Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Turbo Break Squeal PSCB

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 12:59 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

3300 miles and noise remains a clear "groan" as you drive at slower speeds even up to 35 mph. Btw, my dealer said the springs/ clips/ brake pads is no longer a certain fix when they last spoke to regional Porsche Tech.... perhaps Porsche is stalling until they figure it out ..... but hopefully the above noted dealer visit works and we have a real solution
Old 06-30-2019, 02:17 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Alright that’s it, I’m spec’ing PCCB. I figure the PCCB will pay for themselves over the PSCB after one hypothetical PSCB front brake service at ~40,000 miles (my best estimate assuming normal iron brakes is 30,000 mile and Porsche claims 30% increases life) when the $4000 front rotors plus pads need replacing.
Similar thought process for us in financially justifying our decision to go PCCB.

That being said, our financial model goes out the window with one chipped rotor at $5K-plus.

But yes, I can confirm they are fantastic. We absolutely love our ceramics. They make her badass SUV look like something from another planet, and they stop like nothing we've ever experienced. People at gas stations, restaurants, stores, etc. have commented / questioned multiple times about what's going on inside those wheels.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:33 AM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally have an update…

The dealer ended up replacing one of the front calipers. After they replaced it, they noticed it still had the squeal. They spent 2+ weeks testing everything and it ended up being the back-right caliper. They did some adjustments(possibly the retainer clips) to the rear caliper, which did help alleviate the sound for about 200 miles, give or take. After 200+/- miles, the sound has returned slightly but you really have to listen for it. My SA did mention that Porsche issued another updated set of brake pads. Which would make this a 2nd version of the already updated replacement pads.

On a side note; Porsche also had a large software update for the ever-growing list of software issues. Unfortunately, this software update did not solve any of the issues I have been experiencing with their system.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:56 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by afel
Thanks @Theodor ! Supposedly the retainer is at the dealership and i reminded them about the pads. Looking forward to reporting what i hope is good news next week!!
Any updates on your car post retainer clip install?
Old 07-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MasonRite
I finally have an update…

The dealer ended up replacing one of the front calipers. After they replaced it, they noticed it still had the squeal. They spent 2+ weeks testing everything and it ended up being the back-right caliper. They did some adjustments(possibly the retainer clips) to the rear caliper, which did help alleviate the sound for about 200 miles, give or take. After 200+/- miles, the sound has returned slightly but you really have to listen for it. My SA did mention that Porsche issued another updated set of brake pads. Which would make this a 2nd version of the already updated replacement pads.

On a side note; Porsche also had a large software update for the ever-growing list of software issues. Unfortunately, this software update did not solve any of the issues I have been experiencing with their system.
Sorry to hear. I read that Porsche includes tungsten carbide particles in the break pads to be able to get the necessary friction against the tungsten carbide rotor surface. I wonder what else they are changing in each revision to try and change the vibration properties causing the noises while not never overly impacting other aspects of the braking performance.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:35 AM
afel
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Regrettably the noise is back, even after they installed new clips. Loud as ever and even does it when I turn the wheel. I am honestly thinking about the California Lemon Law. I do like my Turbo but maybe I just need the Ceramic breaks that do not have the engineered flaw they just can't figure out.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:27 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

OK. I have an update for everyone. After 4 trips to the dealer (with steadily increasing unbearable noise) and in the process of waiting for Porsche to process the lemon law claim- which I was advised will be happen any day- I decided to use the power washer to clean any potential residue off of the rear brake system (Right rear wheel was the source of the sound and this was the wheel that was powerwashed). The sound went away completely immediately, but as the car was left in the sun for a few hours, it came back worse than ever later that evening. It seemed more and more like a corrosion issue related to a spring. I took the wheel off, put three to four drops of WD40 silicone water resistant lubricant on any visible spring or non contact area around the caliper and BOOM! The sound went away 100 percent and hasn't come back EVER. This was 3 weeks ago....I wanted to wait to see if it would last before posting anything here, and I'm pretty convinced that this is a permanent fix. I hope this may help some of you dealing with this issue.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Mr_Marty
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ak432
OK. I have an update for everyone. After 4 trips to the dealer (with steadily increasing unbearable noise) and in the process of waiting for Porsche to process the lemon law claim- which I was advised will be happen any day- I decided to use the power washer to clean any potential residue off of the rear brake system (Right rear wheel was the source of the sound and this was the wheel that was powerwashed). The sound went away completely immediately, but as the car was left in the sun for a few hours, it came back worse than ever later that evening. It seemed more and more like a corrosion issue related to a spring. I took the wheel off, put three to four drops of WD40 silicone water resistant lubricant on any visible spring or non contact area around the caliper and BOOM! The sound went away 100 percent and hasn't come back EVER. This was 3 weeks ago....I wanted to wait to see if it would last before posting anything here, and I'm pretty convinced that this is a permanent fix. I hope this may help some of you dealing with this issue.
I've suspected from the beginning that this issue is caused by the pads not retracting fully. This is a classic cause of break squeal.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 PM
turbo power
Advanced

AK432- Did you have any work done on the PSCB brakes eg change springs or calipers.....or was this simply oiling the original setup/ springs?
Old 07-13-2019, 01:41 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbo power
AK432- Did you have any work done on the PSCB brakes eg change springs or calipers.....or was this simply oiling the original setup/ springs?
Yes. The calipers were changed all around, the brake pads were changed, and I was told that the springs on the rear brakes were changed as well. (A total of four dealer visits without a resolution.....)
Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 AM
Oldbro
Intermediate

Did you go through with the buy back and get a new Porsche?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Do you have any photos showing where you applied the WD40? Obviously applying lubricant anywhere near the braking system requires extreme caution.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:20 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mech33
Do you have any photos showing where you applied the WD40? Obviously applying lubricant anywhere near the braking system requires extreme caution.
Photos would certainly help.....additionally I am wondering if this WD40 fix works, then simply asking my dealer to apply it. Not sure if they get into warranty issues - or use a different lubricant - but seems like a straightforward solution to something Porsche has been unable to address thus far.

I will test with them. In the meantime any more detail/ photos would indeed be very helpful as well as any update should the noise return- thanks!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 619 Posts

That sounds like a common fix for brake noise when using track pads on street-driven cars. Typically the recipe is to put brake grease on every caliper surface that touches the pad, without any getting on the friction surfaces, of course.

I'd highlight two things:
1. The original post mentions WD40 Silicone Lubricant, which is NOT the same as regular WD40. Regular WD40 would be much worse at this - less viscous, evaporates when brakes get really hot, and more penetrating (potentially getting where it should no get). So DO NOT use regular WD40. Silicone spray should be ok, but may not last more than a few months.
2. Better yet use brake grease, which is designed to not wash away or evaporate when brakes heat up. For track cars, I use permatex ceramic purple or red (https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...rts-lubricant/) which is rated for 3000°F (not a typo), but that's a huge overkill for Cayenne. Any high-quality brake grease should work just fine. There are spray-on brake grease options too, for easier application.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 PM
Fly121
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is my squeal.
no brakes applied I get a clicking squeal.
brakes applied I get the high pitched squeal.
porsche engineers should be embarrassed selling this vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Turbo Break Squeal PSCB