Default New cayenne interior feels cheap

I took a long look at one. Base car. Moderate options
the buttons on the door panels feel plasticy and cheap
the door panel tops feel cheap
the vents feel plastic and cheap
the buttons on the seat feel cheap
the leather feels harder and more like vInyl
the rear hatch is hard plastic on inside not carpet and looks cheap
And having spent some time in the new Panamera not a huge fan of the center console
Oh and rear trunk space feels a lot tighter?

ok so is it me or did Porsche take a step back on material quality here relative to the 958?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:50 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Took delivery 2 weeks ago. I think the materials are very upscale and is a big move on from the prior gen. The overall ride quality and chassis feel leaps beyond the old car. I guess to each his own.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Took delivery 2 weeks ago. I think the materials are very upscale and is a big move on from the prior gen. The overall ride quality and chassis feel leaps beyond the old car. I guess to each his own.
is your car a base car?

im referring to tactile feel of the controls. And the buttons.
They have this very plasticy feel and click to them
that and the door tops. I think I’d have to spec full,leather.

i didn’t drive the car. I suspect it is much better there.

Compare this to a 997 vs 991 and i feel Porsche seriously stepped up the material and tactile feel of the controls. Except the electric power steering :-)

do you knowtice rear hatch space smaller or larger in use?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:40 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Base as s-it. Black/bi color interior/PASM/ sunroof/21 inch RS Spyder rims. Cant afford and an S or Trubo.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Interiors on Caymans and GT cars are 20 years ago.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Interiors on Caymans and GT cars are 20 years ago.
Sounds like you love Porsches!
Old 10-25-2018, 07:43 AM
gt3touring
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I would second the "cheap" feel in the 2019 Cayenne. The gloss black trim and air vents are a downgrade from the outgoing Cayenne. The turn signal and cruise control stalks are also of that cheap shiny black finish.

I took a test drive today and while everything is well put together, didn't hear any rattles or see any poor fitting trim. Prefer the older switches and "matte" finish buttons.

While spending more money on a S or Turbo with leather covered options will improve the appearance, no upgrades will fit the all those piano black buttons.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:02 AM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cant afford and an S or Trubo.
That's because of the car next to it...
Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
That's because of the car next to it...
Amen to that! When I grow up, I want to be rosenbergendo. He is The Man!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I took a long look at one. Base car. Moderate options
the buttons on the door panels feel plasticy and cheap
the door panel tops feel cheap
the vents feel plastic and cheap
the buttons on the seat feel cheap
the leather feels harder and more like vInyl
the rear hatch is hard plastic on inside not carpet and looks cheap
And having spent some time in the new Panamera not a huge fan of the center console
Oh and rear trunk space feels a lot tighter?

ok so is it me or did Porsche take a step back on material quality here relative to the 958?
Very spec dependent. But in some areas, like the lock buttons, window switches, etc. yes I feel like it's a step back from the 958.

Materials are not a big step on, sorry. I sat in a base car, with zero options. It felt very similar to a base 958 cayenne. Same pebbled dash, same partial leather. Some of the switchgear feels similar, some feels worse.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just picked up a 2019 Cayenne yesterday. put about 120 miles on it so far. personally, I'm really pleased with the interior. I also have a 991 Turbo and an 18' Macan S. They all have their differences interior wise. I sort of like the variety between them too. I'm in no rush to replace my 991 Turbo with a 992, I do think the digital gages wont age as well overall in cars you might keep a very long time. One thing I think is unfortunate in the new digital glass "buttons" is that the options you didn't buy are still visible, just ghosted underneath as they don't light up. So if you look close, you are always reminded of the cool options you didn't spend the money on. ha ha. Love the Cayenne though, great handling, power, looks, etc...

Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

Congrats! Nice ride!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Well done! Nice garage floor, too. My wife has wanted me to do something similar to ours, but I’m too cheap. Stupid, yes?

Hope you have many good years with your Cayenne and other Porsches.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:17 PM
Nendo
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I spent some good time in a upgraded leather optioned Cayenne Base the other day. I will compare the interior finishes to my Macan GTS 2017. There are some areas of the Cayenne I felt were lacking. The plastic area where the Cayenne seat controls are is a bit more pronounced than the Macan. That being said the plastic looks cheap and a bit out of place. Would of been nicer with a better quality material. The Touch buttons by the shifter I am not a fan of. You can see the options you don't have with direct sun on it which is a bit odd. Also I noticed when pushing the Buttons on the far ends the whole panel would flex which I was surprised to see.The center storage compartment was crazy small but had the questionable mobile phone option, I question how much bigger it would be without it. Lastly the rear trunk area divider, I found the system and quality to be quite poor and a step back from my Macan.

Overall there are some areas of concern.This however will not dissuade me from my ehybrid (long wait) order. I was impressed by the screen layout and in dash infographics which worked seamlessly. The new wheel options look great but anything 20 inch and smaller looks very undersized. The base and hybrid model (not sure on the S) do not have painted exterior lowers.With the unpainted look the SUV looks cheap imo. The only way to get them painted is with sport design package which is a pricey option.

I am very interested too see what the Turbo S-ehybrid. I may just get that one if enough items are checked off for me. My option lists on a hybrid come out to 40k and it might be just worthwhile to wait.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Base as s-it. Black/bi color interior/PASM/ sunroof/21 inch RS Spyder rims. Cant afford and an S or Trubo.

Nice! Does your Cayenne has air suspension? Looks lower than the base model I test drove.

Quick Reply: New cayenne interior feels cheap