Sponsored By:

Oil level indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:52 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Oil level indicator

I check the oil level once or twice a week, about as often as my wife lets me drive the car.

We've got about 1200 miles on our Turbo. Today the oil level dropped down a single notch from the top ("full") level to the segment immediately below. It's still well into the green.

Good to Know only addresses what to when the level reaches the minimum, yellow mark -- mentioning to add the amount of oil indicated on the instrument cluster.

I'd rather not wait that long. I don't suppose anyone knows if there is a definite, measurable oil volume between the green striations? And if so, what that volume might be?

I mentioned in another thread I'm a little OCD. What I meant is, I'm a LOT OCD. So if you can help a brother out, please do.

Thanks, fellow Rennlisters.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:44 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. If you had a real dipstick you probably wouldn't do anything. Our old Cayenne and current Macan usually need a quart here and there, which we added once the level got to the lower limit.

If you really want to do something, you could do an early or mid point oil change.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:21 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Got it. I was hoping it might be a quart, maybe two at the most, from Full to Low. With a 10-quart sump it’s no big deal for me to wait like you do. If it was five quarts down to Low, different story.

Thsnks for the info. Since complaining about no dipstick is pointless, I’ll just smile and move on.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:33 PM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Got it. I was hoping it might be a quart, maybe two at the most, from Full to Low. With a 10-quart sump it’s no big deal for me to wait like you do. If it was five quarts down to Low, different story.

Thsnks for the info. Since complaining about no dipstick is pointless, I’ll just smile and move on.
If you're really OCD like you said you are, I would suggest that you download the Connect app on your phone. You can check oil levels as much as your cell phone data plan allows (and, to sound a bit creepy, maybe her locations too)
Old 02-08-2019, 09:09 PM
BOCO
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3

Not to hijack the thread, where did you find the oil capacity? I couldn't find it in the owners manual. Any idea what the amount would be to change the oil with a new filter?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

On the 958 series - every segment = 250ml (1/4 liter). I'd assume the same on the new ones.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:00 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BOCO
Not to hijack the thread, where did you find the oil capacity? I couldn't find it in the owners manual. Any idea what the amount would be to change the oil with a new filter?
Ten quarts is the figure quoted by our dealer, although he did say, “9 to 10 quarts.”

Quick Reply: Oil level indicator