Sponsored By:

Center taillight removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 11:26 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Center taillight removal

Anyone have instructions or a video that shows how to remove/replace the center taillight?

I have found the rear side taillight removal instructions but nothing for the center section attached to the tailgate.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:11 AM
magicspot
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont have a video and I didnt do it myself, but I had my shop replace the center and side tailights. For a while they couldnt figure out how to get the center light out. Finally, they found some hidden screws for the center light that required the spoiler to be up for access. There were no instructions or anything with the OEM lights. This was on a cayenne coupe. Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
Heegoogoo1 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:59 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by magicspot
I dont have a video and I didnt do it myself, but I had my shop replace the center and side tailights. For a while they couldnt figure out how to get the center light out. Finally, they found some hidden screws for the center light that required the spoiler to be up for access. There were no instructions or anything with the OEM lights. This was on a cayenne coupe. Hope that helps.
That the CHMSL mounted at the top - I'm looking for instructions for the light bar with "porsche" lettering that connects with the outer taillights
Old 06-14-2021, 01:12 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Received 2,697 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by magicspot
. . . they found some hidden screws for the center light that required the spoiler to be up for access. . . This was on a cayenne coupe . . .
Originally Posted by Brig993
That the CHMSL mounted at the top - I'm looking for instructions for the light bar with "porsche" lettering that connects with the outer taillights
I think you both may be referring to the same thing. The Coupe has a spoiler just above the center light bar.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:37 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schnave
I think you both may be referring to the same thing. The Coupe has a spoiler just above the center light bar.

yes we are. I should have specified that I have a standard cayenne not a coupe. On the standard cayenne the the spoiler is at the top of the tailgate with the CHMSL.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:38 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Brig993 - I’ve been researching your question for a while now. You’re right — there’s nothing out there for 9Y0. I did find several references for previous 958’s though.

Here’s what I’ve taken from my research. The “Rear Center Trunk Tail Light” is Porsche part number 9Y0945081J. Access will require removing the tailgate interior trim panel. (No luck with instructions for that, either). However I suggest you first remove the two screws inside the warning triangle stowage compartment (top photo) and then use a plastic trim removal kit to pry off the lower trim panel. The light bar is secured with eight Torx machine screws at locations shown on the attached photos for your reference. Note that the photos show the light bar resting upside down. Bottom two pics are closeups of each side.

The preceding isn’t much to go on but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Last edited by Schnave; 06-14-2021 at 01:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schnave:
Heegoogoo1 (06-14-2021), YeetItToTheLimit (12-25-2023)
Old 06-14-2021, 01:55 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Brig993 - I’ve been researching your question for a while now. You’re right — there’s nothing out there for 9Y0. I did find several references for previous 958’s though.

Here’s what I’ve taken from my research. The “Rear Center Trunk Tail Light” is Porsche part number 9Y0945081J. Access will require removing the tailgate interior trim panel. (No luck with instructions for that, either). However I suggest you first remove the two screws inside the emergency triangle compartment (top photo) and then use a plastic trim removal kit to pry off the lower trim panel. The light bar is secured with eight Torx machine screws at locations shown on the attached photos for your reference. Note that the photos show the light bar resting upside down. Bottom two pics are closeups of each side.

The preceding isn’t much to go on but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Yep couldn’t find anything either - this helps a lot actually. I should have just ordered the clear lights when I built the car.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:40 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brig993
. . . I should have just ordered the clear lights when I built the car.
No worries, you’re not alone. Buyers often go through the trouble of retrofitting tow packages or wishing they had roof rails.

Reminds me of what I tell my daughters: It’s a whole lot more trouble trying to change a guy rather than being patient and finding the right one in the first place. 👍🏼

If you decide to DIY the swap, take lots of pics and be sure to post. You’ll be blazing the trail for others to follow.

Last edited by Schnave; 06-14-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Brig993 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 10:46 AM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: I found a nice diagram of the tailgate trim panel. It shows the location and type of fasteners, which should help you with its removal. 👍🏼

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/en/catalo...UR&language=en

Palantir (06-07-2023)
Old 06-18-2021, 04:10 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

UPDATE: I found a nice diagram of the tailgate trim panel. It shows the location and type of fasteners, which should help you with its removal. 👍🏼

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/en/catalo...UR&language=en

Good find this should help! Will update once I attempt it. Hope this weekend.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:46 AM
LiKuid
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any luck removing the lights? My tinted rear lights arrive tomorrow and i am considering trying the swap myself if i can find some decent instructions
Old 05-06-2022, 07:21 AM
mjamesp13
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone successfully remove the center light?
Old 05-06-2022, 12:15 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 175 Posts

Center taillight removal for coupe: Start at 28m11s in case the link doesn’t go there directly

For regular cayenne, I’ve seen it on YouTube but can’t find the video…. will update it as soon as I find it. In the meantime, below video shows the taillight removal without any details. Starts at 7m17s

Last edited by Silververtu; 05-06-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:13 PM
mjamesp13
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you SO much!! This is just what I needed, although not an easy task..
inoginoino (07-18-2024)
Old 05-07-2022, 04:21 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Removing Side Taillights

Originally Posted by Silververtu
Center taillight removal for coupe: Start at 28m11s in case the link doesn’t go there directly
https://youtu.be/yBtbEeu_pHs?t=28m11s ...
This is a really helpful video in showing how to remove many different part of the car's trim. Great resource.

There is, though, one thing to note if you're interested in replacing your car's side taillights. At 35:05-36:07, the video shows how to remove all of the cargo area's interior trim pieces to enable removal of the left and right interior side panels. The video says removing all these trim pieces is necessary to gain access to a bolt attaching the forward part of the taillight to the car's body. But it's not. In each side panel is a rectangular plastic access panel/vent that easily pops off. Remove the access panel, and the taillight bolt is immediately accessible behind it. There's no need to remove the entire interior side panel, at least in the case of my Cayenne. Note that unlike the car in the video, my car is not a coupe. But the video shows the Coupe has the same pop-off vent/access panel in the same place. So accessing the taillight bolt in a Couple should be just as EZ as a non-coupe. I'll leave it to others with a coupe to confirm.

Quick Reply: Center taillight removal