Sponsored By:

Future Cayenne owner... ditching the BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Think of PASM as what Adaptive Drive does for the X5, and then add PDCC and that's what Adaptive drive should be..

I came from an e70 to the 958.1 GTS. I had the pre LCI e70 4.8. I had adaptive drive and my GTS without PDCC is more planted in the corners, however I would say that the X5 felt a bit more solid at speed because of it's weight. It weighed about 600 pounds more.
Interior feel will be much more luxurious in the Cayenne than the X5 though.
I had E70 with active anti-roll, and I also had F16 base and F16 with DHP. DHP is adaptive suspension, active anti-roll and torque vectoring.
I like E70 the most since it's got hydraulic steering. F15/16 base is like what OP said, a boat.
F15/16 with DHP is like Porsche PASM + PDCC + PTV. It handles very well and also changes the steering feel, but ride is harsh.

Now I have the Cayenne base with PASM (no-air). I can say it handles as well as X5 with DHP, but a lot more comfortable. There are few things BMW does better, like surround camera, some electrical stuff, more storage for front passengers, and the engine and transmission is tuned better.

Overall, I will still take cayenne over X5.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveTwoFifty
Thanks for the explanations.

Ah, gotcha. Meaning PASM is like what the PDCC was for the X5? Or that I should consider the PDCC on the cayenne as well?

PASM is adaptive suspension on X5. PDCC is active anti-roll on X5. PTV is torque vectoring on X5.
I have active anti-roll and torque vectoring on my X6 but no PDCC on my cayenne, I can tell you don't need PDCC, it drives like cars already with minimal body roll.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

We came out of F15 X5 with M Sport 20s and into a base cayenne with 21s. The handling is night and day. I always felt that the X5 relied solely on the tires for handling. Our X5 had summer Continental tires with 275 front & 315s on the rear, it handles decent but it's sloppy when pushed. At 50% to 75%, the car is poised and balanced but anything above that, it starts to get exposed. With our 19 Cayenne the chassis is much more balanced. Since it's still new and haven't been pressed hard, I can't say for sure it will stay that way above 80% but it certainly feels that way. I have 21s with the 275 f and 315 r. I feel that the 20s are just too small looking and they might not provide as much grip.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I came from a X5M. The BMW is a great SAV/SUV and comes with performance options like a loaded Turbo (minus rear wheel steering) but at a much lower price point. However, the BMW is about 400-500 lbs heavier, which is noticeable. Even though I loved my X5M, the Cayenne Turbo with performance options clearly handles better. I think the interior screens and tech are now similar between BMW and Porsche, mostly because Porsche has taken a big step forward in this iteration of the Cayenne.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:10 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you everyone for the clarity. It’s hard not to go overboard with options ... and trying to discern which are more a “for sure.”

It seems like PASM seems to be universally liked. And I find it interesting that it becomes standard as you go up the model range.

Regarding 20 vs 21 inch wheels, I have definitely decided to go with at least 20. 21 seems appealing but the option I would want would be roughly 3.5K more. Would it really be a noticeable performance change?

The base model I drove had 19” wheels, I believe, and I was content. Perhaps if I just don’t drive a 21” model and experience it? Ignorance is bliss.

Quick Reply: Future Cayenne owner... ditching the BMW X5