Sponsored By:

Wheel Bolt Torque

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 07:41 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts
Default Wheel Bolt Torque

Does anyone know the wheel bolt torque for Cayenne GTS with 21” wheels?
Old 08-05-2022, 08:10 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,373 Posts

118 ft lbs for all wheel sizes. Use a 19mm hex socket. Lock bolt key located in tool kit with spare tire.

From the latest Porsche Approved Wheels and Tires Manufacturer’s Certificate, attached.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Approved Tires April 2022.pdf (327.9 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by Schnave; 08-05-2022 at 08:23 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Schnave:
3-Pedals (08-05-2022), 8378hjlafdljfads (08-12-2022), ArcticFox (08-06-2022), bobblehead (08-05-2022), chassis (04-10-2023), George from MD (08-05-2022), i386_64 (06-02-2024), Ironman88 (02-03-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-05-2022, 08:27 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
118 ft lbs for all wheel sizes. Use a 19mm hex socket. Lock bolt key located in tool kit with spare tire.

From the latest Porsche Approved Wheels and Tires Manufacturer’s Certificate, attached.

Thank you
Old 12-14-2022, 07:57 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Are these the security bolts pictures above the only version Porsche offers? The ones with the serrated head.

Does Porsche offer a tulip-floral type (like MB, Toyota, etc.)?
Old 12-14-2022, 08:04 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Off topic, I recently changed my wheel to put spare on as the tire needed to be patched. When loosening the bolts from the wheel (and they were never removed before), I realized they were not torqued properly at all. Their torque was slightly above 90 ft lbs, far shy of the 118 ft lbs. When I get a chance, I will stop by the dealer to point this out and see if there is an explanation. They were the easiest lug bolts that I had to break loose (and I use a 4 ft breaker bar not impact) so I know how it feels between various torque figures. To check the torque of the existing bolts, I used a different electronic torque wrench that reports the torque value as it is applied and remembers the highest value. Every bolt was between 90 and 93.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:26 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, 118ftlbs, but almost all Porsches I’ve seen for many years have 19mm wheel bolts there was someone on one of the other threads that has a GTS with 17mm bolts. So best to check.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:51 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
. . . Their torque was slightly above 90 ft lbs, far shy of the 118 ft lbs. When I get a chance, I will stop by the dealer to point this out and see if there is an explanation.
Sounds normal. Loosening torque can be 10% to 30% less than tightening torque. Engineers calculate clamping force required and adjust the initial tightening torque higher to compensate for the factors, among other things, below:
  • When tightening, you are stretching the bolt which requires additional torque. Total torque includes thread and bolt face friction plus bolt stretch torque. When loosening, torque includes the same thread and bolt face friction minus bolt stretch torque.
  • After tightening, the materials fatigue and compress due to clamping force. The actual clamping force — and the torque required to loosen the bolt — will be less than immediately after the initial installation.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...to-tighten-it/
https://www.boltscience.com/pages/a-...g-of-bolts.pdf

Last edited by Schnave; 12-14-2022 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
911car (12-14-2022)
Old 12-14-2022, 10:34 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Yes, 118ftlbs, but almost all Porsches I’ve seen for many years have 19mm wheel bolts there was someone on one of the other threads that has a GTS with 17mm bolts. So best to check.
That would be me with 17’s. Am I the only one with 17mm or did they change on 2023 MY?
Old 12-14-2022, 11:44 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,196 Likes on 1,480 Posts

True story...

I always put winter wheels and tires on my wife's ride and whatever my winter ride of choice is. And I always do them in my garage. About five years ago I am doing the winter wheel swap on her Audi SQ5 and its freezing cold in the garage, plus she came out at least three times interrupting me about the news of the day, or what salad dressing I wanted for dinner, etc...which caused me to lose track of where I was on torquing the lugs. I have a very specific routine which was interrupted. Five days later she is headed home from work on the Fairfax County Parkway and she very calmly called me on her cell "My left rear wheel came off the Audi at 50 mph and it rolled about a half a mile down an embankment".

WHAT?!?!? ARE YOU ALRIGHT? DID YOU HAVE A CRASH? I was beyond stunned. The SQ5 rode straight up on three wheels and she was able to pull over on the shoulder with zero damage to the vehicle. AMAZING. I immediately left work, ran home to grab two floor jacks and one of the summer wheels/tire and found her on the side of the road, with a Fairfax County Pumper Fire Truck with all its lights ablaze "rescuing" her. How embarrassing. Of course the Firemen were all laughing at the knucklehead husband who didn't torque the lugs on that one wheel. They even went and recovered the lost wheel while I put the summer one back on. It took a while before she trusted me to work on her car again.

So, since that day my NEW routine is to do all wheels twice. I go around the car and do all four, then go around again. If I get interrupted, I go around one more time.

The following 6 users liked this post by drcollie:
audihere (04-10-2023), chassis (12-15-2022), gloryrd (04-10-2023), Ron.s (12-15-2022), Schnave (12-14-2022), slilley (12-15-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-15-2022, 09:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 553 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
True story...

I always put winter wheels and tires on my wife's ride and whatever my winter ride of choice is. And I always do them in my garage. About five years ago I am doing the winter wheel swap on her Audi SQ5 and its freezing cold in the garage, plus she came out at least three times interrupting me about the news of the day, or what salad dressing I wanted for dinner, etc...which caused me to lose track of where I was on torquing the lugs. I have a very specific routine which was interrupted. Five days later she is headed home from work on the Fairfax County Parkway and she very calmly called me on her cell "My left rear wheel came off the Audi at 50 mph and it rolled about a half a mile down an embankment".

WHAT?!?!? ARE YOU ALRIGHT? DID YOU HAVE A CRASH? I was beyond stunned. The SQ5 rode straight up on three wheels and she was able to pull over on the shoulder with zero damage to the vehicle. AMAZING. I immediately left work, ran home to grab two floor jacks and one of the summer wheels/tire and found her on the side of the road, with a Fairfax County Pumper Fire Truck with all its lights ablaze "rescuing" her. How embarrassing. Of course the Firemen were all laughing at the knucklehead husband who didn't torque the lugs on that one wheel. They even went and recovered the lost wheel while I put the summer one back on. It took a while before she trusted me to work on her car again.

So, since that day my NEW routine is to do all wheels twice. I go around the car and do all four, then go around again. If I get interrupted, I go around one more time.
Wow!! My routine is torque the wheels, drive a few miles, and torque again. I have previously torques wheels (on MDX), driven a few miles and went to torque a second time and found a few lugs that were barely snug. Some corrosion on the winter wheels from sitting for several months likely prevented them from fully seating initially.

When swapping wheels, I never put the center caps back on until I have completed the torque sequence. 😉
Old 12-15-2022, 12:55 PM
A4EP
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts

True story...

Ouch...what a great story! It is recommended to always re-torque after 50 miles. Your experience is always my fear!
chassis (12-15-2022)
Old 04-10-2023, 12:53 AM
audihere
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hear ya

True story...

Can I just tell you I completely understand where you are coming from. What anyone on here would agree how simple a winter/summer wheel swap is has now turned into a 4 day long fiasco AND I am still not done and probably need 3 more days at this point. In no way shape or form does it have to do with my mechanical skills but the sheer annoyance of the non-stop interruptions from my wife and kids "emergencies" of what seems like every freaking minute these days. Truth be told it is my fault for forgetting to order new 19mm hex bolts for my 955 CTT but I would bet my last dollar it was because I was interrupted.

Last edited by audihere; 04-10-2023 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:42 AM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

My routine is to torque during installation, reset tire pressure monitoring system, go for quick drive to let it reset and then check torque again. Not missed a bolt or a wheel, yet!
chassis (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 12:41 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by rost12
My routine is to torque during installation, reset tire pressure monitoring system, go for quick drive to let it reset and then check torque again. Not missed a bolt or a wheel, yet!
Since we're discussing lug bolts torqueing, I should tell you that my helpful Porsche dealership parts department manager told me last week that some security sockets for locking lug bolts have been discontinued. I was ordering an additional, security socket to have as a backup after temporarily losing mine. (I had left the security socket on a lug bolt before driving away for a minor emergency last week and found the security socket in the middle of an intersection when I went to look for it several hours later. - Lucky!)

I won't know until later this week if I will be buying a second security socket to match the now beat-up one I recovered or if I will buying four new security lug bolts and two new security sockets that fit them.

So ... if you're cautious (or paranoid like me), you might want to check to see if a replacement security socket for your particular locking lug bolts is still available and perhaps obtain one. The code for the security socket is etched in the metal inside the socket.
Old 04-11-2023, 06:58 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 103 Posts

Do the security bolts actually do anything beyond slowing down a winter wheel swap? Is a thief coming prepared to steal your wheels going to skip a car with a security bolt? Do thieves even steal wheels, or is it just easier to take the whole damn car? If I didn't care about re-using the bolt I could pound on a disposable socket head and have that bolt out only 10 seconds slower than the other 4 bolts.

Quick Reply: Wheel Bolt Torque