Sponsored By:

Looking for GTS or Turbo (V8) Oil Change Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 04:07 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
That is absolutely correct. I always keep the Porsches at half or 3/4 full. You will not starve the engine.

If you do go over by 100-200 ml (each bar is 200 ml), you can fix this by doing several back to back redline pulls (ideally higher gears). All piston rings leaks a little oil. You will burn some and oil level will get fixed.
Italian tune up
Old 08-26-2022, 05:49 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Any consequences of truly excess oil might be amplified by racing the engine at high R’s. If it’s overfilled there should be a notice if it’s excessive. I could be wrong but it seems to me that Porsche has a better handle on the correct oil level than users second guessing the gauge. They surely know about condensation after all these years?
Old 08-26-2022, 07:56 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,601 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Any consequences of truly excess oil might be amplified by racing the engine at high R’s. If it’s overfilled there should be a notice if it’s excessive. I could be wrong but it seems to me that Porsche has a better handle on the correct oil level than users second guessing the gauge. They surely know about condensation after all these years?
They do and they say it in the manual that this can happen. But an oil gauge measures fluid level and if the fluid includes condensation, then it will measure higher.

The overfilling is an issue if your level is a lot higher (with oil), to me a lot higher has to be a liter or more in a wet sump engine like this. For a dry sump engine, tolerance is much lower because sump is a specific size and the sump is very small.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:10 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Do you guys prefill the oil filter canister before inserting the new filter? I’m not sure how this would work as any oil you fill into the canister will drain into the engine and not sit there. I thought I’d ask in either case.
Old 09-30-2023, 01:04 PM
TeesTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

I just completed this Cayenne V8 oil change this morning on my 2022 Cayenne GTS. It was very helpful to have some guidance/suggestions. I actually completed this job in just over 2 hours and 15 minutes. Granted, I'm pretty handy with DIY and have all needed tools, but with some guidance I fould job not nearly as difficult/time consuming as many had warned. If Porsche is charging 4 hours for this, they are making a nice profit, since I would assume they could complete in 2 hours. Next time I will not delay my oil change fearing a massive time investment.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-30-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 09:13 PM
TeesTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you guys prefill the oil filter canister before inserting the new filter? I’m not sure how this would work as any oil you fill into the canister will drain into the engine and not sit there. I thought I’d ask in either case.
I do not prefill oil canister. Might lead to 'spilling' oil when putting filter back in the canister.
chassis (10-01-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 10:47 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Just did the oil change on my wife’s 2021 GTS. It was surprisingly straight forward due to the info here and a couple of YouTube videos. Having the 7mm ratchet wrench made the job super easy and no tabs, fasteners etc were broken in the process. I ,however, did notice one of the green fastener bent (likely from the dealer) on the side panel which I was able to straighten out. iCarsoft POR V3 was used to reset the oil service interval. Cheers!
chassis (12-31-2023)
Old 01-01-2024, 12:02 AM
PorscheACC
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 244 Posts

I checked with my Porsche dealer personnel a couple of days ago while my CS9 was repairing, and they confirmed that the dealer procedure implies adding oil and then using the more precise Porsche’s device oil measurement feature to calculate how much more to add to meet the required full level, same as is described, too, in the Porsche’s oil change workshop documents.

Which is why, with the exception of one time with my Porsche, I always received my oil at the exact filled level.

For 50+ years of using motorized vehicles, it always has been the recommended norm in small or large engines to recheck and fill to the full dipstick mark as described in service manuals.

Show me a Technical Service Workshop manual that says it is fine to just add a half *** amount of oil.

In addition, the only time that they did not refill correctly, I was charged for more oil than what they used. Once I mentioned to my advisor, they just took it back to fill it to the full level, with no BS told..

Even more, a quart or more of oil is a lot in some of those controversial new Porsche vehicles that burn multiple quarts of oil within a single oil service interval. It is the difference between a burnt engine or not..

The legal amount of lost oil that the automotive industry, and Porsche, can get away on new, or any vehicle, is 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles. At 10,000 mile service intervals, that will be 10 quarts of oil.!! Every quarter or more helps..

A lot of people(even more women) don't even check oil levels between oil services, since most expect it to be fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by PorscheACC:
chassis (01-01-2024), Woofman (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 12:52 AM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheACC
I checked with my Porsche dealer personnel a couple of days ago while my CS9 was repairing, and they confirmed that the dealer procedure implies adding oil and then using the more precise Porsche’s device oil measurement feature to calculate how much more to add to meet the required full level, same as is described, too, in the Porsche’s oil change workshop documents.

Which is why, with the exception of one time with my Porsche, I always received my oil at the exact filled level.

For 50+ years of using motorized vehicles, it always has been the recommended norm in small or large engines to recheck and fill to the full dipstick mark as described in service manuals.

Show me a Technical Service Workshop manual that says it is fine to just add a half *** amount of oil.

In addition, the only time that they did not refill correctly, I was charged for more oil than what they used. Once I mentioned to my advisor, they just took it back to fill it to the full level, with no BS told..

Even more, a quart or more of oil is a lot in some of those controversial new Porsche vehicles that burn multiple quarts of oil within a single oil service interval. It is the difference between a burnt engine or not..

The legal amount of lost oil that the automotive industry, and Porsche, can get away on new, or any vehicle, is 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles. At 10,000 mile service intervals, that will be 10 quarts of oil.!! Every quarter or more helps..

A lot of people(even more women) don't even check oil levels between oil services, since most expect it to be fine.
Agreed about the oil fill…there is no excuse other than it’s quick and maybe to make a buck.

Actually Porsche specs 12.9 Quarts per 10k as still normal. I wonder how a car using that much oil would fare with EPA? My 2023 GTS was using a Quart in about 950 miles but that wasn’t the reason Porsche bought it back…it was still under the “normal” consumption. My excess oil consumption only showed up as a rough idle at startup. Long term that much oil would have to result in carbon build up and shorten the life of the Catalytic Converters.
IMO, there is no excuse for the wide disparity of consumption among Porsche vehicles although all V8’s seem to be users!
Old 01-01-2024, 11:47 AM
retom
Pro

Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

Has anyone used an oil extractor in the new V8 engines?
There is a plugged oil dipstick tube through which you should be able to suck the oil from the oil pan.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:29 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnave
Rennlister celiawessen posted an excellent, detailed 2019 Turbo oil change tutorial with pictures here:

https://www.celiamania.com/?p=1688
:
2023 GTS here
regarding tightening the hose clamps to the turbo inlet pipes (7mm nut on the clamp) , any idea as to how I can apply the correct tightening torque so that the rubber hose is not pinched ? ( the clamp is on the rubber flex snorkel that goes to the turbo inlet)

Last edited by Greyphantom; 02-03-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:13 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greyphantom
2023 GTS here
regarding tightening the hose clamps to the turbo inlet pipes (7mm nut on the clamp) , any idea as to how I can apply the correct tightening torque so that the rubber hose is not pinched ?
I personally counted the number of teeth in front of the moving part before loosening and then tightened it back to the same number of teeth. I think mine is either 11 or 13 of those teeth. Its pretty snug to get there.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

I personally counted the number of teeth in front of the moving part before loosening and then tightened it back to the same number of teeth. I think mine is either 11 or 13 of those teeth. Its pretty snug to get there.
thanks for the quick response, I normally do this but for some reason I forgot to mark the area prior to removal
Exactly, it’s quite snug to get there and you might end up over tightening if tightening with a ratchet wrench, I’m going to try this tool over the weekend, will advice (Toledo Hose Nut Driver Socket Adaptor)
Old 02-03-2024, 01:45 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyphantom
2023 GTS here
regarding tightening the hose clamps to the turbo inlet pipes (7mm nut on the clamp) , any idea as to how I can apply the correct tightening torque so that the rubber hose is not pinched ?
Are you talking about the large diameter (approx 3") rubber snorkel tubes from air cleaner assembly to turbos?
Old 02-03-2024, 05:55 PM
Greyphantom
Instructor

@chassisAre you talking about the large diameter (approx 3") rubber snorkel tubes from air cleaner assembly to turbos?”

That’s correct ..!

Btw the entire procedure may have taken around under 3 hours for the oil change that’s because I was cleaning the underside while I had the covers off.

also any idea where the MAF sensor is located on this engine ?

Last edited by Greyphantom; 02-03-2024 at 06:22 PM.
chassis (02-03-2024)

Quick Reply: Looking for GTS or Turbo (V8) Oil Change Procedure