Sponsored By:

Turbo GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 10:32 PM
SoCal-Mat
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Turbo GT

I’ve been thinking of picking up a turbo GT for a while now. I’ve found one I like but I have to give up a car. I have an Audi R8 performance spyder that has only seen 3600 miles in 2 years and I am thinking of letting it go. During and after Covid (are we out of Covid) our lifestyle has changed. We have a tow vehicle that we no longer need. I’m a bit worried about the mid life refresh of the cayenne and savage depreciation of the existing GT when that happens. What have been the thoughts and experiences of others?. Will I miss my main sports car for occasional thrills? Will I get 2 years before the refresh? I don’t use the R8 but it seems criminal to sell it what with it being the last of the V10. It’s also criminal sitting there doing nothing as I work from home full time now. GT will get more family use and serve as the main car. I’d appreciate any thoughts/advice from GT owners.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:28 AM
Mcrov718
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey...

R8 is beautiful car. I will share my experience because I have given this soooo much thought and asked so many questions. I just picked up my CTGT yesterday and I have to say I am blown away. Like everyone says, it's a 911 on stilts. I will say this... I just traded in 2022 911 GTS which I loved and 2022 RR Sport V8, CTGT truly the best of both worlds. Only thing RR was better is a tad bit better of a ride and ride height (off road). However, in normal mode the CTGT is smooth and comfortable. I think it's just as fast, if not faster, than my GTS. It's my daily driver now and I plan on taking it on 6 hr+ trips and think it will be more than fine. If concerned about the sport car feel the GT def has it. To sum up, it's a comfortable sports car ( I am 6'3" and 255lbs) and better than most. Message me if you have any questions, I know what you're going through. It was between keeping 2022 911 GTS or CTGT and I can say I am very very happy I made the decision. OH, and the exhaust in sports mode blows away majority of sports cars I've heard including the 911 GTS (doesn't even come close, it sounds so so good).
The following users liked this post:
SoCal-Mat (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 11:25 AM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

Get the Turbo GT, keep the R8 and then down the line you can decide if you drive the R8 even less.
SoCal-Mat (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 12:03 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

What is an R8 worth these days?
Old 10-25-2022, 02:59 PM
NeunEinsEins
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by armanslr
Get the Turbo GT, keep the R8 and then down the line you can decide if you drive the R8 even less.
I have both a Turbo GT and a 2018 R8. The TGT although it has savage acceleration and remarkable cornering ability it is still fundamentally an SUV and a massive hulk compared to the shear precision of something like an R8. I find the R8 a joy to switch to and will undoubtedly be a classic given it is a last of a normally aspirated generation that you can savor every time you fire it up and reverse it out of the garage. You will eventually regret selling the R8

Last edited by NeunEinsEins; 10-25-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:16 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NeunEinsEins
I have both a Turbo GT and a 2018 R8. The TGT although it has savage acceleration and remarkable cornering ability it is still fundamentally an SUV and a massive hulk compared to the shear precision of something like an R8. I find the R8 a joy to switch to and will undoubtedly be a classic given it is a last of a normally aspirated generation that you can savor every time you fire it up and reverse it out of the garage. You will eventually regret selling the R8
I agree, I would keep the R8 if you have garage space and funds for both, otherwise I would still go with keeping the R8 and maybe getting a Cayenne GTS w/light weight package.
George from MD (10-26-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 05:01 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

The Cayenne is more practical but it has massive understeer if pushed too hard, which is not difficult. The engine placement relative to the front axle is far from ideal. Keep both for a while, then make the decision.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:04 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 440 Likes on 197 Posts

I’ve also located one a 2022 with a few hundred miles for MSRP and Ill likely get it. That said I did drive the urus which was also really nice but a bit overpriced. As a Porsche guy I thought/worried that maybe the GT was a little too similar to my other cars (see below)

Thoughts

Old 10-25-2022, 07:10 PM
beamon
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am waiting for the refresh as I don't want to pay $200k to see a newer version come out soon after. Based on recent pictures on internet of the car being tested, the Turbo GT will likely have a proper front spoiler/splitter (which I feel was really lacking to differentiate it from other cayenne models when looking at it from the front). Also it looks like some dashes in headlights and taillights like Taycan. Not major stuff overall as the car will likely have similar power. From what I read, the refresh should be here sometime in 2023, so not too far away.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:28 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RCorsa
I’ve also located one a 2022 with a few hundred miles for MSRP and Ill likely get it. That said I did drive the urus which was also really nice but a bit overpriced. As a Porsche guy I thought/worried that maybe the GT was a little too similar to my other cars (see below)
I was in between a Urus or a Turbo GT, ultimately landed on the Cayenne because I can take it everywhere without drawing too much attention, if I went with a Urus it would have been a bright color like Blu Cepheus, and I just couldn't stomach driving that and parking it at places like Disneyland or the Zoo only to get door dinged by someones kids. It was about a 50K delta between the TGT, worth it to me but it just did not fit in with my current plans for an suv both are great choices to have.

Originally Posted by beamon
I am waiting for the refresh as I don't want to pay $200k to see a newer version come out soon after. Based on recent pictures on internet of the car being tested, the Turbo GT will likely have a proper front spoiler/splitter (which I feel was really lacking to differentiate it from other cayenne models when looking at it from the front). Also it looks like some dashes in headlights and taillights like Taycan. Not major stuff overall as the car will likely have similar power. From what I read, the refresh should be here sometime in 2023, so not too far away.
Maybe MY 2024 will have a refreshed Turbo GT but that's not a guarantee, and even if they do the newer model will always be coming out in a few years time.

Last edited by armanslr; 10-25-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:32 PM
NeunEinsEins
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RCorsa

Thoughts
Don't worry the TGT won't be similar to your others in your fleet ;-) It's an apples to oranges comparison. Don't get me wrong I'm simply in love with my TGT, its a marvel in the management of hurtling around 5000lbs in a way that'd shouldn't be, but it is 1,300lbs heavier than a 911, the center of gravity is higher, the reaction time of the air suspension slower, gearbox is slower, it feels larger and less nimble than your TTS for sure. Once the TGT is primed and loaded into its next move, as in gearbox upshifted, suspension loaded then the differences become smaller, but the response time getting to that point is simply slower than a 911 and I'm also guessing the Taycan, so the level of precision is different.

Last edited by NeunEinsEins; 10-25-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:15 AM
SoCal-Mat
Intermediate

Thanks for all the informative and well reasoned responses. I am going to keep the R8. I am also going to wait for the mid life refresh GT. By that time I shall be able to have both.
George from MD (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 01:16 AM
SoCal-Mat
Intermediate

Mine is worth 208k on the private market.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:58 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

I would keep the R8 myself. Wise choice.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:37 PM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 214 Posts

How about keeping the R8 Perf and getting Cayenne GTS? The CGTS is a superb daily driver- comfy, almost plush as a family transport but can be driven enthusiastically and is as fast and sporting as one can ever want from a SUV. I considered the APR Plus tune but ended up feeling it is superfluous-

Quick Reply: Turbo GT