Sponsored By:

Cold Weather - Air Suspension Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 04:41 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 708 Likes on 494 Posts
Default Cold Weather - Air Suspension Dropping

For those driving a Cayenne with air suspension and located in cold climates (MN, etc.) have you experienced the rear suspension settling down a couple of inches with the car parked for a few hours? The dealer says they see this regularly in colder weather, something about the seals shrinking. It's no big deal as it pumps itself up as soon as I open any door but just wondering if others have experienced the same.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:33 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
For those driving a Cayenne with air suspension and located in cold climates (MN, etc.) have you experienced the rear suspension settling down a couple of inches with the car parked for a few hours? The dealer says they see this regularly in colder weather, something about the seals shrinking. It's no big deal as it pumps itself up as soon as I open any door but just wondering if others have experienced the same.
I did. Coming out to go home from work it was fully lowered in the rear but not in the front. Started it and no warning lights/everything went back to normal so didn’t think about it again. Figured and it sounds like it is just a quirk of the system.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:00 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 184 Posts

Cold weather hasn’t affected it. Suspect a slow leak in system. The allroads I owned with gen 1 of the air suspension had this issue which was generally fixable.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 10:21 AM
mattjtaylor50
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
Hey, I live in Alberta and have noticed this on my '20 Cayenne S, especially when it's really cold and the car is parked outside for an extended period.
minn19 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 10:53 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. Interestingly, last night I put my Terrain mode into the highest setting, parked the suv in my heated garage and when I came out this morning, it was sitting at the same height that it was when I parked it. It's not a big deal. I was just wondering whether they all dropped when parked in cold weather. I see my dealer has a 2022 GTS sitting on the lot. I'll have to go back and see what it looks like.
minn19 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 12:10 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rdboxster
Cold weather hasn’t affected it. Suspect a slow leak in system. The allroads I owned with gen 1 of the air suspension had this issue which was generally fixable.
Interesting, it's only a happened a couple of times and only on those really cold days. -10 or so. Good to know though and thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:56 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by minn19
Interesting, it's only a happened a couple of times and only on those really cold days. -10 or so. Good to know though and thanks for the heads up.
I parked my car at work this morning about 2 hours ago. Its 8F today - so far the rear suspension is staying put. We regularly get temps in the -10 to -15F range where I live, with overnight temps around -20F. I suspect the seals give up a bit at those temps. But I suspect the problem is with a branch valve to the rear suspension rather than the individual air springs. the car dropped the same on both sides and the front of the car was unaffected. The dealer had no explanation for that other than "the front and rear suspensions are set up differently".
minn19 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 12:05 AM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

probably a leak, I had one before
Old 01-12-2022, 12:15 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solrac6262
probably a leak, I had one before
It could be. The odd thing is that in the morning before I went to work it was in the normal position. My garage isn't heated so it was 15-20 below in there to. It only happened twice and both times after my AM commute to work IIRC.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:26 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by minn19
It could be. The odd thing is that in the morning before I went to work it was in the normal position. My garage isn't heated so it was 15-20 below in there to. It only happened twice and both times after my AM commute to work IIRC.
Since leaving my suv in "high" mode overnight a couple of days ago, I haven't seen it drop again in normal mode. Suv was in my heated garage last night but has been sitting outside today for a couple of hours with no drop and the temps are -13C (9F), so warmer than earlier in the week. I wonder if putting it in high terrain mode overnight "exercised" a stuck seal? I guess I'll see once the temps head back to deep freeze territory.

These vehicles are designed and tested in Germany - you'd think they'd have a seal setup to deal with the colder weather. On the other hand, it levels up as soon as you pull on the door handle so I guess it's no big deal. It just looks a bit odd with the back end sitting 2" lower than the front end when parked in cold weather.
minn19 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 11:31 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I drove by a neighbour’s house yesterday and the just rear of their E-class wagon was dumped - reminding me of this thread.

Old 01-16-2022, 12:13 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 147 Posts

My wife's 2021 E450 wagon was at the dealer getting a new compressor this week. Internal seals failure they blamed on the cold although they didn't write that on the ticket. I wonder whether Porsche and MB have the same supplier.

Last edited by icemang; 01-16-2022 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:43 AM
Doubleu Person
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a leak in my front left that the tire almost touch the body, I haven't notice anything apart from when i drove the car it wasn't in alightment, steering bit heavy toward the left side. Then i went away out of town parked the car for 4 - 5 days, came back and it was clear that something was wrong. (As shown in Pic) I went to the dealer they had it replaced with a new one. Now it still dropped a little when parked overnight but not only one side but both front (will post video clip later), so i'm not too sure if it normal for this model. P.S I'm live in Thailand therefore it wasn't a cold weather for me.

Old 02-03-2022, 11:47 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Alberta, and when the temp drops below -30 it definitely settles into the lowest position. We had about 3 weeks of brutal cold around xmas and I was away from my garage and every morning it was sitting down nice and squat. Soon as I fired it up it was back to normal and no ill effects at all.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:55 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gasguzlr
I live in Alberta, and when the temp drops below -30 it definitely settles into the lowest position. We had about 3 weeks of brutal cold around xmas and I was away from my garage and every morning it was sitting down nice and squat. Soon as I fired it up it was back to normal and no ill effects at all.
The front of mine stays put, it’s just thee rears that drop in -30C.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather - Air Suspension Dropping