Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Build Advice Sought: 2022 Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 03:30 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

the fact that all these manufactures market ceramics as “better brakes” yet leave unspoken what aspect is actually better is marketing speak being done at the highest level.

ceramics _ARE_ better brakes - they are thermally superior, lighter, no brake dust, engineered for appearance, and will last much much longer than steel brakes in most any circumstances a street car will encounter.

all manufactures claim ceramics are better and they are - no manufacturer claims they improve stopping distances (other than brembo for their unqualified comparision to their F1 ceramics vs. “conventional steel brakes” what ever that means)

Porsche says: Better brakes
Customer Hears: shorter stopping distances (because what else could better mean? in terms of brakes?)
Porsche smiles: no comment

the fact that you think better brakes means shorter stopping distance is reasonable expectations, but it’s not what you’re getting…

they know what they are doing…and Porsche is masterful in their marketing

PCCB’s are no question the best braking system on the market for all aspects of braking systems - what is left unsaid is that most braking systems today can stop your vehicle in as short a distance as possible one two or three times in a row because all braking systems are more powerful than your tire grip…but most braking systems will experience thermal fade far sooner than Porsche’s braking system - seriously drive a Corvette off the lot with stell brakes and onto the track and I defy you to not overheat the brakes by lap 3…not their ZR1 mind you - any other Corvette…BMW 3/4 series, same problem unless you get the competition model - Porsche - nope - their entire line off the lot can head to the track and you will most ikley not overheat the brakes - this is rare!!!

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-02-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:40 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

What does everyone think of this build? I am focusing on performance options. Is PDCC and Rear wheels steer a must? Those options push me closer to $140k and I'd like to be closer to $130k. I'll be driving this car predominantly in New York and Northern NJ.

Thoughts?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN99NB42
Old 09-02-2021, 03:43 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
the fact that all these manufactures market ceramics as “better brakes” yet leave unspoken what aspect is actually better is marketing speak being done at the highest level.

ceramics _ARE_ better brakes - they are thermally superior, lighter, no brake dust, engineered for appearance, and will last much much longer than steel brakes in most any circumstances a street car will encounter.

all manufactures claim ceramics are better and they are - no manufacturer claims they improve stopping distances (other than brembo for their unqualified comparision to their F1 ceramics vs. “conventional steel brakes” what ever that means)

Porsche says: Better brakes
Customer Hears: shorter stopping distances (because what else could better mean? in terms of brakes?)
Porsche smiles: no comment

the fact that you think better brakes means shorter stopping distance is reasonable expectations, but it’s not what you’re getting…

they know what they are doing…and Porsche is masterful in their marketing

PCCB’s are no question the best braking system on the market for all aspects of braking systems - what is left unsaid is that most braking systems today can stop your vehicle in as short a distance as possible one two or three times in a row because all braking systems are more powerful than your tire grip…but most braking systems will experience thermal fade far sooner than Porsche’s braking system - seriously drive a Corvette off the lot with stell brakes and onto the track and I defy you to not overheat the brakes by lap 3…not their ZR1 mind you - any other Corvette…BMW 3/4 series, same problem unless you get the competition model - Porsche - nope - their entire line off the lot can head to the track and you will most ikley not overheat the brakes - this is rare!!!
that hasn't been my experience in previous porsche's. i have never been all that impressed with their steel brakes, they work well but never did a superior job at gripping harder than average.
maybe their steel brakes fade less than the competition but that's all i have seen.
there is no changing anyone's mind here, they are made up and in a silo.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:50 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

According to Matt Farrah. The Carbon ceramics are good.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:01 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

Sticky summer tires will make far more difference in the braking distance than PCCBs on all season tires. They are far from a must have but if you have an extra 10 grand and like the looks (and no dust) go for it. But remember they're going to cost $10K to replace too.

Daveo summed it up perfectly.

Last edited by George from MD; 09-02-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
What does everyone think of this build? I am focusing on performance options. Is PDCC and Rear wheels steer a must? Those options push me closer to $140k and I'd like to be closer to $130k. I'll be driving this car predominantly in New York and Northern NJ.

Thoughts?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN99NB42
Rear axle steering is a must be, it makes the car more nimble.

PDCC: It’s good to have. I test drove cars with and without PDCC although it’s obvious drive better with PDCC, I can live without it if I am on budget. Check out the PDCC thread to find out more information. I would get it if I am already spending $130k.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:22 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Rear axle steering is a must be, it makes the car more nimble.

PDCC: It’s good to have. I test drove cars with and without PDCC although it’s obvious drive better with PDCC, I can live without it if I am on budget. Check out the PDCC thread to find out more information. I would get it if I am already spending $130k.
I went with the Carbon Ceramics and the Rear wheel steer. I would do the PDCC if it was worth it. Being in NY i am not sure I'll be able to actually get the benefit of the PDCC. I'm on the fence.

EDIT: I think im gonna go with the PDCC. Here is the updated build. http://www.porsche-code.com/PNH4HRB3

Last edited by EmMHoLLa; 09-02-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:11 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,982 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
Sticky summer tires will make far more difference in the braking distance than PCCBs on all season tires. They are far from a must have but if you have an extra 10 grand and like the looks (and no dust) go for it. But remember they're going to cost $10K to replace too.

Daveo summed it up perfectly.
they actually cost way more than the "option" price to "replace" all four rotors and pads...

when I checked my GT3 from suncaost - parts cost (before tax/shipping) was $28,xxx.xx for 4 rotors and pads…they are wicked expensive to replace - you can have 4 new rotors and pads _OR_ an entire Honda Accord Premium Hybrid - your choice for $30,000'ish by the time tax/shipping - notes these costs do not include install labor.

$26,000 for a new set of 4 rotors from suncoast

Last edited by daveo4porsche; 09-02-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:37 PM
CanuckGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

I went with the Carbon Ceramics and the Rear wheel steer. I would do the PDCC if it was worth it. Being in NY i am not sure I'll be able to actually get the benefit of the PDCC. I'm on the fence.
EDIT: I think im gonna go with the PDCC. Here is the updated build. http://www.porsche-code.com/PNH4HRB3
I felt the same was about pdcc and didn't do it, but i don't think you'll regret thats for sure.
Nice job on the pccb!
Cheers
Old 09-02-2021, 07:00 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you need a panoramic roof?
Lightweight package reduces weight of about 50 lbs in places farthest from the center of gravity and that will make the car handle much more nimble than PCCBs.

This is how I would spec if I wanted full beans performance.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZHKX66
Old 09-02-2021, 09:50 PM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Originally Posted by s85b50
Do you need a panoramic roof?
Lightweight package reduces weight of about 50 lbs in places farthest from the center of gravity and that will make the car handle much more nimble than PCCBs.

This is how I would spec if I wanted full beans performance.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZHKX66
I don't need it but it's one of my favorite features on cars. I like letting light into the cabin so the lightweight package isn't that attractive to me.

Reason why I I'm going with pccb is because I drop a base model pretty aggressively and I felt like it took the car a long time to stop compared to a friend's Urus.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:11 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Braking performance is a combination of 1. mating surface area between the rotors and the pad (commonly inferred from rotor diameter, bigger the better) and 2. friction coefficient due to brake pad compound (ceramic/semi-metallic, metallic).
The higher the friction coefficient, the better the stopping power. Where PCCB shines is consistency of braking performance i.e. consistent braking lap after lap, not the maximum stopping force as some might believe.

I don't need it but it's one of my favorite features on cars. I like letting light into the cabin so the lightweight package isn't that attractive to me.

Reason why I I'm going with pccb is because I drop a base model pretty aggressively and I felt like it took the car a long time to stop compared to a friend's Urus.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:55 AM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Originally Posted by s85b50
Braking performance is a combination of 1. mating surface area between the rotors and the pad (commonly inferred from rotor diameter, bigger the better) and 2. friction coefficient due to brake pad compound (ceramic/semi-metallic, metallic).
The higher the friction coefficient, the better the stopping power. Where PCCB shines is consistency of braking performance i.e. consistent braking lap after lap, not the maximum stopping force as some might believe.
So to be clear the PCCB's won't decrease the stopping distance on the Cayenne? Is that correct?
Old 09-03-2021, 01:37 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,803 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by CanuckGT4
Interesting. Even Porsche claims "exceptionally short braking distances". Seems odd to mention that if all their braking systems have identical braking distances.
Hi CanuckGT4. I’m reminded of an aspirin commercial during the 70’s : “Nothing works faster than our brand!” Yes . . . but they all work in the exact same amount of time.

My father told me of a beer commercial from the old days when glass bottles were returned and reused. “We sanitize our bottles before refilling them!” Yes . . . but ALL beer companies sanitized the bottles. Regardless, sales of the crappy beer skyrocketed. 😃 Marketing - they’ll mislead you just to make a buck.

Last edited by Schnave; 09-03-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:57 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 230 Posts

Holy crap $27K to replace rotors and pads?? That sure puts PCCBs in perspective......

Quick Reply: Build Advice Sought: 2022 Cayenne GTS