Cayenne vs EQC OR Etron

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Cayenne vs EQC OR Etron

Hi guys
Being a potential future buyer I’m wondering if I should go for the base cayenne 9YA or the new EQC . Main reason to go with an EV such as EQC is it’s performance , p , value for money (also its costs the same as the base cayenne) and more importantly the build quality seems far superior to the base cayenne. I’m assuming that the total cost of owning an EV over a period of 8 - 10 years could be cheaper than owning the cayenne.
pease provide your thoughts (without saying it depends what I want). Has anyone considered the EQC or an etron over the base cayennes? (Almost the same price)
The following users liked this post:
chassis (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 01:00 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyphantom
Hi guys
Being a potential future buyer I’m wondering if I should go for the base cayenne 9YA or the new EQC . Main reason to go with an EV such as EQC is it’s performance , p , value for money (also its costs the same as the base cayenne) and more importantly the build quality seems far superior to the base cayenne. I’m assuming that the total cost of owning an EV over a period of 8 - 10 years could be cheaper than owning the cayenne.
pease provide your thoughts (without saying it depends what I want). Has anyone considered the EQC or an etron over the base cayennes? (Almost the same price)
@Greyphantom Do you mean the Mercedes EQC? Do you have experience owning a Mercedes in the past 10 years? M-B is arguably the lowest, or near lowest, reliability and defect ridden luxury brand. Have a read through the mbworld forums. The latest GLE launch is a large collection of errors. I would not purchase a first generation electric vehicle from Mercedes.

Mercedes is, sadly, not producing the vehicles many of us grew up with, for example the 1980s diesel S-Class. Times have indeed changed.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:54 PM
John__C
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

I am in the process of moving from a Tesla to a Cayenne. I love the EV for back and forth to work and driving around town, but it still doesn't work well for longer road trips. If I were buying a car that I knew I would only use locally, I might have stayed with EV. The BMW iNext coming next year has potential. But if you want to be able to get out on the open road, the infrastructure isn't quite yet to where it needs to be. When driving longer distances, you have to plan around stopping at superchargers and then finding a way to waste an hour while the car recharges. It's just not convenient. And that's the best case scenario. When travelling up into the mountains and away from major highways, there aren't super chargers. Even when traveling by highway, if you are in a Mercedes or anything other than a Tesla you'll find the current crop of available chargers tend to top around 50KW so charging takes much longer. Waiting four hours for your vehicle to have enough juice to get home just isn't fun, and I've been in that situation more than once.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:53 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 123 Posts

Hi guys
Is the EQC actually coming out now? They pushed back, and then pulled North American release late last year. If you want an EV, I would suggest the ETron or IPace, but honestly of you are looking for EV performance it is simply Tesla, or a Taycan right now. I have been happy with my Cayenne E Hybrid, can drive locally on electric and still have the ICE for longer trips.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:29 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Yes Mercedes EQC, test drove it last weekend and was quite impressed but never owned a Mercedes before and I appreciate your advice. I’m glad I asked this question.
I so love the cayenne but after reading all the issues it started putting me off. I had an X5 years back with so much issues so won’t go into that territory.
chassis (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 02:34 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXSchnee
Is the EQC actually coming out now? They pushed back, and then pulled North American release late last year. If you want an EV, I would suggest the ETron or IPace, but honestly of you are looking for EV performance it is simply Tesla, or a Taycan right now. I have been happy with my Cayenne E Hybrid, can drive locally on electric and still have the ICE for longer trips.
don’t like the look of etron (on dentures) or I-pace and find Tesla too boring and tacan out of my budget. So the cayenne ehybrid has a normal ICEengine as well right? And you’re happy with it so far?
yes the EQC is out here in Sydney and I tested it a week ago.

Last edited by Greyphantom; 11-19-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:41 AM
Greyphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by chassis
@Greyphantom Do you mean the Mercedes EQC? Do you have experience owning a Mercedes in the past 10 years? M-B is arguably the lowest, or near lowest, reliability and defect ridden luxury brand. Have a read through the mbworld forums. The latest GLE launch is a large collection of errors. I would not purchase a first generation electric vehicle from Mercedes.

Mercedes is, sadly, not producing the vehicles many of us grew up with, for example the 1980s diesel S-Class. Times have indeed changed.
Glad I asked as I dont have any experience owning an MB before, I love every bit of the new cayenne but was put off after reading some of the common issues being reported in this forum and the lack of support from Porsche.
In your experience how would you compare the Cayenne’s built quality against Merc?
chassis (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 856 Likes on 419 Posts

don’t like the look of etron (on dentures) or I-pace and find Tesla too boring and tacan out of my budget. So the cayenne ehybrid has a normal ICEengine as well right? And you’re happy with it so far?
The E-Hybrid is fantastic I've had mine since August. Build quality, handling and acceleration are terrific. It's fast and the electric motor takes care of all my local trips and also accelerates the car before the turbos seemlessly kick in. I've dealt with three salesman in my area at two dealerships and all three have or have ordered one.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:32 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Glad I asked as I dont have any experience owning an MB before, I love every bit of the new cayenne but was put off after reading some of the common issues being reported in this forum and the lack of support from Porsche.
In your experience how would you compare the Cayenne’s built quality against Merc?
I have an indirect comparison, having owned a prior model VW Touareg (same platform as prior model Cayenne) and a W166 Mercedes GLE. VW’s fit and finish is as good or better than Mercedes. This means overall build quality, absence of squeaks and rattles, absence of new car defects that should not have left the factory. Mercedes is exceptionally poor at this in recent years, regarding new car defects that should have been prevented or addressed at the factory.

Longer term reliability and durability is better with VW in my experience. No major problems with the VW, excluding the diesel emissions system which at its root is a Bosch issue and experienced equally between VW and Mercedes. VW in the diesel situation treated their customers fairly, through a government settlement, via buybacks, cash compensation, repairs and extension of certain warranty coverage. Mercedes has done none of that for their equally harmed Bluetec diesel owners, and it is worth noting a lawsuit has been or will soon be settled where Daimler will compensate owners. The rumored compensation is far less than what VW was required to pay.

In summary, Mercedes does not stand behind their product to the extent VW does. The diesel example is one of many. There are truly countless major, recent model vehicle system failures experienced at low mileage or just after warranty expiration. This is in addition to new model launch difficulties such as with the current model V/X167 GLE/GLS. Read the mbworld site for details.

Mercedes attracts customers with styling, features that other carmakers don’t offer, and interior trim “luxuriousness”. Too bad that these positive attributes are not supported with the other important aspects of vehicle ownership.

Mercedes seems like it is trying to do too much with its resources as evidenced by falling quality overall, new model proliferation and making major investments in electric powertrain technology.

I would not buy a first generation electric vehicle from Mercedes.

Last edited by chassis; 11-19-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:07 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes the E Hybrid uses the base 3.0l V6 engine with the hybrid system. Have been very pleased with mine, had it since the end of July. Averaging 42% of all driving on electric right now, gas mileage of 29mpg (US rating) for a 455hp SUV has been great, only gotten gas twice in the 3 1/2 months I have had it. I didn't realize you weren't in the US, sorry. I actually was thinking of looking at the EQC before I ordered my E Hybrid, but MBUSA pulled it from the North American market and it still has no release date. Not sure on your time frame, but the all electric Macan is supposed to be a 2022 model.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:42 PM
John__C
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

I also had a negative experience with Mercedes a few years ago. While the car itself was OK (not "wow" but not terrible either), the local dealership was less than entirely transparent and that poisoned my view of them and the brand.
chassis (11-19-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 02:26 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

I so love the cayenne but after reading all the issues it started putting me off. I had an X5 years back with so much issues so won’t go into that territory.
Owned a 2013 Cayenne S (new) and only had one problem: transfer case. PCNA covered 1/2 the cost even though it was out of warranty. Just got a '21 GTS last week and love it. Build quality is strong and perfect. Those first generation X5 were terrible.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs EQC OR Etron