Clear side markers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 05:49 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Canuck (and others), the process to finish these is insanely expensive, more than 20 stages of finish, and takes about 14 days in our downdraft to cure/cool and move to next stage. Price includes new OEM parts (this is not a core exchange). We've been painting plastic and rubber for nearly 23 years. We know what works, what doesn't. And if you want factory chemistry, done right, it's not a cheap process. But yes, there are many other options including rattle cans and tint film, etc.

Here's a shot of a Panamera we recently completed sidemarkers in Jet Black Metallic, with over 30 layers of finish. Light is in the 'on' position in this image:

And the other posts are correct - there is not yet a Clear option produced or offered through Porsche.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Last edited by Eric - Plug Guy; 03-07-2022 at 05:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (03-08-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 05:57 PM
pardo
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Canuck (and others), the process to finish these is insanely expensive, more than 20 stages of finish, and takes about 14 days in our downdraft to cure/cool and move to next stage. Price includes new OEM parts (this is not a core exchange). We've been painting plastic and rubber for nearly 23 years. We know what works, what doesn't. And if you want factory chemistry, done right, it's not a cheap process. But yes, there are many other options including rattle cans and tint film, etc.

Here's a shot of a Panamera we recently completed sidemarkers in Jet Black Metallic, with over 30 layers of finish. Light is in the 'on' position in this image:

And the other posts are correct - there is not yet a Clear option produced or offered through Porsche.
The garage door reflections in the paint really broke my brain. I had a hard time telling what I was looking at, until I finally just clicked for me.

What's the process for installing these, and generally speaking since it's painted I'd guess you'd want to film and ceramic it with the rest of the front?
Old 03-09-2022, 11:54 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I have Bumper Plug parts (color matched side air intakes, bumper plugs, and various interior parts) on my 2009 Boxster and I can attest to the quality of their finish work. All of their work is factory perfect (perhaps better) and in the 6 years I've owned the car, they look as good today as they did when I installed them. IMHO, $345 is a very small price to pay on a $100k vehicle.
Silververtu (04-30-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 05:06 PM
pardo
Rennlist Member

I was looking at painted sidemarkers you offered on your site, and noticed that for 9Y0s you list "Moonlight Blue Pearl", but the color description for the current Cayenne models is "Midnight Blue Metallic." Are these the same color/finish? They both appear to be listed as C5M, but wanted to clarify. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2022, 03:11 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by pardo
I was looking at painted sidemarkers you offered on your site, and noticed that for 9Y0s you list "Moonlight Blue Pearl", but the color description for the current Cayenne models is "Midnight Blue Metallic." Are these the same color/finish? They both appear to be listed as C5M, but wanted to clarify. Thanks!
True - color code is the best way to know. And we always VIN-verify at time of order, to avoid any issues with mis-named colors (thank the Porsche marketing team).
XLR82XS (04-12-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 01:16 AM
spree0105
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True - color code is the best way to know. And we always VIN-verify at time of order, to avoid any issues with mis-named colors (thank the Porsche marketing team).
Do the rear reflectors on the site fit the 9Y0 ? There is only 1 to pick from unless I am missing it elsewhere.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:46 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by spree0105
Do the rear reflectors on the site fit the 9Y0 ? There is only 1 to pick from unless I am missing it elsewhere.
Rear red reflectors in 9Y0 have rear fog lighting integrated into them. I asked Eric about painted rears when ordering some stuff and he advised against it.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:20 PM
NelsonLee
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

(Make it happen)
Old 04-15-2022, 01:44 AM
spree0105
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Rear red reflectors in 9Y0 have rear fog lighting integrated into them. I asked Eric about painted rears when ordering some stuff and he advised against it.
damn ! so basically aside from tinting only option is painted sides ?? well the wife will be happy to hear that
Old 04-15-2022, 09:06 PM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Bummer. I had replaced mine in the past and was assuming I could do it again.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:24 PM
pardo
Rennlist Member

Has anyone removed the side markers on a current gen cayenne?

The fishing line pop-out I’ve seen for previous gen does not seem to be doing the trick. Don’t want to force it but if somebody has first hand experience then I’ll give it some more Hulk.

2022 Cayenne Turbo.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:45 AM
Amaru
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bumping this thread because I want to remind all North American Cayenne owners with OEM amber corner lenses to immediately fix them. It makes such a huge difference to the look of the car, especially darker colours like mine... as was true with all of my previous vehicles.

I am ashamed it took me almost 2 years to finally get around to ordering painted lenses (from BumperPlugs.com, very happy with my order). I had my Porsche dealer do the install (2 hours labour) and the painted lenses are not cheap to begin with, so this was a CDN $950 "mod", but I really think it was worth every penny. (Vinyl wrap would be much cheaper but I wanted a colour matched lens rather than black.)

Please, friends, don't let an amber lens ruin your Cayenne's lovely face.

Now I think I have to black out the roof rails.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Amaru:
mdrobc1213 (02-25-2024), XLR82XS (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 11:32 AM
supershaft
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 151 Posts

holy crap $1k for 2 of those installed? damn.. i'm not trying to be cheap but that's still nearly 1k

edit: I'd still prefer clear side markers over painted. Can bumperplugs do that or no?

Last edited by supershaft; 06-21-2022 at 11:38 AM.
NelsonLee (04-04-2023)
Old 06-21-2022, 11:52 AM
mjamesp13
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the rears tinted
Old 06-21-2022, 06:18 PM
Amaru
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by supershaft
holy crap $1k for 2 of those installed? damn.. i'm not trying to be cheap but that's still nearly 1k

edit: I'd still prefer clear side markers over painted. Can bumperplugs do that or no?
About $700 USD yeah. $400ish for the painted lenses, and $300 for Porsche dealer to install (2 hours labour). You could do the install yourself (I'm told it's not that hard but I would almost certainly break something or scratch the paint) and cut the price basically in half.

Clear side markers are not an option for the E3 Cayenne AFAIK, the OEM lenses have LED's build-in to them and unplugging throws a dash light.

Originally Posted by mjamesp13
I had the rears tinted
Awesome. Excellent call, I would do the same if I had a light coloured Cayenne.
mdrobc1213 (02-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Clear side markers?