Sponsored By:

Air Suspension Level Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 09:20 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 913 Posts
Default Air Suspension Level Question

I did some searching and have seen it stated that Cayenne allows for 6 different levels + loading level. In a 2022 Macan, I see ride level button that has a "low" setting and a "normal" setting. I also see an "offroad" button that has higher than normal. Plus it has the loading level. Does that means Cayenne has 2 extra levels to the Macan?

Can someone tell me how many "lights" does the "level" button on the center stack in cayenne have? Macan has just a single bar, meaning "on" or "off".
Old 03-18-2022, 10:35 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,356 Posts

The Cayenne’s air suspension offers five different chassis heights, plus a loading level. The Cayenne chassis level automatically adjusts according to vehicle speed. The spoiler on the Coupé and all Turbos deploys at various speeds to enhance handling. Those Germans think of everything!

Four of the the levels can be manually selected in the PCM. Certain vehicle speeds trigger automatic level changes, detailed below:

1. Terrain Level.
Set 2.21 inches above Normal Level. Selectable at speeds of up to 19 mph for extreme off-road use. Engaged when Rock Mode selected. Deselected automatically and lowers to High Level at 25 mph. Capable of approaching gradients of 31.8 degrees while clearing the front overhang of the Cayenne.

2. High Level.
Set 1.03 inches above Normal Level. Selectable at speeds of up to 50 mph for off-road use. Engaged when Sand, Mud, Gravel Mode selected. Deselected automatically and lowers to Normal Level at 75 mph.

3. Normal Level.
The standard ride height providing 7.4 inches of ground clearance. This is almost an inch lower than the 8.26” of clearance provided by steel-sprung suspensions.

4. Low Level.
Set .94 of an inch below Normal Level. Automatically selected when the Cayenne accelerates beyond 78 mph. Also engaged when Sport+ mode is selected.

5. Deep Level.
Set 1.33 inches below Normal Level. Automatically selected when the car accelerates beyond 130 mph and deselected below 80 mph. Not manually selectable.

6. Loading (Drop Frame) Level.
Set 2.12 inches below Normal Level. This is the lowest available setting, enabling easier loading of the vehicle. Only selectable when vehicle is stationary by pressing a switch in the cargo compartment. Once you drive off and exceed 3 mph, the Cayenne’s suspension automatically reverts to Normal Level.

Last edited by Schnave; 03-18-2022 at 12:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
daveo4porsche (03-18-2022), gloryrd (04-26-2023)
Old 03-18-2022, 12:13 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

The Cayenne shows current ride height with icons displayed on the right side of the instrument panel. Note: In normal mode, no icon is displayed. I’m not aware of a separate icon for Deep level.

From high to low:

TERRAIN — Two up arrows.

HIGH — One up arrow

LOW One down arrow. (No icon displayed for Normal level.)

The icon will flash during transition between levels. The icon will display the direction of the transition with a small arrow:

Drop Frame, or Loading level is actuated by pressing the switch located on the right side of the cargo compartment. This will activate a message on the instrument display. A red light will also illuminate on the switch.

Here’s a diagram illustrating the automatic level changes vs vehicle speed:

Last edited by Schnave; 03-18-2022 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Woofman (03-10-2023)
Old 03-18-2022, 01:40 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

This is whats confusing me.

- The button on the left for adjusting height - 2 levels, up and down
- Offroad button on the right side of the center stack, 1 level (goes back to normal when lowered)
- The button in the trunk, very low mode for loading, 1 level (and goes back to normal when raised)

But as far as “driving” 90% of the time goes, you just use the left button correct? Which seems to have a normal mode and low mode. Or does it have 3 modes?

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 03-18-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 01:58 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

I can’t speak about the Macan. It may have the center console height and off-road adjustments you are referring to. But on the Cayenne, chassis height is selected in the PCM. The Drop Frame height is selected with a button in the cargo compartment. Here’s the Cayenne’s center console, below:

Last edited by Schnave; 03-18-2022 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:03 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnave
I can’t speak about the Macan. It may have the center console height adjustments you are referring to. But on the Cayenne, chassis height is selected in the PCM. The Drop Frame height is selected with a button in the cargo compartment. Here’s the Cayenne’s center console, below:

I see. And in PCM, there are 5 settings in Cayenne?

In Macan, there is a height button on the left stack right below suspension button. This has low mode or normal mode. Then on the right side around lane keep assist button, there is an “Offroad” button that raises the car higher than normal. So with these two buttons, you have 3 heights, low, normal, high (terrain).

Then there is the trunk button that lowers the car lower than “low” mode. But this isnt a drivable mode.

So drivable mode count in Macan is 3. What is it on Cayenne? 5?
Old 03-18-2022, 02:20 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Cayenne has five chassis levels available for driving, plus the stationary Drop Frame (Loading) level.
Four of the levels are manually selectable in the PCM:
  1. Terrain
  2. High
  3. Normal
  4. Low
The fifth drive mode, Deep level, is not manually selectable and is automatically selected above 130 mph and deselected below 80 mph.

Check out my post #2, above, for all the details.
3-Pedals (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 02:25 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Cayenne has five chassis levels available for driving, plus the stationary Drop Frame (Loading) level.
Four of the levels are manually selectable in the PCM:
  1. Terrain
  2. High
  3. Normal
  4. Low
The fifth drive mode, Deep level, is not manually selectable and is automatically selected above 130 mph and deselected below 80 mph.

Check out my post #2, above, for all the details.
Thank you, this is great.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:21 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 167 Posts

I can’t speak about the Macan. It may have the center console height and off-road adjustments you are referring to. But on the Cayenne, chassis height is selected in the PCM. The Drop Frame height is selected with a button in the cargo compartment. Here’s the Cayenne’s center console, below:

I currently have a 2019 Cayenne S with the spring suspension. The air ride suspension video in the configurator shows the button in the rear of the car lowering just the back end. Is that how it really works? It would be great if I could lower the entire car making it easier to load my wife into the car. I have to lift her under both arms to get her bum over the seat bolster. It looks like no matter what I would save an inch or so with just the normal mode but I was hoping for a bit more.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:56 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redyps
. . . The air ride suspension video in the configurator shows the button in the rear of the car lowering just the back end. Is that how it really works? It would be great if I could lower the entire car making it easier to load my wife into the car. I have to lift her under both arms to get her bum over the seat bolster. It looks like no matter what I would save an inch or so with just the normal mode but I was hoping for a bit more.
Good question. So I just went out with a tape measure and checked it out.

Yes, the drop frame function lowers the rear bumper about 2 inches. The front suspension does not lower at all. However, given its distance from the pivot point, the passenger seat lowers about 5/8”. See figure. Note the exaggerated angle for clarity.

You are correct that the air suspension sits 1” lower in normal mode than the steel spring suspension. But there is a bit more . . . the suspension in Low mode drops almost another inch. I measured the highest point my 14-way passenger seat bolsters lowered to the lowest seat position with the suspension set to Low. It measured 28 1/4” from the garage floor. With Drop Frame activated, the seat measured 27 5/8”.

Another thread discussed difficult entry / exit with the seat height and if running boards / side steps are available. Unfortunately, not for the 9Y0. We discussed using a small step to aid the passenger’s entry into the vehicle.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ide-steps.html

Last edited by Schnave; 03-09-2023 at 10:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
mgx1020 (03-09-2023), redyps (03-10-2023), Woofman (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 12:44 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Good question. So I just went out with a tape measure and checked it out.

Yes, the drop frame function lowers the rear bumper about 2 inches. The front suspension does not lower at all. However, given its distance from the pivot point, the passenger seat lowers about 5/8”. See figure. Note the exaggerated angle for clarity.

You are correct that the air suspension sits 1” lower in normal mode than the steel spring suspension. But there is a bit more . . . the suspension in Low mode drops almost another inch. I measured the highest point my 14-way passenger seat bolsters lowered to the lowest seat position with the suspension set to Low. It measured 28 1/4” from the garage floor. With Drop Frame activated, the seat measured 27 5/8”.

Another thread discussed difficult entry / exit with the seat height and if running boards / side steps are available. Unfortunately, not for the 9Y0. We discussed using a small step to aid the passenger’s entry into the vehicle.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ide-steps.html
Thank you for taking the measurements and the drop frame illustration. My bolsters are 29 1/4" from the garage floor. 27 5/8" would be a huge improvement. And yes, I tried a small riser/step but it didn't work. There was no way to get her close to where her bum was right next to and facing the bolster.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:11 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

Thank you for taking the measurements and the drop frame illustration. My bolsters are 29 1/4" from the garage floor. 27 5/8" would be a huge improvement. And yes, I tried a small riser/step but it didn't work. There was no way to get her close to where her bum was right next to and facing the bolster.
Does she have some upper body strength?

You can try these so that she can support some of her own weight.

redyps (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:38 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
Does she have some upper body strength?

You can try these so that she can support some of her own weight.
Thank you for the suggestion. She does have upper body strength but her early onset Alzheimer's (now yr 11) does not allow her to meaningfully help. While standing inside the open door, I ask to turn and give her a nudge and continue that to where her bum is facing the bolster. At that point, I lift her while encouraging her to duck her head. Once I have her in the seat, I give her a right-side hip check while pulling up her left shoulder. That gets her upright. Then I can strap her in with the seatbelt. Lowering the seat bolster is my best opportunity for minimizing the strain on me. I already have the seat as low as it will go. The air ride suspension may give me a bit less physical stress. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:31 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,027 Likes on 550 Posts

Thank you for the suggestion. She does have upper body strength but her early onset Alzheimer's (now yr 11) does not allow her to meaningfully help. While standing inside the open door, I ask to turn and give her a nudge and continue that to where her bum is facing the bolster. At that point, I lift her while encouraging her to duck her head. Once I have her in the seat, I give her a right-side hip check while pulling up her left shoulder. That gets her upright. Then I can strap her in with the seatbelt. Lowering the seat bolster is my best opportunity for minimizing the strain on me. I already have the seat as low as it will go. The air ride suspension may give me a bit less physical stress. Fingers crossed.
How about putting her at the back?

If you have AS, you can also use the trunk button to drop the rear as noted above.

I am pretty sure the Macan rear seats are lower than the front. Not sure if cayenne is same.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:40 AM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dyim
How about putting her at the back?

If you have AS, you can also use the trunk button to drop the rear as noted above.

I am pretty sure the Macan rear seats are lower than the front. Not sure if cayenne is same.
I have tried, it is actually more difficult than the back. The front door area gives me the most room to maneuver. From all the feedback, AS seems like a must have when I order a '24 in June/July.
chassis (03-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Level Question