Sponsored By:

2021 GTS - First Drive Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 01:44 AM
ScoofyNudooz
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 GTS - First Drive Experience

Intro - this is my first post, and I am soon to be an owner of a 2021 Cayenne Coupe GTS (Carrera White and fully loaded with all the options, except PCCB) which is due to arrive in mid December. This will be the first Porsche I have owned and the first brand new car I have ordered/bought. Also worth noting that I have never driven a Porsche of any model before. My current daily is a 2013 Mercedes Benz A250, and the best car I have ever test driven is a Lamborghini Urus.

Today I got to experience my first test drive of a 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS demonstrator (so not my actual ordered car). This particular vehicle was in black with black wheels and black leather interior (no PDCC or Rear Wheel Steering)

Outside Appearance - was it a real eye catcher, did it stand out and scream, that looks so amazing, I have to have it. IMO, no it did not. Two reasons, 1) this was the SUV and not the Coupe, 2) Black on black just can't do justice to all the curves, lines and features of the exterior (eg grill, bumper shrouds, badging, lights, etc). My wife was trying to twist my arm to get a black car when we ordered our GTS, but I am so glad I resisted, as it just doesn't pop like the car deserves to. The showroom had two other Cayennes, both in Quartzite Grey, and these looked a heck of a lot better than the black demo.

Sound - from the outside - does it grab your attention, give you that feeling in your stomach, and have that undeniable V8 grumble. You bet it does. The sports exhaust on the V8 is really nice. Deep enough to have presence, and not so loud to be brash and annoying. On the inside, the exhaust note comes through the cabin perfectly for me. In Sport +, you get all the theatre, including the burbles from the auto blipped downshifts. Porsche have really achieved an excellent balance of sound coming from that exhaust. In comfort mode and sedate driving, it is very subdued, yet you always know you are in control of a high performance V8 . But the thrill really comes in once you dial in Sport +. Find a nice piece of flowing bends, with lots of gear shifts up and down the rev range, and oh yes, that engine sings beautifully (especially in the upper rev range). Such a satisfying sound which is an integral part of the driving experience (Side Note - the key reason why I have no interest in ever going electric).

Gearbox - having watched/read many reviewers wish that the GTS had a PDK, rather than the ZF transmission, and comment that the ZF was very good, but just not as good as a PDK, I was really wanting to experience how quick the shifts would be. Having never driven a Porsche with a PDK, I have no direct comparison to make. My only expectation was the shift speed was fast and smooth and felt instantaneous from when you nudged those great feeling paddles. IMO I am really happy with the shift speed, both up and down. If anything, I thought the down shifts were better than I was expecting, so overall I am really impressed with the transmission.

Interior - quality, quality, quality. Beautiful range of different materials used (leather, piano black, aluminium, brushed black aluminium, alcantara etc). Everything you touch feels solid and expensive, including the lower half of the door panels, which is where many manufacturers cheap out on us. Screen resolution (main and dash) is excellent. I was however underwhelmed with the resolution of the Heads Up Display. It wasn't Jaguar F-Pace bad, but I was hoping for a sharper image with more colour graphics (think Lamborghini Urus). As this was a shortish hour and a half test drive, I did not bother to stop and explore the infotainment and all the various other settings that can be tweaked. One really noticeable feature of the interior was how quiet the cabin was when driving. My wife and I could have a conversation at low volume and hear each other with ease. Road noise was literally non-existent (NB this car had 21 inch wheels). The feat by Porsche of achieving such a quiet cabin, while still letting the exhaust note come through is really quite amazing. As this demo was the SUV version, it had the opening sunroof, and as some reviews had commented, there is a degree of wind noise that comes through, and I would agree with that opinion. Fortunately, the Coupe has the fixed sunroof, so this will not be an issue for us. I should also mention that the cabin was void of any creaks, squeaks or rattles. I know we should expect this from a new car, but this is not always true, as evidenced when I drove both the F-Pace SVR and the AMG GLC63s, which had audible creaks coming from the dash.

Final Thoughts - having seen both the SUV and Coupe side-by-side at the dealer, I am pleased to have chosen the Coupe rather than the SUV (subjective, I know). It is lower in height, and just has a more sportier presence. I love the fact the GTS can be the sedate Sunday cruiser or daily driver, but with the twist of a dial, it can give you all the thrills of an excellent handling, great sounding weapon on wheels. Am I pleased with my pending purchase. The answer has to be a definite yes. It is a very high quality well built vehicle with great handling, and I love the design aesthetics of the Coupe. However, when I drove the Lamborghini Urus, that entire test drive was filled with me saying Oh my god, Oh my god, this thing is amazing. Did I have that same feeling and buzz of excitement from driving the GTS. For me, the answer is no. Our test drive of the GTS just left me feeling, yeah, it is a really really nice car, I just wasn't absolutely fizzing with excitement like I was hoping to. Now I know the Urus is more expensive than the GTS (approx $150,000 NZD more) and has roughly 40% more power and torque, so this is not exactly a fair comparison. But my comment here is all about the 'excitement factor', and this is the only thing that the GTS failed to deliver for me. Anyway, I am going to have to get over that, and simply enjoy my Coupe (which is an excellent vehicle in every aspect) when it arrives in around 6 weeks time.
The following 3 users liked this post by ScoofyNudooz:
chassis (11-01-2020), T3X4S (10-31-2020), TempeAndy (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:52 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,038 Likes on 556 Posts

Does you demo have the upgraded glass?

Have you driven a cayenne with RAS? Just wonder if you have experience and can comment on RAS.

Just curious since I am looking at a GTS also.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:43 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 716 Likes on 498 Posts

I had a 30 minute test drive in a lightly equipped GTS (non coupe) and found it to be an exceptionally good handling suv. I like the lower ride height if for nothing other than you don’t have to climb up into it. My tester had summer performance tires on 21” wheels. Overall the ride was good, but I found it a bit stiffer than I’d like. The dealer attributes the stiffness to the tires and the air temps at around 30F. In reality the tires should already be swapped for all season or snow tires at this time of year with the low temps. I also noticed some tram lining on roads with tire path wear. Again the dealer says the tires are playing a part here.

Sitting in the vehicle on the dealer’s lot (located close to a busy street), I was a bit surprised by how much traffic noise makes it into the cabin. This was confirmed during a road test when I heard more road noise than I expected. I wonder whether there is a noticeable difference with the privacy and noise insulating glass spec’d? If the privacy glass isn’t too dark I think I’d specify that option. The dealer says that I would probably notice a difference with the sound insulating glass but he isn’t sure that someone walking off the street would appreciate the option with nothing to compare it to.

Even without PDCC and RWS the steering and handling of the GTS is impressive. The standard air suspension provide plenty of range and I think deleting the summer tires in favour of all season tires would hit the sweet spot for those focused on ride quality like I am. Others might not notice or care.

The engine is very responsive but still suffers from a bit of lag when starting out from a stop, less so than the engine in the S model (which isn’t bad) and much less so than in the base Cayenne (which in my view is a bit ridiculous). As noted by the OP, the transmission shifts well. I found it quick and precise when accelerating and it downshifts easily and to the correct gear when slowing for a corner and then accelerating out of a turn. In sport mode I did feel the downshifts in slowing traffic are not as smooth and imperceptible as in say a BMW X5, but the effect was less so in normal mode. I think this topic has been covered in another Cayenne thread. Suffice it to say that if this type of downshifting bothers you, pay attention to it on your test drive. Overall, I wish this vehicle was fitted with a PDK, a brilliant transmission, if even only for the GTS models. I could live with a lower towing capacity in exchange. I’m not saying the fitted transmission is bad though. In the Macan GTS, the PDK is just more fun.

The V8 in the GTS is such a great engine and has such a nice sound and with the specially tuned PSE, I think Porsche has it just right. While it is a performance variant of Cayenne, Porsche hasn’t forgotten that customers also want luxury and serenity. The PSE in the off position keeps the exhaust quiet with no rumbling or droning under normal driving. Large throttle inputs will elicit sound from both under the hood and from the tailpipes but not objectionable so (even to my sensitive ears). With PSE enabled, the sound is quite a bit louder but not objectionably so. Steady cruising with PSE on is no louder than with it turned off (to my ears), until you step on the gas.

So, will I buy one? My two concerns are ride quality/steering pull and transmission behaviour. My dealer has a unit inbound with 21” all season tires. I plan to try that vehicle before making a final decision. I’m not a fan of steering pull and while the ride is acceptable, I wish it was 5 - 10% smoother on rougher roads. Maybe the all seasons will deliver that. I’d also like to study the downshifting behaviour a bit more. My fall back position would be a Cayenne S. I don’t really need the extra power of the GTS but I like the lower ride height and the sharper steering/handling. What had me looking at the GTS was the value proposition- once you add premium plus package, 21” wheels, air suspension and the beautiful design package to an S, you aren’t far from a GTS. If you add full leather, I think the GTS ends up costing less.

I don’t think you can lose with either the S or GTS.

Last edited by kayjh; 10-31-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:10 PM
ScoofyNudooz
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The demo I drove only had the Tinted Glass, and not the Tinted and Noise Insulating Glass. As I mentioned, I found the cabin interior notably quite, and therefore would not seen any real benefit on adding the Noise Insulating Glass. It might even be a bit of a risk, as it could dull the sound of the exhaust coming through the cabine.

RAS? Sorry, I don't know what that is. Did you mean RWS (Rear Wheel Steering). If so, the demo I drove did not have this.

Based on seasoned reviewers comments alone, I have opted for both RWS and PDCC, as they claim the driving dynamics are noticeable, and especially so when you are pushing it.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:37 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,038 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoofyNudooz
The demo I drove only had the Tinted Glass, and not the Tinted and Noise Insulating Glass. As I mentioned, I found the cabin interior notably quite, and therefore would not seen any real benefit on adding the Noise Insulating Glass. It might even be a bit of a risk, as it could dull the sound of the exhaust coming through the cabine.

RAS? Sorry, I don't know what that is. Did you mean RWS (Rear Wheel Steering). If so, the demo I drove did not have this.

Based on seasoned reviewers comments alone, I have opted for both RWS and PDCC, as they claim the driving dynamics are noticeable, and especially so when you are pushing it.
Yes, RWS.

I was thinking Rear Axle Steering. Confused by FAL.

Debating about whether to add RWS and PDCC also. I drove a base loaner and it handled reasonably well without it. Just worry about potential long term maintenance issue.

Good point about dulling the sound of exhaust.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:51 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

RWS is a great option. I had PDCC on my past CTT and it was good, but RWS is very noticeable at low speeds and high speeds. Makes the Cayenne feels like a smaller sports car IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
FSB (11-01-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:39 PM
kyulio
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Insulated glass option really matter to the dulling the sound of exhaust? I'm also concerned now.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:03 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by ScoofyNudooz

In North America, I believe you get the sound/tinited from the factory as one. I don't think there is an option to get tinted glass only.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:06 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyulio
Does the Insulated glass option really matter to the dulling the sound of exhaust? I'm also concerned now.
Do you mean, will the noise insulated glass make the PSE sound quieter in the cabin? Its hard to know. I've read that the GTS has removed sold insulation at the rear of the vehicle to let more sound in. I don't know if that is only for the coupe or only for the coupe with the light weight package or for all variants. Based on my test drive, I didn't notice that much exhaust sound unless I was really stepping on it. I heard more tire and traffic noise than I was expecting though so I'd be selecting the glass option even if it meant a bit quieter of an exhaust sound. I think the noise glass will take a bit of an edge off, but I doubt it turns the cabin into a vault.

Last edited by kayjh; 11-12-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:05 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I like the insulated / tinted glass in my 2020 Cayenne Turbo. Basically, it like getting an aftermarket tinting job, except it's done right. It keeps the interior cooler, and the windshield seems more tinted than the standard glass (easier on the eyes even with sunglasses). Definitely takes the noise down a few notches -- don't hear road noise, still hear the engine when accelerating. Other plusses are less noise to compete with the sound system, and it's more pleasant conversing with passengers. My SA recommended this option when I placed the order, and am very happy with it.

If you like a lot of noise, take a pass on this option.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:38 PM
ganongrey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a 2021 Cayenne GTS (non-coupe, no PDCC, no RWS and another with PDCC and RWS) for a test:

Infotainment: I ignored what Porsche has and just used the Apple Car Play, which is wireless and worked great. Welcome much improved over previous iterations.

Ride: Coming from a 2014 CTTS with PDCC the GTS just feels more locked onto the road. There is scant more body roll on hard cornering and a hint of dive on hard braking. Aside from that it handled lane change transitions without much jostling and I didn't have to wait a beat for it to settle and get on the power again like in my Cayenne Turbo S. My fun car is a 991 GT3 so I have no issues with a firm ride and dislike any bodyroll.

PDCC is controversial. But PDCC with rear wheel steering turn this into a completely different car. I abhor bodyroll, brake dive, launch squatting and PDCC nearly eliminates it without compromising the ride. Perhaps it's just more confidence, but PDCC eliminates that momentary settling from an abrupt lane change before you can get on the gas. With PDCC you switch lanes, save a tick no waiting for the car to settle and get on with passing or whatever you were doing. The $5k or so spent on PDCC/RWS are worth it and must haves in my opinion. In back to back drives a Cayenne S with lightweight sport package, PDCC and RWS felt significantly tighter than even a GTS without those options, albeit slower.

Power: Power delivery is very linear. Possibly a whiff of lag but honestly that may have been the transmission. No problem getting off the line, no problem passing at highway speeds. But it lacks that shove into your seat the turbos have. You plan passes and preserve momentum for passing more than just letting 550 lb-ft of torque just pull you. More engaging.

0-60 times no longer count for much with Launch control. A better indicator are 5mph rolling starts and 30-50 and 50-70 times. From a roll, the car picks up speed well but is never overwhelming or honestly exciting, it's serviceable. 30-50 and 50-70, again a tick slower than in a Turbo S but easier to manage with a speedier transmission.

Transmission: Just ok. Normal ZF 8-speed. Not sure if shifts were any quicker in Sport+ than Comfort. Upshifts could be a little laggy especially on launch in 1st gear. Downshifts seemed faster, had no problems dropping down to engine brake in corners. Running through the gears the transmission is much quicker than my 2014 and even the last 2016 CTTS I drove. Overall not sure why it doesn't have PDK. The transmission is serviceable but slows the car's reflexes down. BMW's X3M's ZF transmission for example shifts quicker when requested, without delay and doesn't leave you wanting for PDK.

Noise: No lightweight package but the standard sport exhaust was great. Much more engaging and emotional than the standard exhaust on Cayenne. More engine sound than contrived crackling and pops (err AMG, Jaguar). Fuller sound with more low-frequency than sport exhaust on an 'S'.

I'm torn, a low spec model 10-12k over a Cayenne S is a great deal for the V8, sport exhaust, perceived exclusivity. But performance increase isn't much. It's more visceral and louder and the steering rack is quicker. However it's just too big for its mission. Sort of S-class to E-class. I'm left feeling Porsche needs a medium-sized crossover that slots between the Cayenne and Macan.

Last edited by ganongrey; 11-14-2020 at 11:23 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-15-2020, 10:46 AM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

We drove one too yesterday as my friend was debating between what I have which is gle 43 amg Coupe ,new one is 53 amg and a cayenne gts. Mine has the pdcc equivalent . The GTS to our surprise was awesome everywhere in. Terms of space, inside tech , interior. The GTS drove great , had awesome Sound , amg like kickback sound in sport plus And sport response was fun . The gts did not have pdcc and rear axle and we could feel GTS needs pdcc in bends

IMO a good looking suv in gts form , comfy and sporty when you need it

we also noticed that yesterday being a sunny day the sun visor when moved to the driver side does not have visor extension as many SUVs have which was surprising for an suv and is very useful while driving And sun hitting on drivers left side from an angle . Is that an additional option or they don’t offfer on cayenne ?

Old 11-15-2020, 11:08 AM
pbon
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 112 Posts

I drove a 21 GTS SUV last week planning to buy it based on everything I had read, but did not buy it. Black on black was too black for my wife. With silver wheels it would have looked less like a gangster car, but this one had the standard black 21s. It had PDCC and but not RWS. My wife thought the standard sport exhaust was too loud, though it was fine to me. I liked the handling and found it to be pretty smooth riding. The power was not as stunning as I expected, though. It also felt heavier and bigger than the S, though I know it weighs only about 200 lbs more and is no bigger.

We drove a base twice and my wife liked it but I found the power merely adequate and without any excitement. If power is not your thing, the base is a great car. We drove a couple of S and liked them. Easy enough for my wife, and a little excitement for me if I put my foot down and tighten up the PASM and Sport Chrono. 20” wheels. Honestly, I did not feel a dramatic power difference between the S and GTS. The S actually felt a little lighter on its feet and sportier in some respects. I think it was a good compromise for us.

For me, the ideal Cayenne would probably be the Turbo (or Turbo S or Turbo hybrid), though I did not drive one and am just speculating based on my GTS drive. Maybe do insulated glass, standard exhaust, pdcc, rws, standard brakes and keep the wheels at 21. But we don’t need 2 SUV and the car is really for my wife so I won’t be driving it much.
Old 11-15-2020, 04:28 PM
SF_
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

I haven't driven the GTS, but I do think the S engine is a nice fit for the Cayenne.

Here are a couple videos by the same reviewers looking at the S and GTS - GTS isn't a no brainer for them.

Old 11-15-2020, 11:36 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by SF_
I haven't driven the GTS, but I do think the S engine is a nice fit for the Cayenne.

Here are a couple videos by the same reviewers looking at the S and GTS - GTS isn't a no brainer for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGr3Pk6K_l4&t=560s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYflh0Dm3nc
I think what it comes down to is how much you are putting on an S. Once you add sport exhaust, air suspension, full leather, 21” wheels and the sport design package, you are only $7,000CAD from a GTS. Now if you don’t like the firmer ride or louder exhaust then maybe the S is the better choice. I didn’t have an S to compare the GTS back to back but the GTS I drove handles better than any suv has a right too. As noted above the steering is very quick too. I’m torn between the two.
The following users liked this post:
ougrad1 (11-15-2020)

Quick Reply: 2021 GTS - First Drive Experience