass. The heating element current will cause an immediate 10-20° compass swing.

I’m guessing the same thing will happen with your Cayenne’s windshield. You probably have a compass in your phone or perhaps a sports watch. The vehicle compass may have a compensator and might not show the change.
What do/did you fly?
Old 12-01-2022 | 11:55 AM
abokor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pinion
Pretty sure I read that someone here had integrated their detector with their factory heads up display but I forgot to save a link to their post. It was also a pricy custom installed option but having the directional indicators in the HUD would be the gold standard.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...r-install.html
The following users liked this post:
pinion (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022 | 11:58 AM
Ron.s
Pro

Originally Posted by Userix
thanks for the pic! Yours is a 9y0 cayenne? That cut out looks promising for mounting my radar detector. I was afraid the cutout would be super small but that seems a decent size for a valentine v1
Can you do a straight front to back view where the cutout is? I want to see if there is a clear line of sight through the rear window, so the radar detector can adequately capture radars coming from the rear.
Most suction cup radar mounts are above the radar unit making it difficult to get high enough in the cutout for the best signal. Here’s a pic of one I made up using an under mount with the detector held on by heavy duty Velcro. Radar units have vents so this might not work for units with bottom vents. This is my Uniden R7 with a mount purchased on Amazon mounted in a Mercedes.

The following users liked this post:
Userix (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022 | 12:25 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supershaft
What do/did you fly?
PM sent. No need to bore everyone. 😀
Old 12-02-2022 | 08:44 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

This is specifically why I avoided both the heated windshield and the thermal and noise insulated windshield in my E-hybrid Coupe spec. Even if you line up a radar detector with the opening in the windshield, it will be blocked from receiving signals from behind of the sides. Also, you use up space for a toll tag.
Old 12-02-2022 | 02:46 PM
Userix
Track Day

How did you supply the power? Did you use a mirror tap? If so, where exactly did you tap into for the power?

Quick Reply: Heated windshield and radar detector issue