Sponsored By:

Running Boards/Side Steps

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 07:42 AM
OZCAR
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running Boards/Side Steps

Are these available for a 2022 Cayenne? My wife’s worried about damaging the seat bolster as she gets in & out.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:40 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Sorry, OEM running boards are available only for the previous generation Cayenne. For 2019+ Cayennes only aftermarket boards / bars are available.

Post below is from this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ng-boards.html

Originally Posted by Schnave
I found that most of the aftermarket running boards, or sometimes called “nerf bars” for the tubular style, get poor ratings. The stainless steel reportedly begins to rust within a year.

Use this search term in Google: "2019 Cayenne nerf bars". Below is just one of many results on Amazon, eBay, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Wotefusi-Runn.../dp/B07LFZJT4L

​​​​​​​
Old 05-22-2022, 09:42 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,356 Posts

In the absence of running boards, a couple options may minimize bolster wear:

** Get the Easy Entry option. This raises the steering wheel and slides the seat rearward with ignition off and driver’s door is opened. This is not the same as Comfort Access. You must order 14 or 18-way seats to get the Easy Entry, which includes electric steering column adjustment. 8-way seats come paired with a with manually adjusted steering wheel. The 18-way seats also lower the seat bolsters as part of the Easy Entry.

See this thread posted by @macanakey for more info: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...it-s-here.html

​​​​​​** The air suspension sits 0.9 inches lower than the spring suspension in normal mode. Even better, if you park it in “LOW” mode, it will sit 1.6 inches lower.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:37 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

I apologize for resurrecting this thread but is there any new information about techniques or modifications that could help my diminutive 4' 11", 74 year old increasingly physically challenged wife climb into our recently purchased 2022 Cayenne?

Did she complain about the difficulty of getting into the Cayenne that we test drove two weeks ago? No, she waited until several days ago to start complaining vigorously. If I had known this was going to be an issue, I would have continued to wait for a Panamera allocation instead of bailing out and buying an in-stock Cayenne.

I've been using suggestions I've found so far on this forum. We've dedicated memory position 3 for both front seats to be her entry/exit seat position although she will rarely drive the Cayenne. Since she sometimes forgets to lower her seat until after we're parked, I've taken to lowing the front passenger seat for her using the driver seat controls. I'm also lowing the air suspension to its lowest position. It would be more pleasant if the passenger seat would lower with a quick push of memory button 3 but she has to press it continuously which seems to take "forever".

Getting her butt over the side seat boaster seems to be her biggest challenge. I'm going to start using the step stool I used to assist elderly relatives into the minivan I sold last week. Maybe that's our best solution but it's just something more to hassle with every time we go anywhere. .

I had often said that I would never own an SUV although I had never considered the Cayenne to be one. I detest the idea of "running boards" but I'm going to look into them tomorrow at local businesses. I wouldn't be as hesitant if Porsche sold running boards for the current generation Cayenne similar to those they sold for the previous generation Cayenne.

If anyone has additional entry/exit strategies or know of equipment that might work well, I would appreciate your input.

The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 03:06 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

I was thinking stepstool myself. Also think about a yoga-type step stool. Maybe she will like that better, because it's what the younger girls think is cool.

Link below:

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-04-2022, 06:38 PM
Ron.s
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 128 Posts

The issue with the running boards might be more than looks. They don’t have enough width, so they can be difficult to use. The other thing is getting your leg dirty on exit since it’s almost impossible to get a foot on them. My wife wanted them on our last SUV until I had a loaner with them. She adapted once there was no other option.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:47 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chassis
I was thinking stepstool myself. Also think about a yoga-type step stool. Maybe she will like that better, because it's what the younger girls think is cool.
Thanks for the suggestion. A six inch high platform like that wouldn't work as well as the 9 inch high step stool we're using which folds compactly. My wife and I had a somewhat emotional conversation about it this afternoon - emotional on her part since I'm a "science guy". A significant part of the problem is her frustration with her worsening physical condition. We may be at the point where I'm going to have to accept that we're going to have to use a step stool to get her in a vehicle as high as a Cayenne. I realize now that a Panamera would have been much more practical for my wife and that the Cayenne may not be practical in the long term. My wife may also need to reevaluate her plan to buy a plug-in hybrid Lexus NX450h SUV which might also have seats that are too high up - she's on a wait list for one. .

I'll inquire on Tuesday to see if the Porsche dealership people have any helpful ideas. I would be willing to have running boards installed if there are some that look as decent and unobtrusive as the ones Porsche sold for the previous generation Cayenne. I would especially be willing to do it if the Porsche dealer service department would install them or at least be involved.

Last edited by Woofman; 09-04-2022 at 06:48 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-04-2022, 07:08 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron.s
The issue with the running boards might be more than looks. They don’t have enough width, so they can be difficult to use. The other thing is getting your leg dirty on exit since it’s almost impossible to get a foot on them. My wife wanted them on our last SUV until I had a loaner with them. She adapted once there was no other option.
A brother-in-law has a Chevy "Subdivision" or similar GM behemoth that has power running boards that drop down and extend when one of its door was opened. I just remembered how much my wife liked the feature.

We confirmed today that the seat bolster is a very significant barrier to my wife entering and exiting the Cayenne. The front seats in the Toyota Sienna that I carted her around in for 8 years were probably about the same height as the Cayenne front seats but the seat cushions in the Sienna were flat and she could just slide in and out. She has to lift her butt over the seat cushion side bolster to get into the Cayenne.

Maybe my wife can find a way to adapt. She reminded me today that she is 4' 10" tall instead of 4' 11" tall!

Thanks for the reply!
The following users liked this post:
icemang (09-05-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 07:51 PM
rjk25
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

yes .. wish there was an option i know my side bolsters are taking a beating...
Old 09-05-2022, 11:29 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Woofman
a Chevy "Subdivision"!
okay that's funny

Quick Reply: Running Boards/Side Steps