Porsche InnoDrive

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 05:23 AM
defacto22
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche InnoDrive

Hi all,

It's been a few months since we took delivery of our Cayenne E-Hybrid, what an amazing car has it been so far!
One thing I've been wondering though, and haven't dared to try yet, is: relying on Porsche InnoDrive, with all its assistent systems (lane keep, lange change etc) when navigating towards an address. What I wonder, is the following: If I set an address, activate PID, will the car take roundabouts automatically too? I know it corners, and changes lanes when flipping the indicator, but could I rely on it taking roundabouts? Of course, hands on the wheel, but I wonder what PID is actually capable of currently.
I live in the EU, so might be different to US law (and therefore possibilities). Anyone that can enlighten me on this part?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-2020, 01:32 PM
nut855
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Innodrive on my Cayenne. It’s a version of adaptive cruise control that will slow down automatically around some corners. A few notes:

It’s not hands free self-driving
My Cayenne hugs the lane markings so closely that I can’t reliably use it without actively steering.
I would never risk using it on a roundabout.
If traffic is stopped ahead of you and you are approaching quickly, you need to manually brake or else the car will wait until the last minute and slam on the breaks.

I’m sure that others will note other experiences and opinions, but that’s my experience with my MY 2020.

Bottom line, it’s a nice convenience for long distance highway travel, but you have to actively steer and be prepared to hit the breaks at a moments notice.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:38 PM
Miggytosh
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 69 Posts

+1 on being ready to hit the brakes. I almost rear ended a car because I assumed it was as good as my previous Audi (dumb assumption). After that, I increased the default follow distance from 2 to 3 car lengths and in any kind of traffic I pay close attention. Crazy that my 2017 Audi had a 5x better system.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:15 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree that innodrive is not what I expected by a long shot. I would not purchase it again. The ACC works great though.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:54 AM
David Mackintosh
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a 2019 e-Hybrid with Innodrive and I’ve also put 17k miles on a 2019 Tesla Model S with Full Self Driving (FSD) option. The FSD is much more capable, but also much less smooth. I really enjoyed the FSD when driving solo in light traffic, allowing it to steer the car at up to 90mph. It tended to make my SO passenger carsick, though, and FSD doesn’t yet do intersections, roundabouts, etc. Nor will it ever work in some weather conditions. I find the Innodrive to need a lot more intervention, but it is helpful (sort of). Also, Tesla’s regular updates significantly improved the car over time, while I don’t expect the same from Porsche. The Porsche is much better built, though, and the ACC is really excellent, very smooth and useful in stop-and-go driving or at high speeds.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:28 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

IMHO inno drive is not worth the money. It is actually dangerous and should be considered a safety hazard when used with speed limit recognition. Many times inno drive slowed me to a perceived and incorrect speed on open freeway which caused cars behind me to slam on their brakes or make unsafe lane changes to avoid hitting me. I have since turned off the speed limit recognition feature to avoid being a hazard on the highway. Shame on Porsche for selling this feature on its cars. It is poorly implemented. ACC works fine and that is essentially what you get with PID with speed recognition turned off. Curve speed control on inno drive is also poorly implemented and the driver should be advised not to rely in it at all, sometimes it works but most of the time is also creates hazards. Anyway, I would not but this option again. Word to the wise, don’t buy it and if you have it don’t use it!
The following users liked this post:
David Mackintosh (10-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Porsche InnoDrive