Future Cayenne owner... ditching the BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:42 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Future Cayenne owner... ditching the BMW X5

Hi all,

So, I’ve never owned a Porsche before and will be getting rid of my current car and ordering a new Cayenne soon. I want to preface this with what I am driving currently. I have a 2018 BMW X5 with the M sport package with optional adaptive suspension added (plus a few other comforts). I have to say I’ve been disappointed with its handling. Specifically, in comfort mode, I feel like I’m “floating” along the road… and the bouncing when going over bumps is very noticeable, like I’m on a boat or raft in the ocean. It’s terrible! Hah. So I always keep it in my individualized sport mode where the suspension is “tighter.”

That being said, it still isn’t as “tight” as I would like. What I appreciate are two things: tight, heavy(?) steering like my BMW 3 series used to be before they moved away from hydraulic steering AND stiff suspension… maybe not so much where it’s a huge “bang” when you go over bumps but I don’t want a floaty, squishy sensation at ALL.

So I drove the Cayenne, base model, the other day. I think it was fairly bare bones. Holy cow - huge difference! It did not have any performance options on it and I felt like it was a night/day experience. So I’m all aboard, for sure. But I have some questions on my configuration and wanted to preface it with the above:

Jet Black
20” Cayenne Sport Wheels (?)
Premium Plus Package w/Adaptive Sport Seats
Side Window Trim in High Gloss Black (?)
PASM (?)
Park Assist incl. Surround View
Steering Wheel Heating
Interior Trim in Textured Aluminum (?)

Wheels: Thinking 20” Cayenne Sport Wheels. My current car has similarly sized wheels and given that I’ve cut the curb a bit tight a few times and left some dings on them, I’m worried about going larger to 21”. Am I sacrificing a noticeable performance factor by going with the 20 only?

Summer vs. winter tires - Never thought of this before. I’m based in Southern California so I’d assume summer but am I missing something?

Leather: I’ve read that it is wise to upgrade to leather in terms of the seating/dash as it makes it appear more “expensive” and not rubbery. To confirm, this is referring to the leather selection when choosing seat color and NOT the “Interior Trim in Leather” option under Interior Leather?

Side Window Trim in Black: I noticed it takes away some silver from the front grill as well. I think it looks neat but I’m not necessarily in one camp versus the other. Thoughts?

PASM: Biggest question here. I have a general sense about this but am somewhat confused about it. The reason my gut tells me to NOT add it is that I don’t want that “floaty” feeling when driving, especially around turns or over bumps. Nor do I really want to do what I do now which is constantly hit “sport” when I start the car. And I had such a positive experience with the base model without it. What does it do exactly? Does it change how “Comfort” (or the basic setting without touching the button) drives? Would it improve handling and keep things “tight” but perhaps have the option to make things a bit sportier? I’m at a loss. I’ve read on here that it is unnecessary for Porsches given their baseline suspension being great, but I’ve also read the opposite.

— If I do get PASM, should I then get the Sport Chrono package?

Performance options, other: I’m thinking I could defer the other options as well including RAS and PDCC. I drive in Los Angeles, a mix between freeways and roads. I like to have fun while driving but I’m not the type that pushes limits or goes to the track with it.

Interior trim: Thoughts on the interior piano black trim versus the textured aluminum? I feel like I didn’t notice the trim when I was in the base model that I test drove. If the baseline trim is a bit cheap looking, I’d prefer the aluminum for sure.

That’s it for now! Thanks everyone. I am so stoked about transitioning to a Porsche! I think the base model alone would be an upgrade from what I have currently, but I also don't want to miss out on something that could be life changing for the type of driving I do.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveTwoFifty
Hi all,

So, I’ve never owned a Porsche before and will be getting rid of my current car and ordering a new Cayenne soon. I want to preface this with what I am driving currently. I have a 2018 BMW X5 with the M sport package with optional adaptive suspension added (plus a few other comforts). I have to say I’ve been disappointed with its handling. Specifically, in comfort mode, I feel like I’m “floating” along the road… and the bouncing when going over bumps is very noticeable, like I’m on a boat or raft in the ocean. It’s terrible! Hah. So I always keep it in my individualized sport mode where the suspension is “tighter.”

That being said, it still isn’t as “tight” as I would like. What I appreciate are two things: tight, heavy(?) steering like my BMW 3 series used to be before they moved away from hydraulic steering AND stiff suspension… maybe not so much where it’s a huge “bang” when you go over bumps but I don’t want a floaty, squishy sensation at ALL.

So I drove the Cayenne, base model, the other day. I think it was fairly bare bones. Holy cow - huge difference! It did not have any performance options on it and I felt like it was a night/day experience. So I’m all aboard, for sure. But I have some questions on my configuration and wanted to preface it with the above:

Jet Black
20” Cayenne Sport Wheels (?)
Premium Plus Package w/Adaptive Sport Seats
Side Window Trim in High Gloss Black (?)
PASM (?)
Park Assist incl. Surround View
Steering Wheel Heating
Interior Trim in Textured Aluminum (?)

Wheels: Thinking 20” Cayenne Sport Wheels. My current car has similarly sized wheels and given that I’ve cut the curb a bit tight a few times and left some dings on them, I’m worried about going larger to 21”. Am I sacrificing a noticeable performance factor by going with the 20 only?

Summer vs. winter tires - Never thought of this before. I’m based in Southern California so I’d assume summer but am I missing something?

Leather: I’ve read that it is wise to upgrade to leather in terms of the seating/dash as it makes it appear more “expensive” and not rubbery. To confirm, this is referring to the leather selection when choosing seat color and NOT the “Interior Trim in Leather” option under Interior Leather?

Side Window Trim in Black: I noticed it takes away some silver from the front grill as well. I think it looks neat but I’m not necessarily in one camp versus the other. Thoughts?

PASM: Biggest question here. I have a general sense about this but am somewhat confused about it. The reason my gut tells me to NOT add it is that I don’t want that “floaty” feeling when driving, especially around turns or over bumps. Nor do I really want to do what I do now which is constantly hit “sport” when I start the car. And I had such a positive experience with the base model without it. What does it do exactly? Does it change how “Comfort” (or the basic setting without touching the button) drives? Would it improve handling and keep things “tight” but perhaps have the option to make things a bit sportier? I’m at a loss. I’ve read on here that it is unnecessary for Porsches given their baseline suspension being great, but I’ve also read the opposite.

— If I do get PASM, should I then get the Sport Chrono package?

Performance options, other: I’m thinking I could defer the other options as well including RAS and PDCC. I drive in Los Angeles, a mix between freeways and roads. I like to have fun while driving but I’m not the type that pushes limits or goes to the track with it.

Interior trim: Thoughts on the interior piano black trim versus the textured aluminum? I feel like I didn’t notice the trim when I was in the base model that I test drove. If the baseline trim is a bit cheap looking, I’d prefer the aluminum for sure.

That’s it for now! Thanks everyone. I am so stoked about transitioning to a Porsche! I think the base model alone would be an upgrade from what I have currently, but I also don't want to miss out on something that could be life changing for the type of driving I do.
Regarding the sport chrono package, I think it looks great but it essentially is just adding the ability to switch between driving modes from the wheel vs doing it in the console menu. It also has a button in the center of the dial that adds the ability to give additional boost to your car for 20 seconds when you press it. One other feature is the, "launch control," where you press down on the break pedal and gas when the car is at a standstill and the car will rev up and when you release the break perform an aggressive launch (something to that effect). That part seems completely impractical for daily driving. Just a fun thing to play around with if you want to show an excessive display of speed to others on the road. And lastly, it adds a second hand clock in the center dash. I have decided against this package but am looking to add a compass clock to the center dash.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered the 2019 X5? I hear it's going back to being sporty.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Ah, understood. That does seem impractical, agreed. The clock would be the reason I would go for it, I suppose!

@davidc1 Briefly, yes! I just don't really care for the design direction BMW is going recently. And when I drove it, I actually wasn't all that impressed -- although I do agree it was a slight improvement. Now that I have test driven the Cayenne, though, I've ruled out BMWs.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:56 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Originally Posted by QQQ
Regarding the sport chrono package, I think it looks great but it essentially is just adding the ability to switch between driving modes from the wheel vs doing it in the console menu. It also has a button in the center of the dial that adds the ability to give additional boost to your car for 20 seconds when you press it. One other feature is the, "launch control," where you press down on the break pedal and gas when the car is at a standstill and the car will rev up and when you release the break perform an aggressive launch (something to that effect). That part seems completely impractical for daily driving. Just a fun thing to play around with if you want to show an excessive display of speed to others on the road. And lastly, it adds a second hand clock in the center dash. I have decided against this package but am looking to add a compass clock to the center dash.
Regarding the side window trim in black, you are correct. It replaces the chrome accents in the front fascia grill and along the edge of the window trim. I personally do not like the chrome accents on the grill. The accents on the window trim is a personal preference. I go back and forth. If you are getting an all black car, I like the black window trim to get the full dark look. The chrome however does add a nice contrast to dark colored cars and will also match if you have a bit of chrome in the rims, side door, or baseboard of your car. For some, it adds a more luxurious look. Next time you are driving on the street, pay attention to the other cars and see what they have. A lot of Audis and American luxury SUVs have the chrome accent on the window trim. Hopefully, seeing it on other cars will help you decide. It was such a small detail I never knew was a customizable option and something I never paid any attention to until I came across this option from Porsche.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:57 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by QQQ
Regarding the side window trim in black, you are correct. It replaces the chrome accents in the front fascia grill and along the edge of the window trim. I personally do not like the chrome accents on the grill. The accents on the window trim is a personal preference. I go back and forth. If you are getting an all black car, I like the black window trim to get the full dark look. The chrome however does add a nice contrast to dark colored cars and will also match if you have a bit of chrome in the rims, side door, or baseboard of your car. For some, it adds a more luxurious look. Next time you are driving on the street, pay attention to the other cars and see what they have. A lot of Audis and American luxury SUVs have the chrome accent on the window trim. Hopefully, seeing it on other cars will help you decide. It was such a small detail I never knew was a customizable option and something I never paid any attention to until I came across this option from Porsche.
Heh, agreed - sounds like a good plan for that option. I think your last sentence rings true for many of these options! Choice is great but can lead to overthinking.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 PM
QQQ
Advanced

Heh, agreed - sounds like a good plan for that option. I think your last sentence rings true for many of these options! Choice is great but can lead to overthinking.
A lot of stuff seems backwards too. They give you chrome but charge you to not have it. They paint your door handles based on the color you choose but you pay extra to have it in gloss black. SMH...
Old 01-30-2019, 05:06 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

BMW is definitely cheaper and more bang for the buck IMO.

Base Cayenne definitely feels more solid than X5. GL on your purchase!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:39 PM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Was also on the fence about the X5! I liked the tech in the new X5 but when I drove the new 50 I I definitely felt the floating your speaking about on the highway.
I was so in love with the new cayenne but it took one drive in the BMW to solidify my decision. Ordered the Cayenne S and I'm very happy with my decision!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

My thoughts:

I think 20”s look small in the new Cayenne, it’s a bit bigger than the previous generation so I wouldn’t go smaller than 21”s or 22”s, both ride great.
I like Sport Chrono on a PDK equipped Porsche, it unleashed its full potential, otherwise it is neutered. I don’t think it’s a must have in the Cayenne’s Tiptronic, I would order the compass though, it finishes the dash nicely.
I hate chrome so always black window trim for me, it’s a matter of personal preference and the look you want to give to your Cayenne, either luxury or sporty.
PASM has nothing to do with the floaty feeling you experienced in your X5 (Had a 2017 5.0 Msport, nice SUV but the Cayenne is miles ahead in terms of handling, even with adaptive M suspension ) PASM is just an electronic damping system, one of the best options in the list, I would go all the way and paired it with air suspension, it’s really good, great handling and a killer lower look.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:46 PM
tjbk18
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me share my $.02 here as a previous X5 owner (E70), who switched to previous generation Cayenne. The Cayenne was in a different league comparing to the X5. I can't speak much about the new Cayenne since our new Cayenne is sitting on the boat crossing the ocean at this time. However base on the one I test drove, it's much more refine and quieter comparing to the last generation Cayenne. This will be my wife's car, so with my input, she narrowed her choices to the 2019 BMW X5, 2019 Range Rover Sport, or 2019 Cayenne. She's driving the 2017 Audi Q7 now, and she seemed to be less excited about the X5 based on her experience with the 2008 X5. In the end, she followed her heart by picking the Cayenne. She loved her old Cayenne very much, so this wasn't really a difficult decision for her. Good luck with your purchasing decision.

Last edited by tjbk18; 01-30-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:08 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely sold on the Cayenne at this point so won't be moving forward with an X5.

Originally Posted by Galion
PASM has nothing to do with the floaty feeling you experienced in your X5 (Had a 2017 5.0 Msport, nice SUV but the Cayenne is miles ahead in terms of handling, even with adaptive M suspension ) PASM is just an electronic damping system, one of the best options in the list, I would go all the way and paired it with air suspension, it’s really good, great handling and a killer lower look.
Thanks for the above. What exactly would the PASM be doing for me? Is it mainly absorbing rough parts of the road? And so it does affect handling as well? I think part of my hesitation about adding it is really just confusion about what it does!

Old 01-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely sold on the Cayenne at this point so won't be moving forward with an X5.

Thanks for the above. What exactly would the PASM be doing for me? Is it mainly absorbing rough parts of the road? And so it does affect handling as well? I think part of my hesitation about adding it is really just confusion about what it does!
From the Porsche Catalog:

Porsche Active Suspension Management
PASM is the electronic adjustment of the shock absorber system. It actively and continuously controls the damping force, depending on the road condition and the driving mode, for each individual wheel. For reduced body movements and thus more comfort on all seats. Three settings are available: ‘Normal’, ‘SPORT’ and ‘SPORT PLUS’.

Same principle as the BMW adaptive suspension, but very different experience, I couldn’t drive my X5 in sport suspension mode, it was a very hard ride, on the other hand I loved the Base I had for a few days with PASM on sport mode, it had air suspension though. Normal mode was anything but “floaty” unlike the 958 I had a few years back.
PASM Is included if you order air suspensión.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Think of PASM as what Adaptive Drive does for the X5, and then add PDCC and that's what Adaptive drive should be..

I came from an e70 to the 958.1 GTS. I had the pre LCI e70 4.8. I had adaptive drive and my GTS without PDCC is more planted in the corners, however I would say that the X5 felt a bit more solid at speed because of it's weight. It weighed about 600 pounds more.
Interior feel will be much more luxurious in the Cayenne than the X5 though.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 AM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Thanks for the explanations.

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Think of PASM as what Adaptive Drive does for the X5, and then add PDCC and that's what Adaptive drive should be...
Ah, gotcha. Meaning PASM is like what the PDCC was for the X5? Or that I should consider the PDCC on the cayenne as well?

Quick Reply: Future Cayenne owner... ditching the BMW X5