Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear wiper setting

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022 | 12:37 PM
irvineboy
Racer

Default Rear wiper setting

This reverse setting is automatically checked by default but I’m not sure I understand. When I reverse my car, my rear windshield wipers do NOT turn on.
Old 10-12-2022 | 12:59 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

The PCM doesn’t completely describe the function. A full description is on page 316 in your owner’s manual:

The rear wiper will activate in reverse only when it rains (as detected by the rain sensor on the front windshield) or when the front windshield wipers are ON.

This minimizes you running a wiper over a dry, dirty window. Try it again, this time with the front windshield wipers on. When you reverse, the rear wiper should be activated for a few swipes.

Last edited by Schnave; 10-12-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2022 | 01:17 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

As long as we’re on the subject, here’s another overlooked feature.

To wash the rear window, push the wiper lever forward. This also activates a jet-spray on the rear camera. Try it — put your Cayenne in reverse to view the rear camera on the PCM. Then push the wiper lever forward. You’ll see the sprayer wash the camera. 😎

Old 10-12-2022 | 01:56 PM
irvineboy
Racer

Never paid attention to this since it rarely rains here until today. On the windshield lever (right side of steering wheel) there is a tab that allows you to move the tab up. It goes High, Lo, Int, Off, 1x. I can’t figure out what that’s for. Initially, I thought pushing it to High would make the front windshield wiper go faster but you actually move the big lever up to make it have higher frequency. The button on the side of the lever activates the rear windshield wiper but I don’t think you can control the frequency like you can with the front windshield wiper.

The “high” doesn’t make the front windshield wiper go faster. It doesn’t make the rear windshield wiper go faster or slower either. And not sure what “Int” or “1x” is.
Old 10-12-2022 | 03:05 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irvineboy
Never paid attention to this since it rarely rains here until today. On the windshield lever (right side of steering wheel) there is a tab that allows you to move the tab up. It goes High, Lo, Int, Off, 1x. I can’t figure out what that’s for. Initially, I thought pushing it to High would make the front windshield wiper go faster but you actually move the big lever up to make it have higher frequency. The button on the side of the lever activates the rear windshield wiper but I don’t think you can control the frequency like you can with the front windshield wiper.

The “high” doesn’t make the front windshield wiper go faster. It doesn’t make the rear windshield wiper go faster or slower either. And not sure what “Int” or “1x” is.
You may be confusing the sensitivity adjustment with the wiper operation lever. This is explained in great detail on pages 314-317 of your owner’s manual. Here’s a brief overview:

0 – Windshield wipers off
When the windshield wipers and the ignition are switched off, the wipers move up slightly from their rest position so that the wiping edges are aligned correctly.

1 – Windshield wiper rain sensor (Interval) operation
Move wiper lever upward to the first detent. Use the rain sensitivity switch to adjust how much rain accumulates on the windshield before each wipe. Move UP for more sensitive - wipes with less rain. Move DOWN for less sensitivity - more rain accumulates before a wipe. The picture shows the sensor set to the most sensitive position. Just a little rain accumulates before the wipe cycle.

Note that the scale for the sensitivity is to the left of the switch. The lettering to the right of the switch (HI LO INT OFF 1X) has nothing to do with the sensitivity switch.

2 – Windshield wipers slow
Move wiper lever upward to the second detent.

3 – Windshield wipers fast
Move wiper lever upward to the third detent.

4 – Windshield wiper one-touch operation
Move wiper lever downward and release. The windshield wipers carry out one wiping cycle.
Press and hold the wiper lever downward. The windshield wipers wipe fast.

Last edited by Schnave; 10-12-2022 at 04:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
irvineboy (10-12-2022)
Old 10-14-2022 | 06:57 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Hey @Schnave …I thought there was a maintenance mode for the windshield wipers which move them enough to lift off the glass. I tried the procedure in the manual but haven’t been able to make it work.
Old 10-14-2022 | 07:04 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Hey @Schnave …I thought there was a maintenance mode for the windshield wipers which move them enough to lift off the glass. I tried the procedure in the manual but haven’t been able to make it work.
No worries. The trick is to move to maintenance mode immediately after shutting down the Cayenne. After shutdown, press the wiper lever down for about a second and release. The wipers move to a vertical position for easy wiper replacement. (I’ve used both OEM and Bosch Icon wipers. Happy with both.)

To return to the parked position, turn the key **** one click (or start the vehicle) then press and release the wiper lever. The wipers will park. Easy day!

Last edited by Schnave; 10-14-2022 at 08:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
dasams (10-16-2022), mr700 (08-06-2024), TempeAndy (10-15-2022)
Old 10-15-2022 | 03:15 PM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Schnave ! Worked great. I also may use maintance mode if I leave outside in snowy weather.
Old 10-16-2022 | 06:41 PM
8378hjlafdljfads
Instructor

I never knew there was a backup camera lens washer system, that is great!

Quick Reply: Rear wiper setting