Sponsored By:

Cost of oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:46 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Cost of oil change

5 years ago when I bought the Macan I paid the dealer for the first oil change. It was $330. The next 15-20 oil changes I did myself.

Bought a CPO cayenne and the first oil change was done at 6,000 miles. We just hit 16,000 and called the dealer for the oil change.

$378

Seriously. They did pick the car up. And wash it. DIY doesn't look hard but still need something to reset the computer. At these prices it may be worth getting the Autel for about $1200
Old 03-25-2021, 10:37 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 446 Posts

I bought a unlimited VIN Durametric years ago. I split the cost ($700) with a friend and has been great for maintenance, coding, etc... especially since we've bought and sold a few cars in the last decade.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:36 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts

Does that work for the new cayenne and panameras?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:51 PM
A4EP
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

That price is about right...I think it is even more frightening if you have a Turbo as the oil for that is $40/quart. With the S and Base we at least get to still use the $9/quart special Porsche oil.

Just wait until you take it in for the 20k mile "Inspection". I wanted the 2yr 20k mile service, with oil and brake flush and it was $1,200. Asked about just oil and brake flush and was told $600ish. Then I asked how lubing the door seals and cleaning the drains could cost $600....answer, "Porsche's are expensive cars."

I quickly found a very solid indy who has all of the Porsche training. This was the first time I have not done routine maintenance with a dealer in 20 years. I am okay paying 2-3x to keep a good relationship with a dealer but the dealers are really pricing themselves out of the market at 4-5x the cost of others. It does not matter how much money a car costs or how much a Porsche Owner supposedly has, no one who is educated is willing to just toss money away on this stuff. It is truly a shame and from what I have heard from some contacts at the dealer it is actually the Regional Reps who are pushing the dealers to up their rates.

Some people on here have mentioned that Porsche annual maintenance costs are now a bit higher than Ferrari, not so sure about this but it must be getting close.

Last edited by A4EP; 03-25-2021 at 02:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MitchFindlay (04-02-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 04:21 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I do my own in my garage, including VERY easy to do brake flushes as I have the right equipment for it. It's about $ 100 in parts and fluids. $ 40 a quart oil is not required, Mobil 1 will do fine. Plus its all done in the time it takes me to run a car to a shop, get a loaner/Uber and back again. Time and Money both saved.
The following users liked this post:
toma nova (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 08:11 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 161 Posts

Add to that, price varies by dealer. My dealer charges $570 for an oil change (I do have a diesel, so that also includes Adblue, and draining the fuel filter), but a dealer two hours away charges $293 for the exact same items. When I was commuting back and fourth to Chicago, I occasionally went to Ferrari of Lake Forest. A new one comes with a number of years of maintenance included. I asked about a used FF, and I was told to plan on up to $2,000 a year if it is a daily driver. Once Porsche has a large percentage of EV's, the income stream from service is going to drop drastically. Their business model will have to change. I have thought about a current version Cayenne (haven't ruled it out, and it would be an easier decision if they offered diesel), but I am seriously thinking that my next vehicle is an EV. No more going to the gas station, no more traditional services, etc.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:22 PM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I suggest you get a PIWIS and DIY over the weekends.
Cheaper and faster than going&waiting at the dealership for 2 hours only to come back with scratched wheels and paint.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:34 PM
David Mackintosh
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I am seriously thinking that my next vehicle is an EV. No more going to the gas station, no more traditional services, etc.
You're right, it's a huge advantage. I've got almost 30k miles on my e-Golf with zero maintenance, although I should think about flushing the brake fluid one of these years. Same with the Tesla MS we had, I put about 24k on that without thinking about it. Tires and brakes. The convenience of no fuel stops for your daily driver is also a big plus, IMO.
Old 04-03-2021, 04:22 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I just traded my Audi E-Tron with 9600 miles on it for a Cayenne GTS. I tried for 14 months to get one the E-Car bandwagon, but the weight and numbness of the cars, the 220 mile range in these first gen cars just didn't do it for me. I don't mind oil changes - the GTS is 10x more fun to drive that that Audi was. A car I won't miss is that E-Tron. I'm sure future generations will be much better.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:27 PM
David Mackintosh
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I just traded my Audi E-Tron with 9600 miles on it for a Cayenne GTS. I tried for 14 months to get one the E-Car bandwagon, but the weight and numbness of the cars, the 220 mile range in these first gen cars just didn't do it for me. I don't mind oil changes - the GTS is 10x more fun to drive that that Audi was. A car I won't miss is that E-Tron. I'm sure future generations will be much better.
I've driven almost every EV available in the US and you did pick the least fun one you could buy. It would compare well to a Chevy Tahoe, I suppose.

Quick Reply: Cost of oil change