Sponsored By:

What about the wife's key?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 11:30 PM
twilightround
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What about the wife's key?

I'm finding out about my new 2019 Cayenne S. I'm trying to read the manual, but it is a slow read for an old guy and not always clear. I know that the car will memorize different settings for different drivers, at least for seats, mirrors, and probably some other things. I thought that it should be possible to assign one key to me and the other to my wife, and have the car recognize who the driver is by the key being used and adjust the settings accordingly. But at least one dealer has told me "No, that can't be done by the key. The car will recognize only one driver as the primary - and will say 'Hello' to him - and the second driver must immediately use the scroll button on the right of the steering wheel to change the driver and the settings that go with that driver." This seems odd to me, given how simple it would be to have the each key assigned to a driver and to have the car recognize whose key is being used and adjust the settings accordingly. I don't find the manual much use in this regard. I have watched the absurd little video (without voice or text!) concerning settings, and it seems to suggest just the opposite - that the key for "John" will produce one group of settings and the key for "Jean" will produce another. But my keys don't seems to do that. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this can be done with the keys and if so how? Also, I wonder what other settings can be memorized for each driver - can the stop/start on/off be memorized for each driver? can the sport setting be memorized for each driver? Is there someone who has mastered these mysteries?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-05-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:28 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by twilightround
I'm finding out about my new 2019 Cayenne S. I'm trying to read the manual, but it is a slow read for an old guy and not always clear. I know that the car will memorize different settings for different drivers, at least for seats, mirrors, and probably some other things. I thought that it should be possible to assign one key to me and the other to my wife, and have the car recognize who the driver is by the key being used and adjust the settings accordingly. But at least one dealer has told me "No, that can't be done by the key. The car will recognize only one driver as the primary - and will say 'Hello' to him - and the second driver must immediately use the scroll button on the right of the steering wheel to change the driver and the settings that go with that driver." This seems odd to me, given how simple it would be to have the each key assigned to a driver and to have the car recognize whose key is being used and adjust the settings accordingly. I don't find the manual much use in this regard. I have watched the absurd little video (without voice or text!) concerning settings, and it seems to suggest just the opposite - that the key for "John" will produce one group of settings and the key for "Jean" will produce another. But my keys don't seems to do that. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this can be done with the keys and if so how? Also, I wonder what other settings can be memorized for each driver - can the stop/start on/off be memorized for each driver? can the sport setting be memorized for each driver? Is there someone who has mastered these mysteries?
If you want that you need to by a tech savvy car like perhaps a Honda or Kia.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:07 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by twilightround
BMW has the feature you describe. Each fob is assigned to a different person and the seat position automatically adjusts when the respective fob is detected.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:46 AM
Fantazz
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updating my post... if you have the Driver Memory Package, you can have different profile/settings saved in each key. See the owner's manual under Personal Settings. "...If two or more people use the vehicle, it is advantageous to use one driver profile and vehicle key per person."

One thing to note though as OP asked, the Auto Start/Stop is not memorized. It defaults to ON everytime you start the vehicle. There was a big thread about this in this forum.

Last edited by Fantazz; 07-05-2020 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:07 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

It is too bad Porsche did not think through many of the electronics.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:40 PM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
It is too bad Porsche did not think through many of the electronics.
I'm sure they thought through it and expended maximum effort to get it as correct as possible but like almost any massive software project it takes multiple versions to find and correct everything. I read one article in Digital Trends that in one generation the Panamera went from 2 million lines of code to 100 million in the 2017 version. I'd bet the new Cayenne has even more. Borderline impossible to get all that right at the time of initial sale unless you sit on the cars for many years perfecting everything before releasing them (and that ain't gonna happen).
Old 07-08-2020, 10:56 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

That dealer is full of it. Our car has comfort access. Here's what we did. Say you are driver #1. Set things the way you want, and press the "set" button and "1", then press the "set" button and the "key" icon button on the driver's door. Hold both buttons until you hear the confirmation beep. Those settings are used when that key opens the door.

With the second key on her person, have your spouse choose her settings then program as above, but using the "2" button. When she opens the car with that key her settings should be applied.

My wife always carries her key when I'm driving. If she happens to get to the car first and opens it, it defaults to her settings. I just get in, press and hold the 1 button to get my settings.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:11 PM
twilightround
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Flyfisher - My car does not have a key button on the driver's door. It has the 1,2,3, positions, and "set" button, and lock and unlock buttons. I don't see any ke button, though it does have comfort access. It has memorized my settings and goes to those as soon as I turn on the ignition, but does not seem to change settings for the other key. I will consult with the dealer next time I see him.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Button 3 is the same as the key button. I hope you can get it to work. We've had four Cayennes and it worked on all of them from 2013 to 2020.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:38 PM
jdmasd
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfisher
That dealer is full of it. Our car has comfort access. Here's what we did. Say you are driver #1. Set things the way you want, and press the "set" button and "1", then press the "set" button and the "key" icon button on the driver's door. Hold both buttons until you hear the confirmation beep. Those settings are used when that key opens the door.

With the second key on her person, have your spouse choose her settings then program as above, but using the "2" button. When she opens the car with that key her settings should be applied.

My wife always carries her key when I'm driving. If she happens to get to the car first and opens it, it defaults to her settings. I just get in, press and hold the 1 button to get my settings.
Agree, we have a base Cayenne and the dealer set it all up for my wife. We each have our own keys and when I unlock it automatically changes over to my setting and also says 'hello' on the main screen.

Quick Reply: What about the wife's key?