Sponsored By:

Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Fly121
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film

Has anyone had the paint protection film on the vehicle?
I saw at my local dealer a Cayenne had the protective film on the hood, front bumper,front fenders and inside door handles areas.
My local dealership calls it American Starshield Film and it is a clear wrap.
They wanted $3,500.00 to do this which I think is very expensive and I know I can negotiate it down.
All comments are welcome.......

Old 02-07-2019, 05:32 PM
RLNTL3S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

At a Paint Protection Film shop that should run you around 2 - 2.5k at the very most.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:49 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was quoted $1700 for full nose but I think I'll do ceramic instead. Definitely something to source to 3rd party as opposed to dealership.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Do it third party. Have put PPF on 4 cars now and will do my GT3. I typically do full front and depending on car the mirrors. Do some research and pick a top quality installer. Cheapest isn't always best and most expensive isn't either. Go with Xpel or 3M Pro Series. Some like SunTek. If you stick with those 3 brands I'm sure you'll be good for a quality film that majority of the market uses.

It's fairly cheap insurance against chips, scratches etc. Obviously won't stop everything but will stop a decent amount of common things. This being said I probably wouldn't spend the money on a leased DD.

Porsche is now getting in the game, you can spec PPF on 992 from the factory. No idea what brand film they use.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 PM
redyps
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by FyteOn
I was quoted $1700 for full nose but I think I'll do ceramic instead. Definitely something to source to 3rd party as opposed to dealership.
Ceramic is not a substitute for PPF. Two different purposes entirely.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redyps
Ceramic is not a substitute for PPF. Two different purposes entirely.
Understood, but I'm not doing both and I'm opting for ceramic coating.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:36 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are all getting ripped off. I paid $1150 for the thicker 3M 18” up the hood, front fenders, mirrors and under door handles including fog lights on my wife’s Macan. You all just need to shop around a little. I paid roughly the same on my CLS63 and $950 on my X5.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:06 PM
FyteOn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cyclenut1
You are all getting ripped off. I paid $1150 for the thicker 3M 18” up the hood, front fenders, mirrors and under door handles including fog lights on my wife’s Macan. You all just need to shop around a little. I paid roughly the same on my CLS63 and $950 on my X5.
"Ripped off" is subjective given location. But yes, shopping around is recommended.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:13 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FyteOn
"Ripped off" is subjective given location. But yes, shopping around is recommended.
Good point. For a dealership to charge $3500 regardless where it’s located is criminal.

Last edited by Cyclenut1; 02-08-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:28 AM
ThaiGuy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Xpel done on the full front at Colorado Clear Bra for $1,900. If anyone here is in Colorado, you want to speak with Kirby. He is very crafty and personable. Pages of P-cars were done at his shop.

https://www.bestclearbra.com/vehicle-makes/porsche
Old 02-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Automotive Elegance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely worth shopping around! You should also ask exactly what product they are using, for example we use Xpel which is the top brand in the industry. We partner with dealerships all over Massachusetts and New Hampshire and as long as the dealer is careful the product can come out fantastic, but bringing it to a dedicated shop absolutely has some advantages, mainly there just being so fewer confounds in the installation process.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Gmoe01
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been researching paint protection for a few months and this is what I can say for my region of the country (Pacific Northwest):

First, I talked with some owners, then with the Porsche, Ferrari, & Maserati Dealerships. And I visited a few shops. For pricing, since there were so many different wrap levels, I decided to compare Full Wrap price at all of them, assuming the lesser wraps would be proportional.

1. Price - the full wraps, without paint correction, ranged from $5,000 to $7,000.
2. Sun-Tek and Xpel are by far the top choices. When pushed on it, people say Sun-Tek is "clearer and shines better". Although, I was unable to see them side by side, so couldn't say for myself. Some also say that the Sun-Tek is a bit more flexible, and therefore easier for the applier to do a perfect job.
3. 3M was not thought of very highly. People said it is "too thick, you can see the lines" and "it doesn't last as long."
4. As long as you are using Xpel or Sun-Tek, the results depend entirely upon the skill and experience of the folks who are applying the film. So make sure you see samples, and read online comments!
5. The Porsche dealership recommended three shops, with their clear favourite being a shop that uses Sun-Tek film and Modesta ceramic coating.
6. The Ferrari dealership recommended a handful of shops, but like Porsche, their favorite was the same Sun-Tek/Modesta shop.
7. When I asked both dealerships "which shop did you take the dealership owner's cars to", they both replied this same, highly recommended shop.
8. I visited Porsche and Ferrari's favorite shop. It's co-owned by a couple, and the lady does all the wrapping. (They also do paint correction, detailing and after market modification work). Everyone raves about this woman's ability to wrap a car so that it is really invisible. She has many repeat customers. I was certainly impressed. They seem to have most of the Ferrari market and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Porsche market. Their cost to fully wrap a Cayenne is $6,500. They also use Modesta BC-4 after the wrap for another $800.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by Gmoe01; 02-09-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 PM
SoGho
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had xpel installed on the hood and front fascia, and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light ceramic coating on the whole car for $1700 (in Atlanta/Alpharetta).
Old 02-14-2019, 10:56 AM
jrtouareg
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My Porsche dealer in Greenville, SC offered to do Xpel for the front third of hood, front bumper plus top of rear bumber (to protect from loading items) for $1500.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film