Cayenne base vs E-hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 02:00 AM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Cayenne base vs E-hybrid

How different is the car in real life?

E hybrid has more power (462PS) but is around 300kg heavier than the base model (340PS) so I think the fuel economy advantage may not be as apparent.

If I option them both out to my taste there is about $10K difference (E-hybrid costing more) with slightly less appealing wheels (20 inch on E-hybrid vs 21 inch on base).

What do you guys say?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:29 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

I went with the base. Most of my driving is not around town. IMO the next gen; if iteratively improved, will be the one I get. If I made lots of <20mile trips it would be a no brainer but I'd probably still take my 987
Old 01-07-2020, 10:51 AM
jsclarke
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Seems to me, performance-wise, the e-hybrid compares to the S not the base. And except for the weight, it seems like a better bargain (especially if you get the US tax credit).
In my first 4000 miles, half have been all electric. I'm going 1000 miles between fill ups. No engine start/stop. Traffic jams are better because the engine isn't going off and on- you're on electric. Remote cooling and heating- you can enter a cool car in Summer. Total silent running. And you're killing the planet *less fast* than you would without an electric motor. Here's a pros / cons google found for me- that seems about right. https://www.motor1.com/reviews/37836...rid-pros-cons/
The following users liked this post:
poolie (12-01-2022)
Old 01-07-2020, 12:44 PM
TXSchnee
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I am going with the E Hybrid, but compared it to the S and the BMW X5 M50i, not the base Cayenne. If you are concerned about price, and wanting specific options and the extra cost of the E Hybrid makes it too expensive, then go with the one you can comfortably afford with everything you want, because compromise never makes anyone happy. Performance wise, the E Hybrid will be much quicker than the base, but you will feel the added weight (which is why I am adding Air and PDCC). Your best bet is to drive both of them back to back, and decide what you would rather spend the money on. (Side note, my average drives are between 10-20 miles 95% of the time, so the E Hybrid is the better choice environmentally as well)

Last edited by TXSchnee; 01-07-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
poolie (12-01-2022)
Old 01-07-2020, 05:03 PM
jedelaney
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I considered both the ICE Cayenne and the e- hybrid Cayenne and after doing considerable research decided on a discounted loaded Base Cayenne vs a non discounted e-hybrid. The cost difference for almost the same options amounted to a savings of over $24K sticker difference combined with a dealer discount they would not offer on the hybrid.
In doing my research I was concerned about the potential (real or possible) of a higher rate of depreciation with the hybrid because of the rapidly changing technology that can affect hybrid reseal values. The current technology will become outdated and may affect resale. Also, there is no tax incentive for hybrid cars at resale like there maybe when new.