Sponsored By:

Air Conditioning Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vangoose
I've had the car for almost 8 months and never noticed this option. How come no one finds it in the manual

Switching Eco mode on and off

When Eco mode is switched on, the air conditioning system operates particularly energy efficiently. The level of comfort in the vehicle may be reduced in order to improve fuel economy (e.g. the vehicle interior may take longer to heat up or cool down).
That stuff drives me crazy. Of course the reason everyone buys a Porsche is because they want to be as energy efficient as possible...
Old 05-17-2019, 11:34 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vangoose
I've had the car for almost 8 months and never noticed this option. How come no one finds it in the manual

Switching Eco mode on and off

When Eco mode is switched on, the air conditioning system operates particularly energy efficiently. The level of comfort in the vehicle may be reduced in order to improve fuel economy (e.g. the vehicle interior may take longer to heat up or cool down).
Let alone the service depts that are receiving CY's with AC complaints!
The following users liked this post:
Mrs Abu Dhabi (04-03-2021)
Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts

This is weird - my 2019 base Cayenne doesn't have an AC/ECO mode button. All my car has on its Climate screen is a button labeled Air Conditioning - see attached photo. Why would my car be different ? Vangoose and others with the AC.ECO button - did you have your PCM software updated recently? If not, why would your car have a different Climate display?
Old 05-19-2019, 12:06 AM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR

This is weird - my 2019 base Cayenne doesn't have an AC/ECO mode button. All my car has on its Climate screen is a button labeled Air Conditioning - see attached photo. Why would my car be different ? Vangoose and others with the AC.ECO button - did you have your PCM software updated recently? If not, why would your car have a different Climate display?
It's under comfort, see my image. You are in Air option.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 203 Posts

Ha! Thanks! I can’t believe I never found this before.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:54 AM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I hate to read this. Our Turbo has been through some very warm days here in North Texas (we were in the high 80s, with vicious sun and humidity, recently), and our heat-magnet Moonlight Blue Turbo cools just fine -- if you're patient enough to eff around with the various airflow options. That's the key to the whole deal. Read the advice above and heed it -- set airflow to Strong; turn off the useless center upper dash vents; and enable airflow to the top and center vents. Plenty of ice-cold air blows then. You can quiet things even further by enabling Recirc mode, which calms the noise but doesn't affect the airflow.

It's another annoying bit that involves Porsche engineers attempting to show the world just how damned smart they are. "We are so smart," they seem to say, "that we will reinvent the air conditioning ducting and make it better!" Porsche in some ways suffers from the same thing that ruins many smart guys in my business, which is this: I can take something that works just fine and improve it. Watch this, boss!

As a general rule, this is invariably a mistake. An on / off button for the compressor; manually adjustable vents; and two dials -- one for temperature, one for blower speed -- have worked great for 60 years. Why car companies continue to get cute with proven, reliable design and technology is beyond me.
Glad you could figure yours out. Mine is still garbage regardless of the settings. We've tried them all and so has the dealership. Between the defective AC and the constantly squealing brakes, I can't wait to get rid of this POS. $100k for an S and I've been sweaty and angry for all 3k miles. 2 more service calls and I'm done. Good riddance.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:43 AM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FyteOn
Glad you could figure yours out. Mine is still garbage regardless of the settings. We've tried them all and so has the dealership. Between the defective AC and the constantly squealing brakes, I can't wait to get rid of this POS. $100k for an S and I've been sweaty and angry for all 3k miles. 2 more service calls and I'm done. Good riddance.
Make sure the air distribution buttons are not red lined. All three on both sides should look like @LSR post above. “Ventillation panel”should have red line, “a/c” should have red line and I prefer “sync” to have red line. Under the comfort setting tab, “style” should be set to “strong” and “footwell” to “medium”. Eco should be off. Auto Recirc should be on. With these settings, our a/c is great in 95 degree heat.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:29 PM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by MBR993
Make sure the air distribution buttons are not red lined. All three on both sides should look like @LSR post above. “Ventillation panel”should have red line, “a/c” should have red line and I prefer “sync” to have red line. Under the comfort setting tab, “style” should be set to “strong” and “footwell” to “medium”. Eco should be off. Auto Recirc should be on. With these settings, our a/c is great in 95 degree heat.
I have the exact same setting as MBR993 described above. It has been at or above 100 degrees with over 70% humidity here in Charleston SC for 3 straight days and the AC in my car works well. I set the temp at 74 and the car cools down pretty quickly with the fan slowing down as the car gets to the temp setting. Works even better when I turn on ventilated seats to keep my backside from sweating after entering the hot car.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:09 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

I finally had time to take the car in with 2200 miles. They told me that every Gen3 Cayenne they have sold has either been in for A/C or will be. They told me they had a fix for it and that they'd just hook it up to the computer and it would be better. I picked it up and, if anything, it was worse. It's such a joke. At least they tried. With the brake squeal they told me: sorry, that's how it's made. I'll give it another 30 days until it's really hot out here and then I'll take it back in. If they don't figure it out it'll be back in July and then I'll just sue them under the lemon law statutes. I'm not dealing with this BS in July and August.
Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I hate to read this. Our Turbo has been through some very warm days here in North Texas (we were in the high 80s, with vicious sun and humidity, recently), and our heat-magnet Moonlight Blue Turbo cools just fine -- if you're patient enough to eff around with the various airflow options. That's the key to the whole deal. Read the advice above and heed it -- set airflow to Strong; turn off the useless center upper dash vents; and enable airflow to the top and center vents. Plenty of ice-cold air blows then. You can quiet things even further by enabling Recirc mode, which calms the noise but doesn't affect the airflow.

It's another annoying bit that involves Porsche engineers attempting to show the world just how damned smart they are. "We are so smart," they seem to say, "that we will reinvent the air conditioning ducting and make it better!" Porsche in some ways suffers from the same thing that ruins many smart guys in my business, which is this: I can take something that works just fine and improve it. Watch this, boss!

As a general rule, this is invariably a mistake. An on / off button for the compressor; manually adjustable vents; and two dials -- one for temperature, one for blower speed -- have worked great for 60 years. Why car companies continue to get cute with proven, reliable design and technology is beyond me.
I just got a 2019 as a loaner with 3k miles and came on here to see what I was doing wrong. The ac is a joke. It should be intuitively obvious how to work it. I encouraged my wife to drive it and her number one complaint was I'm hot and neither one of us could get the vents blowing right. Epic fail.

Edit: This thread was good though. Once you change the settings to comfort>strong its a solid ac unit. Dealers in Texas should do this to ALL Cayennes before a customer ever sits in one!

Last edited by JB 911; 05-31-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtouareg
I have the exact same setting as MBR993 described above. It has been at or above 100 degrees with over 70% humidity here in Charleston SC for 3 straight days and the AC in my car works well. I set the temp at 74 and the car cools down pretty quickly with the fan slowing down as the car gets to the temp setting. Works even better when I turn on ventilated seats to keep my backside from sweating after entering the hot car.
I noticed your signature lines, in which you indicate that you've owned multiple Touaregs and multiple Cayennes. How does the Cayenne compare to the Tourareg, from your experience?
(sorry if this is off-topic for this thread)
Old 06-01-2019, 10:52 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
I noticed your signature lines, in which you indicate that you've owned multiple Touaregs and multiple Cayennes. How does the Cayenne compare to the Tourareg, from your experience?
(sorry if this is off-topic for this thread)
The previous generation Touaregs and Cayennes are comparable if they both had the 3.6ltr engine or the 3.0 ltr TDI. The Cayennes tode a little firmer with the base suspension. The perfect vehicle for me since I tow a few times a year would be the 2019 with a TDI engine but we know that ain"t happening. The new Cayenne is much better than the previous gen.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Antonio Grimaldi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, did you resolve your issue?

I have Cayenne 2019 and I am having the exact problem. only difference is that it works perfectly for 120 min and then the ventilation stops *but* the fan is noisy inside the dashboard but nothing comes out. This happens until I stop the car for 30 min or so.

I brought the car for service, but the Service team was unable to identify the issue!

please let me know.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:00 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio Grimaldi
Hi there, did you resolve your issue?

I have Cayenne 2019 and I am having the exact problem. only difference is that it works perfectly for 120 min and then the ventilation stops *but* the fan is noisy inside the dashboard but nothing comes out. This happens until I stop the car for 30 min or so.

I brought the car for service, but the Service team was unable to identify the issue!

please let me know.
Nope and it's getting worse. Back seat has no air. The front AC is still beyond a joke. Service appt on Wed and meeting with Lemon Law lawyer on Friday.
Mrs Abu Dhabi (04-03-2021)
Old 09-29-2020, 12:09 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 910 Posts

Lest we not forget the standard German vehicle (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) air conditioning fan settings:

Low 1
Low 2
Low 3
Low 4
Low 5
Low 6
Full Blast
Old 09-29-2020, 06:09 AM
beefchopper
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Nope and it's getting worse. Back seat has no air. The front AC is still beyond a joke. Service appt on Wed and meeting with Lemon Law lawyer on Friday.
Have you tried the exact settings posted in the photos by Vangoose below in this thread? They corrected any issues for me. It is important to use your own desired settings which you personally find comfortable rather than let the car change automatically which settings it is using. I'm never been happy with the automatic setting for HVAC on any vehicle.
Mrs Abu Dhabi (04-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Problems