Sponsored By:

porsche Surface Coated Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:55 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default porsche Surface Coated Brakes

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of what's going on with this option? Asked my Salesman but he doesn't seem to have any information and think this
might be pushing back my order? Any Information would be great! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 AM
Kaiser_Soze
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's delaying mine too! ( I think?) Everyone is really tight lipped on this topic. No one, (my S.A. and G.M. and Porsche N.A.) will give me a reason why mine has been delayed multiple times, and now is delayed for another 6 months. Really disappointing!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:58 AM
B6guy
Rennlist Member

Are these delays for non Turbo models? I placed an order for a Turbo and so far everything is on schedule. Sorry to hear there are delays related to this.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Only thing I can come up with is maybe supplier issues and they only have a limited number of brakes in stock and being its standard on turbo models they will delay base and S models because it's an option? That's kinda my thinking but....
Old 01-31-2019, 02:21 PM
Kaiser_Soze
Intermediate

At one point I read awhile back was that, the manufacturer (not Porsche) of the actual PSCB brakes-their plant burnt down. I cannot confirm this, I read on the forums here.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:09 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Yes, both Turbos and non-Turbos are delayed because of PSCBs but Turbos are delayed much less because they are getting priority as it's the standard feature for them. My Turbo production date shifted from end of December to Feb. 8.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:51 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Well that SUCKS but whatcha gonna do is my thinking? Not going to cancel the brakes but annoying non the less! Wife will be happy because the longer it takes the more time I can still drive my car! She thinks I'm crazy anyhow for spending this much money on a car/suv!! But honey it's a Porsche I said and she replied but think about how much jewelry this would buy! Wo - man!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I imagine the delay is a supply issue. Probably a lot more people ordered PSCB than Porsche anticipated. It would take a while for the factory that makes them to expand production. The 992 does not list PSCB as an option now I'm sure because of this supply issue. These are going to be very popular brakes.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:42 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The brakes are certainly very good in terms of stopping power (although I haven’t driven
a current gen with carbon ceramics).
The big issue is pedal feel which is completely over-servoed and over sensitive.
Given that this is an SUV which will conceivably be taken off-road (or not) IMHO pedal feel should be more like current GT cars, or older 996 4S/turbo or 993 4S/turbo. Some slack. And much less
sensitive with more of a mechanical progressive feel until the limit. I guess that it shows
the different market segments they’re targeting.
On that note, witness the thumbs up and waves you get driving a 911 vs those driving a Cayenne/Panamera/Macan

Old 02-02-2019, 07:49 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Theodor
The brakes are certainly very good in terms of stopping power (although I haven’t driven
a current gen with carbon ceramics).
The big issue is pedal feel which is completely over-servoed and over sensitive.
Given that this is an SUV which will conceivably be taken off-road (or not) IMHO pedal feel should be more like current GT cars, or older 996 4S/turbo or 993 4S/turbo. Some slack. And much less
sensitive with more of a mechanical progressive feel until the limit. I guess that it shows
the different market segments they’re targeting.
On that note, witness the thumbs up and waves you get driving a 911 vs those driving a Cayenne/Panamera/Macan

I have 3000 miles on the Cayenne with PSCB. I agree the brakes are very sensitive and require a light foot. However, I have gotten used to them and don't even think about the sensitivity of the brakes anymore. In fact, when I drive the 13 C2S now I feel the brakes are a little soft, at least at first. That said, I think the PSCB would have been better a little less sensitive.
How do others feel, especially you Turbo folks?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 PM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I have 3000 miles on the Cayenne with PSCB. I agree the brakes are very sensitive and require a light foot. However, I have gotten used to them and don't even think about the sensitivity of the brakes anymore. In fact, when I drive the 13 C2S now I feel the brakes are a little soft, at least at first. That said, I think the PSCB would have been better a little less sensitive.
How do others feel, especially you Turbo folks?
Without a doubt, the PSCB on the Turbo is absolutely AMAZING!!! It's a night and day upgrade from the older red calliper brakes. They are a little sensitive, especially at below 5mph while easing into a parking spot or the garage and in stop-and-go traffic. It takes a little getting used to.
IMO, the only reason to upgrade to the PCCB would be for the yellow callipers(if you don't like the white callipers) and/or to get your vehicle built sooner due to the supply issues Porsche is having on the PSCB.

As for brake dust coating your wheels...that issue has finally been solved!

If you don't mind waiting, adding PSCB is worth it.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:03 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

MasonRite, as a PCCB Turbo owner I could not agree more. The HUGE 17.3” rotors and banana-yellow calipers make great conversation points, and are fun for bragging rights. But for daily street driving, PSCB is a real upgrade over standard iron rotors, and well worth the cost and delay IMHO.

I’ve posted elsewhere how impressed we were in test-driving a base Cayenne with PSCB long after our Turbo locked. I won’t repeat here except to say we thought the brakes were exceptional. We would not have switched but for the delay, and for sort of a bucket-list thing to own a car with ceramic brakes.

We love our PCCBs. Even introduced ourselves to an 80-year-old couple at our service drive in a 2016 911 Turbo S for the express purpose of picking their brain re: PCCB. Two of the nicest, most down-to-earth Porsche owners we’ll ever meet. (His advice? “If they start to make noise, stomp on them. HARD. Works every time.” His wife grinned as he spoke!)

I had occasion to take his words to heart last week. Drove the car to work in the rain and parked it in the parking garage. As I pulled out down two levels, I heard an embarrassing Clampett-like squeak. Whose POS 1999 Explorer is making that racket, I thought? Turns out it was our new $150K Cayenne! I stomped the hell out of the brakes a block later. Problem solved.

The only consideration I’d have re: PSCB is rotor cost at ~$1700 each. Cast iron is much cheaper. PCCB is outrageous at $5K, but could last basically forever in street driving, say experienced Rennlisters.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:27 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Awesome new brake technology. Test drove a Cayenne with them. Takes a few minutes to get used to them but they bite nicely and offer a noticeable improvement over iron.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:52 PM
Sheffield1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably due to the design fault on the brakes.
Horrendous squeal on every wheel rotation, stops when brake is applied.
Porsche are aware of the design fault but are not upcoming with a fix.
Parking it up next week and going legal as it's so loud.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:13 PM
cmcgonag
4th Gear

Ya my brakes squeal every rotation. I have already taken it in once. It just started again.

Quick Reply: porsche Surface Coated Brakes