Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2019 Cayenne fails to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Cyclenut1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More new tech going into these cars regardless of brand is going to have issues like an iPhone. We are essentially driving computers that will have a higher failure rate. Why do you think the Land Cruiser has the highest reliability rate...they are smart and wait for other companies to workout all the bugs before they implement that tech into their vehicles and that’s why the a new Land Cruiser seems dated and lacks all the “cool tech” found in Mercs, etc. I’ve owned 2 LC 200series and put over 100k on each without a single issue. They are just as much fun driving on pavement as a Porsche
Old 03-08-2019, 05:32 AM
Patek2301
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Interesting theory. Our VIN is in the 80000 range. We've had various electronic issues -- PCM blue-screen that required a battery disconnect to resolve; false warnings and hardware disablement messages that fix themselves on restart; multiple settings and presets "forgotten" -- but no electrical issues as LMB has experienced.

Patek2301, what specific problem(s) has your friend had with his Cayenne?
Its more of false electronic warning but nothing critical. Quite irritating though as he has to go to dealer to get it checked. Havent really face fail start per se
Old 03-08-2019, 07:43 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Agree that with a new model some things may happen. However, as mentioned Porsche has some experience with the Q7 as well as the new Panameras. So alot of these should be worked out. I think the case LMB has is an isolated one, imho.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:13 AM
LMB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Agree that with a new model some things may happen. However, as mentioned Porsche has some experience with the Q7 as well as the new Panameras. So alot of these should be worked out. I think the case LMB has is an isolated one, imho.
My dealer has one or maybe two cases that appear to be like mine. This just happened in the last week.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB
My dealer has one or maybe two cases that appear to be like mine. This just happened in the last week.
That makes sense, as I've learned after buying so many new vehicles over the years, the parts/systems etc mostly come from the same manufacturer and many share the exact same issues, and while some may escape them they are nonetheless common.

Although it's a hassle, and many like to avoid service, or hope their issues will go away, or prefer to let others bring their vehicles in for service to discover the fix, it's best if everyone who has this, or any other major issue have the issue looked into and documented by the dealership as the info goes back to the manufacturer. The more cases Porsche receives the more attention the issue gets and the sooner it is resolved for all.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:55 PM
500RJC
Instructor

The Q7 wont get the 3.0 turbo motor (has a s/c'd 3.0) until MY 20, the Q8 has it now, but I have yet to hear about this issue on the Q8 forum. Kinda of strange only the CY has been affected, I wonder what's different in it's application vs the Q8?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:13 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500RJC
The Q7 wont get the 3.0 turbo motor (has a s/c'd 3.0) until MY 20, the Q8 has it now, but I have yet to hear about this issue on the Q8 forum. Kinda of strange only the CY has been affected, I wonder what's different in it's application vs the Q8?
I mentioned the Q7 due to the electronics not engine.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:19 PM
500RJC
Instructor

I mentioned the Q7 due to the electronics.

The CY's electronics mirror the Q8 even more so, and the DAS stuff has shown no improvement in the new Q8 with the same exact issues as the Q7, sigh...
Hopefully Porsche will be more proactive
Old 03-08-2019, 04:26 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

The CY's electronics mirror the Q8 even more so, and the DAS stuff has shown no improvement in the new Q8 with the same exact issues as the Q7, sigh...
Hopefully Porsche will be more proactive
Well yes Q8 is closer with some. But like HUD for instance is available on the Q7, as well as PCM similarities. At the end of the day they all are under the VW Group, so they has alot of experience with all of these things. The Cayenne is not usually the guinea pig. However the LiFePO4 may be first in the Cayenne. We wil see how many others are having issues. I have not had any issues, but mine was a little later of a build.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:44 PM
500RJC
Instructor

Well yes Q8 is closer with some. But like HUD for instance is available on the Q7, as well as PCM similarities. At the end of the day they all are under the VW Group, so they has alot of experience with all of these things. The Cayenne is not usually the guinea pig. However the LiFePO4 may be first in the Cayenne. We wil see how many others are having issues. I have not had any issues, but mine was a little later of a build.

The HUD is almost about it (no touch screen tech on the current Q7) and we have HUD in our current 17 Q7 3.0, and never any issues. The issues have been all DAS, and false malfuctions etc. Even though they are all VW, Audi has taken it on the chin due to Deisel Gate with the settlement pushing $30 billion thus far so Audi's attention to correcting things hasnt been stellar. What's your production date? Mine should be somethime in April...hope that will be late enough to cover the non-start issue.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:51 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

However the LiFePO4 may be first in the Cayenne. We wil see how many others are having issues.
Bingo! That new battery is the reason for LMB’s no-start issue. As mentioned elsewhere, if the PCM detects a voltage drop below a certain range with the battery, it disconnects the battery from the main power / starter circuit to prevent damage to the battery. The problem is, if that sensor is finicky and occasionally flat-wrong in the data it reports to the host, an erroneous reading can put your Cayenne on a flatbed, even though the battery’s charge is fine.

Based on my own direct experience with phantom startup system test failures throwing error codes, I can see exactly how this plays out. I’ve gotten errors about PAS or High-Beam Assist failing, but can drive right on, or fix with a restart. LMB’s incorrect battery voltage sensing strands him.

Bad design, Porsche. The correct decision tree should be: undervoltage sensed—>allow start attempt—>measure voltage on success—>keep car running if still low—>advise immediate service required.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:56 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

The HUD is almost about it (no touch screen tech on the current Q7) and we have HUD in our current 17 Q7 3.0, and never any issues. The issues have been all DAS, and false malfuctions etc. Even though they are all VW, Audi has taken it on the chin due to Deisel Gate with the settlement pushing $30 billion thus far so Audi's attention to correcting things hasnt been stellar. What's your production date? Mine should be somethime in April...hope that will be late enough to cover the non-start issue.
Mine was Dec build. I am not convinced there is a start issue to be honest. I think it may just be a few lemons, which happens with any car manufacturer. Frankly I would not at all be concerned about your build.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:02 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCWLS3

Bingo! That new battery is the reason for LMB’s no-start issue. As mentioned elsewhere, if the PCM detects a voltage drop below a certain range with the battery, it disconnects the battery from the main power / starter circuit to prevent damage to the battery. The problem is, if that sensor is finicky and occasionally flat-wrong in the data it reports to the host, an erroneous reading can put your Cayenne on a flatbed, even though the battery’s charge is fine.

Based on my own direct experience with phantom startup system test failures throwing error codes, I can see exactly how this plays out. I’ve gotten errors about PAS or High-Beam Assist failing, but can drive right on, or fix with a restart. LMB’s incorrect battery voltage sensing strands him.

Bad design, Porsche. The correct decision tree should be: undervoltage sensed—>allow start attempt—>measure voltage on success—>keep car running if still low—>advise immediate service required.
I see what your saying. Some of the gremlins are one thing. But there just have not been that many cases to warrant a doomsday battery scenario imho. I am ok with few gremlins. I had the highbeam assist failing, and it lasted for about 1 mile and went away. It was probably snow or salt blocking a sensor. I think the battery thing is a wait and see item.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:07 AM
500RJC
Instructor

Mine was Dec build. I am not convinced there is a start issue to be honest. I think it may just be a few lemons, which happens with any car manufacturer. Frankly I would not at all be concerned about your build.
Let's hope that's the case.
On the other hand, if there is indeed a wider spread issue and later production vehicles were addressed for this issue, then that would mean Porsche knows what the fix is, but unfortunately that doesnt appear to be the case based uopn what the OP is experiencing, so keeping fingers crossed there's a fix coming out sooner than later and it will be done in time for my April build.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

I've not had any major problems with my 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid, although not all of the minor features in the computer system work, and the diamond button doesn't always work.
My car has much if not all the complexities of the 2019 Cayenne, in terms of the computer system, and I have the added complexity of the electric motors.
I've been debating between getting the 2019 Cayenne E-Hybrid or a 2019 Macan -- leaning toward the smaller Macan, but wondering now if the 2019 Macans may suffer from some of the same electrical issues that the 2019 Cayennes have...

Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne fails to start