Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne base OR Audi Q8 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne base OR Audi Q8 Premium Plus

I've been thinking to get a '19 Cayenne but I just saw a couple Q8 on the road, I like the new design but it kinda looks like a big car rather than a SUV. Has anyone considered one before buying a Cayenne?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:36 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've spent a lot of time in a few Q8's...wasn't impressed (has no soul), I like the Q7 and CY much better. I also believe Q8's are not selling all that well.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:38 AM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Drive them both. The Q8 is luxury but not sporty, similar to the Q7. The Cayenne handles impressively considering its weight and height. We are trading our Q7 in on a Cayenne next week

Last edited by MBR993; 03-27-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:09 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I own a Q7 with all options on it but its not engaging enough to drive. Test drove both Cayenne and Q8. Q8 is a better value but it rides much like the Q7. Cayenne is much more fun to drive so I ordered one in March and it will be here in May.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

I think the Q8 in 'S' (or better yet, RS!) spec would be fantastic, but found it underwhelming with its current engine.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM
bluesxtreme
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove both and I really liked the q8
interior but from a pure driving experience the Porsche hands down is sportier, quicker pickup, and much better steering feel.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:34 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

If I were to go with Audi, I would take the e-tron SUV over the Q8. A nicely equipped e-tron comes to about 70k after tax credits. Canceled my e-tron order (was first in line at my dealer) to get the Cayenne base instead. Wife does not like Audis, and the car is for her. But the value of the new e-tron is unmatched. My base is 94k MSRP; the e-tron was 78k msrp before tax credits, and would be 68k after credits. That is 25k difference!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:20 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by gago1101
If I were to go with Audi, I would take the e-tron SUV over the Q8. A nicely equipped e-tron comes to about 70k after tax credits. Canceled my e-tron order (was first in line at my dealer) to get the Cayenne base instead. Wife does not like Audis, and the car is for her. But the value of the new e-tron is unmatched. My base is 94k MSRP; the e-tron was 78k msrp before tax credits, and would be 68k after credits. That is 25k difference!
Hard to argue with your logic. But therein lies the problem. Today’s Audis, excepting the S and RS models, drive like German Buicks. And that may be insulting to Buick. Even their general styling theme can be pretty bland compared with the curves and cut lines of just 10 years ago, when Audi was manufacturing some really gorgeous cars.

The Q8 and e-tron are stunners. But they’re just pretty faces. The Cayenne is not exactly what you’d call a pretty car, at least from the outside. But its driving dynamics and fun factor are off the charts relative to any Audi SUV not called SQ5 or (sadly, unavailable in the U.S.) SQ7.

Is the Cayenne worth $25K more versus an e-tron or Q8? If you enjoy driving a toaster or cloud-infused pillow, absolutely not. But if you value handling, responsiveness and incredible braking even in base form, the Cayenne is the choice.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Our 2017 Q7 3.0 doesn't drive like a German buick at all...luv the MLB EVO platform in all its versions.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:38 AM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Hard to argue with your logic. But therein lies the problem. Today’s Audis, excepting the S and RS models, drive like German Buicks. And that may be insulting to Buick. Even their general styling theme can be pretty bland compared with the curves and cut lines of just 10 years ago, when Audi was manufacturing some really gorgeous cars.

The Q8 and e-tron are stunners. But they’re just pretty faces. The Cayenne is not exactly what you’d call a pretty car, at least from the outside. But its driving dynamics and fun factor are off the charts relative to any Audi SUV not called SQ5 or (sadly, unavailable in the U.S.) SQ7.

Is the Cayenne worth $25K more versus an e-tron or Q8? If you enjoy driving a toaster or cloud-infused pillow, absolutely not. But if you value handling, responsiveness and incredible braking even in base form, the Cayenne is the choice.
I have the Q8 and coming from a Macan S and a ’15 Panny GTS I have to agree with you the drive is not engaging at all. I had a ton of Cayenne loaners as well and they were much sportier. Disagree on the brakes though, the Q8’s stopping power is mind boggling. The Panny brakes were awesome but I seem to recall the Macan’s were weak. Had a Q5 awhile back and those brakes were amazing. Audi definitely knows brakes. The exterior styling of the Q8 is killer, the interior is sleek and modern, and it’s very spacious and comfortable but it just does not measure up to a Porsche in regards to driving dynamics. I love the look of the Lava Cayenne Coupe, may have to get into one of those next.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:24 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Not surprising the Cayenne forum will vote for the Cayenne!
Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Not surprising the Cayenne forum will vote for the Cayenne!
Pity the fool who complements anything other than the Cayenne and risk being called a toaster driver or a cloud infused pillow pilot by JCWLS3. You know he’s nearing the 500 post level, right? - all in less than one year and all related to the new Cayenne! Do not disrespect the Cayenne. (Full disclosure, my winter drive is in an A7. Wifey usually drives the Cayenne).
Old 03-31-2019, 02:22 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Pity the fool who complements anything other than the Cayenne and risk being called a toaster driver or a cloud infused pillow pilot by JCWLS3. You know he’s nearing the 500 post level, right? - all in less than one year and all related to the new Cayenne! Do not disrespect the Cayenne.
Now that's funny!

I'll throw out a tired old cliche for you: Opinions are like ...holes; everybody has one. My wife and I tried our best to like your Q7 on two separate test drives. We just couldn't. Sorry about that. My opinion of your car means less than nothing, I can assure you.

That being said, there are a number of things that bug me about our Cayenne. I won't rehash them here -- I've posted them enough. The car is far from perfect. But so far I think it's pretty cool -- it'd be around #5 in the top fun cars I've owned. (That also happens to be one of the things that bugs me, as I was hoping the most expensive car we've ever bought would be my favorite overall. Not so.) My wife loves it dearly, however, which is really all that matters.

And yes, it's true that I've posted mostly in the Cayenne forum. I don't own a 911, Panamera, 928, 944, Boxster, Cayman or any other Porsche, so I don't feel the need to announce my lack of expertise elsewhere. I do enough of that here.

Cheers to you, alpine-al. Enjoy your Audi and don't worry about what I've got to say about it or anything else if you like. It's all good.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 AM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
... My wife and I tried our best to like your Q7 on two separate test drives. We just couldn't. Sorry about that. My opinion of your car means less than nothing, I can assure you.
Cheers to you too, JCWLS3!

My winter vehicle is an A7, not a Q7.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:11 AM
rickjaffe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a loaded Q7 then a Cayenne base. The cars have the same engine I think (and very very similar to the Q8). The Cayenne handled alittle better than the Q7, I'd say 20% and it was alittle quicker, by bottom meter. But the Q7 was a much better and more rounded SUV, IMO, in terms of space and comfort, especially back seat comfort. No SUV is particularly attractive, IMO compared to cool designed sports cars.
If you're looking for passenger comfort, versatility (seating for 7), and reasonable cargo area, Q7 is the one to go with. I looked at the Q8 also, but I didn't see the value proposition. 10k or more than the Q7 and for that money, and no third row, closer case. I think the Q8 is and will be a dog. It needs an R version.

but here's another factor: what else do you drive. If you've got to get all your driving jollies from an SUV, and that's all you got, then maybe the cayenne makes more sense. But it's not a sports car and there's a thing called physics, meaning height and weight of the vehicle.
I get my driving kicks for 996 turbo cab with the 700 package and coils overs and an old corvette coup. The Q7 is plenty response and tossable enough (for an SUV) and plenty good enough for SUV type missions, and I got every safety feature available, which if available on the Cayenne would probably put the price north of 110k.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne base OR Audi Q8 Premium Plus