Sponsored By:

Let's discuss/debate the performance options

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 02:55 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Let's discuss/debate the performance options

Still a little ways away from pulling the trigger for a variety of reasons, but I've been toying with all sorts of different builds. Would love thoughts, experience/perspective, opinions, etc. on these, given the prices, what they do, etc. I'm leaving out the Off Road package because I personally wouldn't need it. Also leaving out the Sport Tailpipes as I believe they're simply cosmetic (though perhaps are slightly freer breathing?) Finally, also leaving out the PCCB brakes. With that said, from the Turbo build sheet:

-PDCC ($3590)
-Real Axle Steering ($1620)
-Sport Exhaust ($3220)
-PTV+ ($1500)
-Sport Chrono ($1130)

I don't plan on tracking my Turbo, but, I love a (very) spirited drive to help ward off the mundanity of our life. But that's $11,000 in options right there. If you had to eliminate one, which would it be, and why? If you could only choose 1, or 2, which would they be and why?

I really appreciate all input here, TIA.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:35 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I would leave out the sports exhaust. I have it on my 2017 PTT and this thing is so well insulated, you can't hear it unless you are driving with the windows down all the time.

I have all the other things that are on your list and if I were to categorize it by importance or must haves... it would be
1. PDCC
2. RAS
3. SC
4. PTV

The PDCC and the RAS is felt immediately. If you live or go anywhere that has tight spaces, have to parallel park or even just a U-turn, the RAS is amazing. I've stumbled upon PDCC on accident when I bought an off the lot Cayenne (it was one of those options I felt like I could do without at the time) but I am so glad the stars aligned for me to have it . If you like to go on spirited drives, or do late trail braking into a corner to have a little fun, the PDCC is a must have. Try driving a Cayenne with PASM and air suspension then the same suspension setup with PDCC if you can. The PDCC makes the Cayenne feel more athletic then it really is. In my current Cayenne, the computer says I pulled 1.1G's on a turn. That is insane for such a top heavy vehicle.

The SC for me gives me launch control and the click wheel on the steering wheel. This gives me the ability to turn off the "auto on and off" feature instantly instead of having to go into the PCM menu everytime. This makes it worthwhile for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:53 PM
MasonRite
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took delivery of my Turbo on Thursday. I haven’t had a lot of time to put that many miles on it but I do have some thoughts that might help you.
From the options you listed, I only have the Sport Exhaust and Sport Chrono. On a previous Turbo I had the PTV+ and loved it.

-If you like a spirited drive you will definitely want to add the Sport Chrono. Having everything on the steering wheel helps.
-I regret not adding the Real Axle Steering. The new Cayenne seems to drive a little bigger than the previous one and the Rear Axle Steering would improve the driving experience.
-I loved the PTV+ and should have added it to my order but for some reason, I left it out. You can easily tell the difference when you’re going into turns! I imagine with adding RAS and PDCC that PTV would not be needed.
-I have never driven a Porsche with the PDCC so I can’t comment there. After reading fkim011 comment I will definitely add this to my next order!
-For the Sport Exhaust…I am extremely unimpressed with the sound. When it comes to options, it’s been the biggest disappointment.
I had the Sport Exhaust on my 2016 Turbo and it sounded 10x better than what Porsche came out with for the new 4.0l engine. Since mine is a lease, I added it since I knew I would not be at all content with the standard Turbo exhaust sound. But if I were purchasing this vehicle and not leasing it, I would opt for installing something aftermarket.
(As a side note, you can unclip the wiring harness connected to the exhaust baffle and the baffles will stay open all the time.)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:04 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by fkim011
I would leave out the sports exhaust. I have it on my 2017 PTT and this thing is so well insulated, you can't hear it unless you are driving with the windows down all the time.

I have all the other things that are on your list and if I were to categorize it by importance or must haves... it would be
1. PDCC
2. RAS
3. SC
4. PTV

The PDCC and the RAS is felt immediately. If you live or go anywhere that has tight spaces, have to parallel park or even just a U-turn, the RAS is amazing. I've stumbled upon PDCC on accident when I bought an off the lot Cayenne (it was one of those options I felt like I could do without at the time) but I am so glad the stars aligned for me to have it . If you like to go on spirited drives, or do late trail braking into a corner to have a little fun, the PDCC is a must have. Try driving a Cayenne with PASM and air suspension then the same suspension setup with PDCC if you can. The PDCC makes the Cayenne feel more athletic then it really is. In my current Cayenne, the computer says I pulled 1.1G's on a turn. That is insane for such a top heavy vehicle.

The SC for me gives me launch control and the click wheel on the steering wheel. This gives me the ability to turn off the "auto on and off" feature instantly instead of having to go into the PCM menu everytime. This makes it worthwhile for me.
I liked the idea of RAS but don't like how you have to add all the other options in order to get it. Raises the cost for something I just don't see being worth it at that price. Also all these additional items can all potentially break down later down the road. Just my two cents.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM
fkim011
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by QQQ
I liked the idea of RAS but don't like how you have to add all the other options in order to get it. Raises the cost for something I just don't see being worth it at that price. Also all these additional items can all potentially break down later down the road. Just my two cents.
You can buy it individually. You don't need one option to get the other.

I've had 4 Cayennes and the last 3 hit over 100K. My 2019 Cayenne I bought a month ago has 3300 miles on it already. The PTV is more or less computer programing, the PDCC is a fluid change. The RAS has been out on the 991 for a while now with no problems what so ever. Wouldn't worry about breaking down if you maintain things.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the rear wheel steering and sport chrono. The RAS is really amazing for this vehicle as it is felt very often. The sport chrono is well done across all of the models now with the steering wheel round switch and the “turbo boost” button.

I had sport exhaust in 2 of my cars in the past, Panamera Turbo and a 991.1 C4S. Like fkim011 said, it was almost non existent on the Panny. The 991, since it was non turbo, the sound was awesome, really awesome. I think since the sport exhaust on a turbo car is a bit muted in my opinion, I decided against it for the Cayenne.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:54 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by fkim011
You can buy it individually. You don't need one option to get the other.

I've had 4 Cayennes and the last 3 hit over 100K. My 2019 Cayenne I bought a month ago has 3300 miles on it already. The PTV is more or less computer programing, the PDCC is a fluid change. The RAS has been out on the 991 for a while now with no problems what so ever. Wouldn't worry about breaking down if you maintain things.
Unfortunately, on the base you have to have Air Suspension in order to add the rear steering.

"NOTE: Only in conjunction with Adaptive Air Suspension including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) and Power Steering Plus"
Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 PM
MFC993
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts

I ordered the RWS, Sport Chrono, Air Suspension on my S which I felt were notable performance options in daily driving.
PDCC / PTV are awesome but I just don't think I will drive the vehicle that hard to use / enjoy them appropriately. If I got a 911 or Panamera tho they would be a must.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:23 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I checked all of those boxes and mostly agree with what has been said. If I had to drop one it would be the sports exhaust even though I am happy I got it.

If I had to drop two I would leave off PTV+. In my case I dropped ACC, HUD and soft close doors instead.

I also have the PCCB but this was because if I hadn't done it I would not have gotten my car in time due to the PSCB shortage. Dealer cut me a little break and I have to admit I like them.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:38 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

@everyone - THANK YOU ALL so much for these thoughts! Extremely helpful. I think for the moment I'm leaning toward:

-PDCC ($3590)
-Real Axle Steering ($1620)
-Sport Chrono ($1130)

...and leaning away from:
-Sport Exhaust ($3220)
-PTV+ ($1500)

That would bring my Turbo build from $148k to $143k, which my wallet appreciates I'm surprised and disappointed at the general feelings toward the Sport Exhaust btw. Glad I asked!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

I got them all, but if I had to choose I'd do the same as above (drop sport exhaust first and then PTV). Sport exhaust and logos on seats are the only options I feel like I should have left out.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

RAS is definitely not needed on a cayenne
Old 01-30-2019, 11:53 PM
WCH BOS
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
RAS is definitely not needed on a cayenne
I completely disagree. The turning circle is much smaller with RAS and the overall effect is to make the car feel smaller than it is. I am comparing my new Cayenne to our old 958 GTS. I also have RAS on my 991 Turbo where it is a performance feature. RAS serves a different purpose here.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:38 AM
nyc_p
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
I completely disagree. The turning circle is much smaller with RAS and the overall effect is to make the car feel smaller than it is. I am comparing my new Cayenne to our old 958 GTS. I also have RAS on my 991 Turbo where it is a performance feature. RAS serves a different purpose here.
I completely disagree as well. The RAS makes it much easier to navigate tight spots - garages, congested city streets, U-turns on narrow roads, etc.

If you're living in the city, may venture as far as saying that it will be the most used / useful performance option.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:18 AM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nyc_p
I completely disagree as well. The RAS makes it much easier to navigate tight spots - garages, congested city streets, U-turns on narrow roads, etc.

If you're living in the city, may venture as far as saying that it will be the most used / useful performance option.
Appreciate your input but this is ones opinion and there are no facts here when it comes to options. Let understand how one would even be able to fully utilize a cayenne in the city, does anyone here use the cayenne and can attribute ras for the reason they purchased that for parking alone? You’re arguing Symantec’s for the sake of it if your argument is ras for daily driving

Quick Reply: Let's discuss/debate the performance options