Sponsored By:

Air Conditioning Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Problems

Anyone having issues with the air conditioner? I've had my S for a little over a week and the air conditioning *#&%^& sucks. Practically nothing comes out of the middle vents unless it's the only one selected and it's at full blast At full blast it makes a tremendous amount of blowing noise for practically nothing. And, even when it's blowing, it's barely cold. It was 76 today and we could barely cool down the car. I'm assuming it's a defect and needs servicing, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a universal problem.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:27 PM
El Sapo
Advanced

Turn off the rear seat vents and see if that helps. I finally resolved to just keep mine in auto. (Macan) I could not tell what vent was open or what wasn't. Asked the service guy and he just laughed and said it's built for german weather and that if its hot inside the car? Open the windows …...seriously that's what they told me.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:21 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I have a 958 so things may be different. In my older Cayenne, there is an airflow settings under "vehicle - settlings - air-conditioning." There are three different settings: soft, normal, strong.

I assume the same functions are still available in the newer Cayennes?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:11 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Oh yeah, we did all the right settings. After an hour of testing, we found that the front left vent is completely dead, no air at all but noise. So something is up. The concerning part is that the air coming out of the other vents just doesn't get cold. There are enough Porsches here in Scottsdale that it can't be normal or everyone would die in the summer. Thx for the responses.
The following users liked this post:
poolie (05-30-2021)
Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issues. I have to turn it onto the 4th bar to even get some air out of that thing...
Old 03-03-2019, 03:12 AM
azra
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Same problem, the A/C under 3 bars is really pathetic and poor. you have to raise it to 4 bars to really notice the air.
the whole system is below my expectations.
also most of my settings are not getting saved, I usually have to redo them each time.

for those buying the cayenne and living in extreme hot conditions, I strongly urge you to test it first.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:35 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by azra
Same problem, the A/C under 3 bars is really pathetic and poor. you have to raise it to 4 bars to really notice the air.
the whole system is below my expectations.
also most of my settings are not getting saved, I usually have to redo them each time.

for those buying the cayenne and living in extreme hot conditions, I strongly urge you to test it first.
I live in Florida and have had no issues. On my other cars I set the AC temperature to a number, say 76, to get the cabin to the right temperature. On the Cayenne, setting the AC to a set temperature doesn't work well. I simply move the temperature up or down, irrespective of the number shown, to get to the desired cabin temperature.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 AM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche is known for having weak AC. When we first test drove the Panamera years ago, it was a very hot day and we noticed it. The salesman suggested to get 4-zone climate system because it had a secondary AC unit and blower which would help cooling the cabin. We took his advice and did the same when we purchased our Cayenne 958 and we’ve never found the AC being inadequate on both cars. I guess for sports cars like the 911, it’s not an issue due to much smaller interior space.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:39 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I know there are more setting in the 9Y0 as you can now set the center to be off. I think this may be some type of mode or setting since you said it works when in auto. Its too cold in NY to try the A/C easily.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:06 AM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by El Sapo
Turn off the rear seat vents and see if that helps. I finally resolved to just keep mine in auto. (Macan) I could not tell what vent was open or what wasn't. Asked the service guy and he just laughed and said it's built for german weather and that if its hot inside the car? Open the windows …...seriously that's what they told me.
Lol if you’ve ever been to Germany in the summer they don’t have air conditioning AT ALL. I had to take naps in the rental car with the engine running and the AC on blast.

Still, that service guy is a douche for saying that. In America we pay for and like our AC...
Old 03-03-2019, 01:52 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I live in Florida and have had no issues. On my other cars I set the AC temperature to a number, say 76, to get the cabin to the right temperature. On the Cayenne, setting the AC to a set temperature doesn't work well. I simply move the temperature up or down, irrespective of the number shown, to get to the desired cabin temperature.
Same here. We've had a few days in the high 70s with lots of sun and humidity. The automatic climate control feature doesn't seem to work so well then -- like a virgin boy on his first trip to the honeypot, lots of noise and very little action. I found controlling the blower motor manually and adjusting the vents via the PCM got some good, cool air blowing pretty well.

I agree the center vents don't seem to do much. I ended up with most of the air blowing out of the side vents. Good and cold, though.

We do have the 4-zone climate control, if that makes a difference as a previous poster mentioned. It'll probably warm up quick where we live. I'll post some more after we hop in our blackish-blue Cayenne on a 90- (or 100-) degree day after it's been sitting in the sun. As of right now, I am choosing to believe that Porsche did extensive hot-weather testing in the soutwestern U.S. just like every other global car manufacturer does, and built the HVAC system accordingly.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:18 PM
afel
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yep it’s whimpy

same issue on my four zone 19 Cayenne Turbo. What’s worse for me is the loud noise it makes with little airflow
Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Never had cold issue with my 958 even when I travel to central CA valley in the middle of Summer. Ditto with my 991.

You guys with issues should check with your dealers. These cars are now close or more than $100k. A good aircon should be expected. Maybe the issue is bc Porsche has basically delegated a lot of the components to Audi/VW?
Old 04-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem. Wek air coming from the middle/ center vents. I think it’s not only mine, as I test drive another cayenne and it too had a very week air coming out.

What i did is to help is I turn off the ventilation on the dash board and also turn the “automatic” setting from strong to Low. This shouldn’t impact the side vents as you set the temperature manually.

for some reason the above configuration helped a little. Still very weak compared to the side vents
Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 49 Posts

My solution is as follows: turn off auto, turn off top dash vent, and manually select the center vents only (top/dash and floor vents set to off). This seems to get noticeably better air flow out of the vents above the shifter. Max seems to work well in this mode also (I haven’t paid enough attention to see what settings Max overrides, if any). It isn’t great but it’s the best I’ve been able to do. I don’t like the fact that it requires turning off the floor vents, which I normally prefer to leave on, but I think it’ll be ok as a long-term solution. We’ll see, as the hot Houston summer is quickly approaching.

It’s still utterly ridiculous that we have to deal with things like this on a vehicle of this caliber. It amazes me that Porsche put the vehicle into production with the climate control functioning like this.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Problems