Notices
Cayenne 9Y0 2019 - 3rd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

All-New 2020 GLS Looks Great But Is It Really a CY Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:44 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

Ok, you got my attention, that's for sure.

So you know, we purchased a Panamera for my wife--she absolutely loves it. I love how it drives. Love. However, like you said, I am just not loving the low-rider drive of the Panamera. I literally have to fall into the car to get in, and climb out, and that just is not working for me. IF I was to get a LOW car, hells-bells, I'd just get the 911 and be done. Right?!

I need a car I can open the door, turn my body, and step out. Will I sacrifice cornering at high speeds? Sure. Will it have the suspension of a 911? No, but that's ok. Maybe I get a 911 for a fun car later. I do need four doors from time to time, but that is becoming less often these days.

So I understand what you're saying. I do. I want a fast, tight, fun car (SUV) to drive that doesn't make me sit on the ground--that car is a Cayenne. For now. Turbo is just over the top, I admit it. Stupid. I know, but I have never regretted a single sports car I have ever bought,...so I am all in. For now, anyway...

Originally Posted by gtr
I would have kept the Macan if it had rear leg space. The Q5 had decent rear seat space but not the Macan. Porsche did a wonderful job making it annoy people so they move up to the Cayenne. I have not driven the Cayenne Turbo yet. The problem with the Cayenne Turbo would be the Panamera GTS. The Panamera just feel like a higher quality car with less NVH. The big problem with the Panamera is that it sits too low and 911 like. Wish Porsche understand that if I want sit like a 911 I'll just dive a 911. It should sit higher with ease to get in and out and a spare tire for daily. The look alike Benz GT4 is even less practical with head bumping A pillars. So difficult to find the ultimate daily with kids.

If Porsche make a 3rd row option, PDK and drives like a Macan I'll be sold. I'm considering GLS after checking out the new GLE. Wish they kept the radio dial but that is gone.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:00 PM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I have had three AMG's, and they were beasts. They are different cars; they feel and respond differently. Porsche is the purest of sports cars, followed by BMW, then Mercedes, and in that order according to their handling; tightness, responsiveness and speed. I love them all, but the Porsche is just different. It is in a different class. All wonderful cars with different personalities.
Where do you put Audi in there? My last four cars: Q5, Macan S, Panny GTS, Q8. Had a couple 3-series coupes when younger, have never liked Mercedes although the S-class luxury is well ahead of anything in the price range that I’ve seen. I’m happy with the Q8 although it does not drive like a Porsche. It’s a really nice size, very comfortable and roomy cabin, great styling and 22in wheels, and a slick high-tech interior layout.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Where do you put Audi in there? My last four cars: Q5, Macan S, Panny GTS, Q8. Had a couple 3-series coupes when younger, have never liked Mercedes although the S-class luxury is well ahead of anything in the price range that I’ve seen. I’m happy with the Q8 although it does not drive like a Porsche. It’s a really nice size, very comfortable and roomy cabin, great styling and 22in wheels, and a slick high-tech interior layout.
I dig the Q8 personally but feel strongly that is needs an S version.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

I have test driven many high performance Audi sedans, but purchased none--not a fan, but excellent vehicles, nonetheless. I cannot rank them because I have never owned one. I would rather rely on those whom have owned several to weigh-in as their insight would be far more fair than my very limited experience.

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Old 04-19-2019, 01:23 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by pokingaround
I dig the Q8 personally but feel strongly that is needs an S version.
Totally agree — same goes with the Q7. Either the Euro (bad-boy) diesel SQ7 or a hypothetical SQ8 would’ve merited a serious look from us, had they existed when we ordered our Turbo. The standard models are too vanilla for us.

Quality vehicles, though.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:29 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

39 pics in and out

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/...lery/?slide=26
Old 04-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Ray831
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the link, nice but it's not a Porsche Cayenne replacement, too big for my taste and I like the sportier look of the Cayenne. Is it just me or do the front brake calipers look really small for such a big vehicle?
Old 04-19-2019, 05:10 PM
500RJC
Instructor

The GLE is more of a direct comp, but this is tempting. if we buy one the lics plate would read: PNZR-WGN
Old 04-25-2019, 12:14 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 500RJC
The GLE is more of a direct comp, but this is tempting. if we buy one the lics plate would read: PNZR-WGN
MB GLS = Audi Q7

What I meant to say is if you want an SUV with 3 rows of seats, you shouldn't even be looking at a Cayenne. I got rid of the Q7 because its boring to drive and just did not enjoy getting in it like I did my previous Cayenne. And the Q7 even had all the options on it, including air suspension, 4 wheel steering, 21" wheels. When I test drove the previous gen GLS, it was so big, it took the fun out of driving it. It reminded me of driving an american made SUV. Picked up my Cayenne Wednesday and am soooo happy to be driving one again.

Last edited by jrtouareg; 04-26-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
MB GLS = Audi Q7
The new GLS is way larger.

GLE Wheelbase 117.9
Q7 Wheelbase 117.9
GLS Wheelbase 123.4
Old 04-27-2019, 05:54 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
The new GLS is way larger.

GLE Wheelbase 117.9
Q7 Wheelbase 117.9
GLS Wheelbase 123.4
Correct, not even remotely close the same size. I think he was just referring to the fact both have three rows. I don't know anybody who seriously cross shooed the GLS and Q7.

I like the styling of the new GLS, more than the X7. No other great European three row options. The Disco is a piece of **** and the Q7 is a bland box and as boring as it gets to drive. Voice no longer counts.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:14 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by signes
Correct, not even remotely close the same size. I think he was just referring to the fact both have three rows. I don't know anybody who seriously cross shooed the GLS and Q7.

I like the styling of the new GLS, more than the X7. No other great European three row options. The Disco is a piece of **** and the Q7 is a bland box and as boring as it gets to drive. Voice no longer counts.
We did in 2017, and chose the Q7... and are now considering the all-new GLS as a replacement.

Quick Reply: All-New 2020 GLS Looks Great But Is It Really a CY Alternative?