Sponsored By:

2020 E-Hybrids batteries changing from 37 to 47 Ah

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:16 PM
trucker
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy 2020 E-Hybrids batteries changing from 37 to 47 Ah

Recently Porsche CEO Oliver Blume said that in 2020 Porsche will have new batteries for plug-in hybrids with 47 Ah instead of the current 37 Ah:

"Daimler has just announced that it will be releasing a plug-in hybrid with a range of almost 100 kilometers, in the second half of the year. When will you have one of those to offer?
Blume: The next generation of batteries will come in 2020, and will bring an increase in the ampere hours of our battery cells from 37 to 47. This will permit us to achieve larger ranges, which we will gradually introduce into our products."

A new battery will be awesome if the 47 Ah translates into a better electric range but my issue is I ordered a 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid which should arrive around September as everybody else that already ordered here in the US.
Is it possible that Porsche will replace the batteries already on the 2nd year running the 9Y0 Cayenne?
If Porsche decides to have the new battery on the 2020 E-Hybrids does that mean the 2019 will lose a lot of resale value?
I already cancelled my first order with the dealer some weeks ago because I wanted to add some options and the order was frozen already so it would look bad to cancel a second order now but it's just a bad feeling knowing that you are getting a new vehicle that Porsche could be making changes on the 2nd year of it.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:06 PM
TuckerNH
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certainly anxiety producing since I have a 2019 Cayenne Hybrid on order, but I have difficulty believing that Porsche would upgrade the Cayenne battery in the second year of production. However, I do think that inevitably Hybrid technology will improve at such a good clip that it will in turn depreciate older Hybrids faster. To me this ups the ante on leasing vs buying. If only Porsche would offer more favorable leases, including allowing for more options and higher amounts that can be included in the lease.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:40 AM
Pcar991
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche would upset all of their 2019 cayenne purchasers, myself included, if they increased the battery size in 2020. I can see next gen batteries being rolled out in all the mid cycle refreshes starting with the Panamera which is year ahead of the Cayenne. The frustrating thing for me is how delayed the delivery of this model is. I think everyone is scheduled to take deliver in September. Honestly, that late in the year they should be MY2020. We purchased our current family hauler, a 2011 Highlander hybrid in December 2010. It was a 2011 in 2011 for a whole year. With the Cayanne it will “technically” be a year old in just 4 months. Very annoying considering we put down our deposit the week the cayenne hybrid was announced way back in June of 2018 with a then delivery date of April 2019. The option always is to cancel the order and wait for a MY2020 build slot, which could very well get bogged down and delayed again with EPA and other emissions mandates. Then you’re taking delivery of your MY2020 at the end of that year and seeing how the “New” Cayenne was launched in 2018 in Europe now you’re butting up against the mid cycle refresh announcements and the cycle continues.... Just like smartphones, there is something new already in the pipeline before you even pick up new model.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:57 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm not sure if the increase from 37 to 47 Ah translates linearly into a range increase; if so, it would mean a 1.27 times increase in range. My 2018 (new-gen) Panamera E-Hybrid with 14-kWh battery pack (same as for new cayenne e-hybrid) gets about 25 miles of all-electric range under favorable conditions (35 mph with little stopping, warm temps above 60 deg F), and about 18-20 miles in sub-zero weather. A 1.27 times increase in range would translate to 24 (cold) to 32 (warm) miles of all-electric range, which would be really nice. Porsche actually went from a 10-kWh battery pack to 14 kWh the last couple of years, in going from S E-Hybrid to the newly designed E-Hybrids, without changing the size of the battery pack (they managed to pack the cells more tightly) ... Not sure if the increase in amp hours will increase the kWh capacity inherently...
Old 03-29-2019, 04:11 AM
Pcar991
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TuckerNH
Certainly anxiety producing since I have a 2019 Cayenne Hybrid on order, but I have difficulty believing that Porsche would upgrade the Cayenne battery in the second year of production. However, I do think that inevitably Hybrid technology will improve at such a good clip that it will in turn depreciate older Hybrids faster. To me this ups the ante on leasing vs buying. If only Porsche would offer more favorable leases, including allowing for more options and higher amounts that can be included in the lease.
The upcoming cayenne turbo s e-hybrid announcement is the one to watch. If those come with the current 14kw battery then a battery upgrade is not likely to heppen until the mid cycle facelift. If they upgrade the battery pack in the turbo s then we can all cancel our incoming September deliveries and re-order 2020’s with higher capacity batteries. Personally I doubt Porsche would do this as I’m certain all incoming orders would be cancelled/upgraded to the higher capacity models.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:11 AM
911NV
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This is why its called bleeding edge technology. I do applaud you guys for vetting it out for the rest of us. Hopefully youre on a short term lease.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Zak
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who is into the EV technology, is leasing any vehicle he gets as the technology is changing so fast you don't want to be stuck with the old. The delay in the hybrid is one of the reasons I went with a gas guzzler earlier this year, will check out the hybrid in a couple of years. No matter who you buy from right now you have to expect to be less that latest technology very quickly.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:36 AM
raydog9379
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak
I have a friend who is into the EV technology, is leasing any vehicle he gets as the technology is changing so fast you don't want to be stuck with the old. The delay in the hybrid is one of the reasons I went with a gas guzzler earlier this year, will check out the hybrid in a couple of years. No matter who you buy from right now you have to expect to be less that latest technology very quickly.
Pretty much as soon as you buy it, the next thing will be coming. That happens with everything, just need to live with it. So far I've been happy buying the prev. gen SEH. Range could be better (I think I'm around 14-16 miles in normal weather, winter when it was super cold in Chicago was 10-12 miles I believe). I'm hopeful they keep these all at the same size fitment wise, so that when the time comes for me (hopefully under warranty) that the battery can be swapped for the higher capacity. I have to imagine that the increase in number of cars out there will mean more replacements and ultimately costs coming down on those replacement batteries.
The following users liked this post:
Bassman37 (12-17-2021)
Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Pretty much as soon as you buy it, the next thing will be coming. That happens with everything, just need to live with it. So far I've been happy buying the prev. gen SEH. Range could be better (I think I'm around 14-16 miles in normal weather, winter when it was super cold in Chicago was 10-12 miles I believe). I'm hopeful they keep these all at the same size fitment wise, so that when the time comes for me (hopefully under warranty) that the battery can be swapped for the higher capacity. I have to imagine that the increase in number of cars out there will mean more replacements and ultimately costs coming down on those replacement batteries.
The infrastructure around those batteries may have changed, so that they can't be simply swapped out. But I do remember hearing that the new-gen E-Hybrids managed to increase the battery storage capacity (which went from 9.something to 14.4 kWh this past year, vs. the old S E-Hybrids) without increasing the size of the battery pack at all -- i.e., new design allowing more dense packing of batteries or whatever.

Quick Reply: 2020 E-Hybrids batteries changing from 37 to 47 Ah