Sports design - Paint cladding/ plastic

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 05:58 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sports design - Paint cladding/ plastic

Guys,

Actually besides the front bumpers, isn't the sportsdesign front apron option just paining the cladding/ plastic parts on the rear bumper and also sides?
if so should we just paint the plastic parts ourselves? of course im intending to use a professional to do this.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

See below
Old 02-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Patek2301
Guys,

Actually besides the front bumpers, isn't the sportsdesign front apron option just paining the cladding/ plastic parts on the rear bumper and also sides?
if so should we just paint the plastic parts ourselves? of course im intending to use a professional to do this.
No, you get different flared front/rear bumpers plus flared side skirts and bigger flared wheel arches. Painting the black trim will never give you the sleeker, lower and more aggressive GTS look.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

What he said. Plus, we asked about painting at our dealer (they have their own body shop). They do not paint the cladding. It's a textured, ruggedized surface to which it's apparently difficult to get primer to adhere. Paint will stick... for a time.

SportDesign looks great. Love the aggressiveness of it, especially at the rear (the front I'm not as wild on). But we were advised to skip it were we planning to take our Cayenne off-road. Which we will -- occasionally, on vacation. Shiny painted, slightly lower-hanging bits are not the friend of gravel, rocks, mud, etc. on the trail.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Georgie23
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a look at a white one today - looks superb in the light colours (cannot justify the price) but on a black/MB/grey I think it i a waste of money as you will not appreciate it anywhere near as much
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

Thanks for your inputs.

the thing is that I prefer the sport design (front apron) which only include the front bumper and also the sides painted (not side skirts) and also part of the rear cladding painted.

i think the sports design which includes the side skirts and rear bumper is too aggressive for my liking
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your inputs.

the thing is that I prefer the sport design (front apron) which only include the front bumper and also the sides painted (not side skirts) and also part of the rear cladding painted.

i think the sports design which includes the side skirts and rear bumper is too aggressive for my liking
I ultimately decided to go with the Sport Design Front Fascia because I liked the more aggressive front end, painted sides, and clean painted look in the rear (straight line). I debated the rear but ultimately felt the rear was too busy with the full Sport Design package. Another plus is the Sport Design Front Fascia is cheaper too! To each their own though!
The following users liked this post:
MJM888 (12-23-2023)
Old 02-13-2019, 03:50 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by QQQ
To each their own though!
Absolutely. As long as you’re happy with the car you’re purchasing with your own hard-earned money, nothing else matters.

I don’t think I’ve seen owner photos of just the SD front end, and how it integrates with the rest of the car. I’d love to see your car when you’ve got it.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCWLS3

Absolutely. As long as you’re happy with the car you’re purchasing with your own hard-earned money, nothing else matters.

I don’t think I’ve seen owner photos of just the SD front end, and how it integrates with the rest of the car. I’d love to see your car when you’ve got it.
Will definitely share once car comes in
Old 02-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Patek2301
Advanced

I don’t know how to attach pictures but here’s the link. I think car looks cleaner. Very similar to turbo.

https://mobile.penskecars.com/for-sa...t-8578935.html
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 PM
andy7771
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I start seeing 2019 Cayenne on the road. When I admire the overall design, that rear bumper with a huge portion of cladding looks like an unfinished product. Turbo's rear bumper is acceptable. Sport design is great!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:03 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by andy7771
I start seeing 2019 Cayenne on the road. When I admire the overall design, that rear bumper with a huge portion of cladding looks like an unfinished product. Turbo's rear bumper is acceptable. Sport design is great!
While the cladding may not be as aesthetically pleasing to the eye, it serves the practical purpose of taking a beating from rocks and debris that might ding the car's paint. I wish they had an option to just remove the cladding and then you would have everything painted by default and not have to pay extra.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

I don’t know how to attach pictures but here’s the link. I think car looks cleaner. Very similar to turbo.
https://mobile.penskecars.com/for-sa...t-8578935.html
Hey, thanks for sharing that. You are right. It looks very clean, but still retains some of the lower unpainted ruggedized cladding. It looks a thousand percent better than the standard bodykit on the base, S or e-Hybrid -- the cladding is too thick, I think.

That option seems a good compromise on looks versus cost and performance compared with the full-on SportDesign body kit. The front end is still a little puffy and fish-faced for my taste, but that's just my own personal view.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 PM
Patek2301
Advanced

Originally Posted by QQQ
While the cladding may not be as aesthetically pleasing to the eye, it serves the practical purpose of taking a beating from rocks and debris that might ding the car's paint. I wish they had an option to just remove the cladding and then you would have everything painted by default and not have to pay extra.
Do you all think that a professional paint company properly prime and paint the cladding?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:33 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Do you all think that a professional paint company properly prime and paint the cladding?
I think the consensus is if you choose any of the metallic paints it will be difficult to match. If you go with the standard white or black then it will be easier to match. My guess is it is hit or miss (dependent on the skill level of the third party doing the painting) and it's always better to go with the original manufacturer than outside on these things. Same goes for the black trim around the window. You could go third party and save some money but it probably won't look as clean as Porsche would do it.

Quick Reply: Sports design - Paint cladding/ plastic