Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne Turbo Break Squeal PSCB

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 11:37 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

1200 miles and no break squeal yet on PSCBs...will see if this starts showing up later as noted in some posts
Old 04-05-2019, 12:52 AM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a squeal. I had the rear pads and springs (I guess these hold the pads away from the disks when no brake pressure applied) replaced and the whole system rebedded and lubricated. No more squealing. For a few weeks now. Apparently, this fix is known and I would encourage those still experiencing the problem to engage with their local dealer/service center. Incidentally, it is difficult for me to understand how this could emerge in the first place as the high performance basic caliper design is well known.

As a long-time Porsche owner and investor who loves the brand, this squeal was borderline non-driveable - embarrassing at least - and I think both you and the dealer have an interest in promptly dealing with it.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:04 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Theodor. Your solution seems like a no brainer, but unfortunately the dealer has essentially given up on my car and referred me to PCNA. They too have been slower than I expected in processing things and the squeak is actually bad enough that the car is now parked in my garage and I am no longer driving it. It used to be just embarrassing but now it's not really possible to drive it. They have discussed all kinds of solutions including what car I want to drive as I am waiting for "germany to offer a definitive fix", but it's surprising how the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and they are acting as though this issue with my rear brakes and the squeak is known and does not have a solution as of yet.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:46 AM
afel
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I too am in Los Angeles and had the the dealer response from DTLA and South Bay. In the same boat as @ak432
Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's amazing in this day and age all the US dealerships dont have/share the same info
Old 04-06-2019, 02:01 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Theodor
I had a squeal. I had the rear pads and springs (I guess these hold the pads away from the disks when no brake pressure applied) replaced and the whole system rebedded and lubricated. No more squealing. For a few weeks now. Apparently, this fix is known and I would encourage those still experiencing the problem to engage with their local dealer/service center. Incidentally, it is difficult for me to understand how this could emerge in the first place as the high performance basic caliper design is well known.

As a long-time Porsche owner and investor who loves the brand, this squeal was borderline non-driveable - embarrassing at least - and I think both you and the dealer have an interest in promptly dealing with it.
I'm really hoping that this resolves the issue for you Theodor. I have been dealing with PCNA for the past 2 weeks and they have bumped the issue up to their higher levels (they tell me highest level...but who really knows). The issue is related to defective caliper springs, but what they tell me is that they don't yet have new springs anywhere. They claim that replacing the pads and using new existing springs will be a temporary fix and also claim that they have tried this on a few cars and the sound has come back. Interestingly, they make it seem like since this is not a "safety" issue and they will call me when they hear something about a new part which "will likely happen this year!!!"

Needless to say....that's not gonna work for me. The car sounds like a jalopy coming down the street and is not driveable. It's unfortunate, but we are getting to the point where I have to take this to the next level.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:47 PM
MasonRite
Track Day

I am having the same issue as well. It’s more of a rattle/squeaking sound.
Unfortunately, the rattle does not go away above 35mph. I can hear it at freeway speeds. The rattle started sometime between 800 to 1000 miles. I currently have 1700 miles and it’s only getting louder and more frequent.

I have an appointment with my SA this week to address this issue, as well as 12 other problems, that need to be addressed.
I have a feeling PCNA is going to drag their feet as long as they can on the brake issue.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:09 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW this is upsetting to say the least! I ordered my S with these brakes and hope they come up with a fix fast for you guys with the issues! Hopefully
my new cayenne will have the newer springs on it but who knows? Hopefully this gets resolved soon!
Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 PM
afel
Advanced

Good luck @dspvend! I am nearing 4k miles and they still squeal! At least everyone knows when i am arriving...So embarrassing!
Old 04-17-2019, 01:41 PM
afel
Advanced

Just called PCNA to see if there was any update. Had a very unenthusiastic service rep who just said, yes a known issue but don't call us. The dealers will know first. Lame.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:06 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

It always puzzles me when issues like this occur in production vehicles once the public starts taking delivery and gets a few miles on them. This after the manufacturer has boasted about their millions of miles of real world testing under all kinds of conditions (some even provide video of this in their advertising). How does something so apparently obvious not get caught during this alleged extensive pre-production testing? I've seen this scenario play out so many times over the decades with nearly every manufacturer out there.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:20 PM
afel
Advanced

Well said! Yes, it is very sad. It takes away brand equity and I'm candidly embarrassed to drive the vehicle at low speeds in a public space. At least my wife and friends can laugh at the Cayenne while just stopping short of calling it a POS.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:12 PM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
It always puzzles me when issues like this occur in production vehicles once the public starts taking delivery and gets a few miles on them. This after the manufacturer has boasted about their millions of miles of real world testing under all kinds of conditions (some even provide video of this in their advertising). How does something so apparently obvious not get caught during this alleged extensive pre-production testing? I've seen this scenario play out so many times over the decades with nearly every manufacturer out there.
Test engineer: these brakes make a lot of noise.
Test engineer's boss: didn't we make a youtube video telling people the noise is normal?
Test engineer: ...
Old 04-17-2019, 04:45 PM
afel
Advanced

That is funny for so many reasons!
Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Turbo Break Squeal PSCB