Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thermally and noise insulated glass...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2020 | 12:11 PM
kaspar166

Default Thermally and noise insulated glass...

Hello, I am in process of finalizing a new 21' cayenne build and have read mixed reviews on the glass option from reviewing past posts. Has the glass changed over the course of the last few years since many have noted issues?
Any recent experience regarding 1) cell phone coverage 2) radar detectors and 3) EZ Pass using the "window" to the left and right of the rear view mirror?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-19-2020 | 01:11 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

I have it in my '20 Turbo. I can speak to cell reception and it's fine. It is also effective at keeping the interior cool.
Old 10-19-2020 | 02:24 PM
kaspar166

Thanks for your response. Do you generally have a good signal in the areas that you are driving? I live in an area that has 1-2 bars in certain areas.
Old 10-19-2020 | 02:47 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kaspar166
I live in an area that has 1-2 bars in certain areas.
If you order the Smartphone compartment with wireless charging, your phone will connect to the car's antenna. My build has both the Thermal glass and wireless charging.
Old 02-17-2021 | 04:19 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

I just took a drive out to the country and had the opportunity to test both the EZ Pass and the smartphone compartment in an area with poor cellular signal.

1. The EZ Pass did not work through the windshield. Another thread describes a fix by mounting the transponder on the rear non-movable roof glass. I’ll try that next time.

2. The smartphone compartment connection to vehicle’s external antenna really amplifies the signal! While stationary, I saw an increased signal from one bar to three bars. Additionally, I ran a speed test and saw significant increase in both up and download speeds. (See attached photo).

3. One issue for me - the insulated glass on the windows (not windshield) is much darker than the non-insulated glass - similar to a really dark aftermarket window tint. Not a problem during the day but an issue at night. Although their brightness is reduced, I can still see headlights of oncoming side traffic at intersections; so it’s not a major safety issue. If an object is not well lit at night I cannot see it through the side windows. I have to roll down the windows to see home addresses, storefronts, etc. at night.

4. Given the EZ Pass issue and the reduced night visibility, I would not select this option if ordering a new one. I encourage buyers to compare the two prior to deciding.

Last edited by Schnave; 02-17-2021 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Clarification and spelling error
The following 3 users liked this post by Schnave:
George from MD (09-10-2021), TempeAndy (02-19-2021), zoomster1776 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-17-2021 | 09:07 PM
Ray831
Racer

Funny, I have the thermal and tinted glass and do not have any problem with the transponder mounted where Porsche says to mount it. Works fine. Also, never had a problem seeing through the tint. The passenger side windows are only slightly tinted from non tinted to comply with all the various state laws. Not much different from any other front driver and passenger window. If you have to lower your window in the Cayenne I suspect that you would have to do this in any car. I also tinted (aftermarket) the front side windows because I like the look. Not as dark as the rear Windows but darker than standard. I would get the thermal darker windows again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-17-2021 | 09:28 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Ray, you’ve got me thinking. These windows are seriously dark. You can’t see inside the vehicle without cupping your hands to the glass. Maybe these windows were aftermarket tinted by the previous owner. Or maybe I need my eyes checked. Regardless, I have a state vehicle safety inspection scheduled for tomorrow. I’ll have them check the windows to see what they think.

For comparison, see picture. In my wife’s car (white) without thermal glass you can clearly see the seats through the driver’s window. I have no issues seeing through them at night, nor with any other car I’ve ever driven. My gray car’s thermal window completely obscures the view through the window.

Last edited by Schnave; 02-17-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2021 | 10:47 PM
Ray831
Racer

It absolutely had to be an after market tint. The white SUV is exactly what my 2020 looked like before tinting. Before I tinted I looked up the tint laws in most states. Very few allow any tinting on the front window and have strict guidelines on windows from the factory. Therefore, car manufacturers simply do not tint the front windows any more than allowed by the LCD. In the end, I tinted mine much like the grey Cayenne shown in your picture. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2021 | 10:54 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ray. Your posts are very helpful. I’ll update after the car is inspected tomorrow. If my car has an aftermarket tint as I now suspect thanks to you, I’ll have it removed.
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:16 PM
Schnave
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: I had my Cayenne inspected for a state safety sticker this morning. The guy said that I definitely had a window tint and it was way too dark to be legal in Virginia. Maximum allowable is 50% visible light transmittance. My window only allowed 5% of the light through. No wonder I couldn’t see at night!

I went to a window tint shop and they were nice enough to immediately remove the tint on both front windows for just $30 - all in just an hour.

Wow, what a difference! I take back all those things I said about the thermal glass being too dark.

Shout out to Ray for his advice in previous posts. Thanks Ray!

Old 02-18-2021 | 09:38 PM
pbon
Racer

[QUOTE=Schnave;]In my wife’s car (white) without thermal glass you can clearly see the seats through the driver’s window. I have no issues seeing through them at night, nor with any other car I’ve ever driven. My gray car’s thermal window completely obscures the view through the window.[QUOTE]

I like the his and hers Cayennes.
The following users liked this post:
Schnave (02-19-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 10:35 PM
Ray831
Racer

Thanks Schanve for the kind words. I live in California and we also are not supposed to tint the front windows. However, I have them tinted anyway with about 50% to help blend the rear windows with the front a little better. All the cops really want is to be able to see you through the window when getting pulled over. Enjoy your Cayenne, its a great car no matter how you have it configured. Porsche does a great job of blending comfort with performance in their SUV, IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
Miggytosh (02-19-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 11:58 PM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Ray, what tint did you use?I'm gonna do my front side windows but I haven't looked into which brand to use. I used Huper Optik on the car I just sold, that stuff was great but I'm not positve the colors will match.
Old 02-19-2021 | 11:08 AM
Ray831
Racer

I don't remember the brand but I got the ceramic tint. You probably want to use the brand that the window tint installer is familiar with. I've been having my windows tinted for 30 years and have seen brands come and go, I don't think that it makes much difference just get the ceramic version. FWIW in those 30 years I have never been cited for window tint. One thing to be cautious about if you have the full leather interior. The leather that manufacturers use, including Porsche, is damaged somewhat easily by water and window tint installers use a lot of it for installation. Make sure that your installer has experience with leather door panels and make sure that he drapes plastic over the interior of the door and tapes it down to make sure they don't damage the leather. My installer does this as routine. Don't take no for an answer go somewhere else.
Old 02-20-2021 | 12:33 AM
icemang
Rennlist Member

Good heads up, thanks.

Quick Reply: Thermally and noise insulated glass...