Cayenne e-Hybrid Charging techniques questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 AM
agaladari
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayenne e-Hybrid Charging techniques questions

I have some questions regarding charging process of e-Hybrid models:
My Cayenne e-Hybrid came with 3.6KWh on-board charger and I noticed the following when charging:
1) Standard Charger unit that comes with the car (3.6Kwh, 16 Amp, 230 Volts) at home it takes around 7 hours to charge from 0-100%
2) When charging at external charge stations like shopping malls, I get a charge time of 4 hours to fully charge from 0-100%
3) Using E-Charge mode while driving, it takes around 1 hour to fully charge from 0-100%
4) I measured the output of the "Porsche Standard charger" that comes with the car and it was showing that its charging at the
rate of 10 Amp although the sticker/specs on the back of the charger says 16 Amp.

So, if I get an after market Charger 16 Amp charger (assuming it will be actually 16 Amp output) will this allow me to charge at a faster rate?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:00 PM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

All depends on the electricity capability going to the charge station. Example: If I have a 15 amp breaker, and wire that can handle 15 amps... It can only handle 15 amps before tripping. If you want faster charging, have an electrician install a 40 amp line. You'll find the chargers will say it handles 30 amps, you want a circuit that handles 40 amps (50 would be overkill).

I have just a 15 amp line to mine charging my '16 SEH, the charger is prob. pulling 10 amps. I plug it in at night and don't think about it.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:37 PM
agaladari
Track Day

Originally Posted by agaladari
I have some questions regarding charging process of e-Hybrid models:
My Cayenne e-Hybrid came with 3.6KWh on-board charger and I noticed the following when charging:
1) Standard Charger unit that comes with the car (3.6Kwh, 16 Amp, 230 Volts) at home it takes around 7 hours to charge from 0-100%
2) When charging at external charge stations like shopping malls, I get a charge time of 4 hours to fully charge from 0-100%
3) Using E-Charge mode while driving, it takes around 1 hour to fully charge from 0-100%
4) I measured the output of the "Porsche Standard charger" that comes with the car and it was showing that its charging at the
rate of 10 Amp although the sticker/specs on the back of the charger says 16 Amp.

So, if I get an after market Charger 16 Amp charger (assuming it will be actually 16 Amp output) will this allow me to charge at a faster rate?
I will reply to myself..
Today I have received my - after the Market- EV charger from Amazon.co.uk the specs are : "DUOSIDA Portable EV Charger Type 2, 3pin 16Amp"
and as I expected, this was charging at the rate of 16Amp compared to the Original Porsche which is charging at the rate of 10Amp.
So, this is what was causing me to have long charging times of about 50% more than expected.
Its very strange that the specs on label on the orginal Porsche charger says 16Amp but in actuality its +50% less.
now the display shows that a full charge from 0% will take 4 hour sharp.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:28 PM
zachf
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The included 3.6Amp charger has a 50% mode... If you hold down the "power" button at the top of the charger for about 5 seconds it'll toggle between 50% mode and 100% mode. I have the same car, same charger and can charge in about 3:30 on 240Volts.

Originally Posted by agaladari
I will reply to myself..
Today I have received my - after the Market- EV charger from Amazon.co.uk the specs are : "DUOSIDA Portable EV Charger Type 2, 3pin 16Amp"
and as I expected, this was charging at the rate of 16Amp compared to the Original Porsche which is charging at the rate of 10Amp.
So, this is what was causing me to have long charging times of about 50% more than expected.
Its very strange that the specs on label on the orginal Porsche charger says 16Amp but in actuality its +50% less.
now the display shows that a full charge from 0% will take 4 hour sharp.
The following users liked this post:
BlackRider (04-05-2022)
Old 10-02-2019, 12:33 PM
agaladari
Track Day

Thanks for the hint, but I have already tried this. By default, the original charger operates at 100% and pressing and holding the power button changes to 50%.
I have done an actual power measurement and found that charging at 100% shows 9.957Amp, while charging at 50% it measures 6.009Amp.
I have included photos to validate. Maybe my original charger has a malfunction.
Actually , if I charge at 100%, I get a full charge from 0 to100% in 6 hours. If I charge at 50% capacity, then its completes charge from 0 to 100% in 8.5 hours. Something must be wrong.

Quick Reply: Cayenne e-Hybrid Charging techniques questions