Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is Cayenne S worth the price difference vs. Base

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Just as with the Panamera, I'd go for the E-Hybrid over the "S" model. In the case of Panamera, the 4 E-Hybrid is cheaper and has more horsepower. In the case of Cayenne, ditto. The new 14-kWh E-Hybrids are way more fun than the ICE-only vehicles (this was not true of the old-gen 10-kWh S E-Hybrids).
Old 11-02-2018, 09:59 AM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
Just as with the Panamera, I'd go for the E-Hybrid over the "S" model. In the case of Panamera, the 4 E-Hybrid is cheaper and has more horsepower. In the case of Cayenne, ditto. The new 14-kWh E-Hybrids are way more fun than the ICE-only vehicles (this was not true of the old-gen 10-kWh S E-Hybrids).
Is the 6 in the base vehicles (i.e. non-S) the same 6 that's in the E-Hybrid?
Old 11-02-2018, 12:10 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by superwuhan
Just start looking at the new Cayenne... Anyone considering base vs. E-hybrid vs. S?
E-hybrid in 3k USD cheaper than S, has sports chrono as standard, and is only 0.1 sec slower 0-60. Maybe depreciation will be bad for the E-hybrid?
Per Porsche: S is 4.9 0-60 (4.6 with sport chrono) and E-Hybrid is 4.7 0-60. So you have to add $1,130 to the S on top of the $3,800 difference from the E-Hybrid.

Originally Posted by pokingaround
Is the 6 in the base vehicles (i.e. non-S) the same 6 that's in the E-Hybrid?
Same engine as base. The base engine has so much torque now that the S doesn't seem as compelling as it used to.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:32 PM
pokingaround
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
Per Porsche: S is 4.9 0-60 (4.6 with sport chrono) and E-Hybrid is 4.7 0-60. So you have to add $1,130 to the S on top of the $3,800 difference from the E-Hybrid.

Same engine as base. The base engine has so much torque now that the S doesn't seem as compelling as it used to.
Thanks. Very interesting.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I just placed my Base order, I thought I would never consider the base model but after driving S and Base back to back for a whole day, the Base felt incredibly fast and torquey, its a whole different experience compared to the previous generation 958 which was a dog. I honestly couldnt tell a difference between both under normal driving conditions until I reached the illegal speeds of 140-150km/h , the S kept going efortlessly while the Base run out of air. Still more than enough for me unless I want to go to jail. The SportDesign Paket looks fantastic. I ordered the air suspension as well, not a financially clever decision on a Base model but it rode so smooth in the S with 21"s, even in the first "medium- low" height setting, looks much better too. I know this is a SUV and not a performance machine but the regular spring suspension look way to tall for my liking, huge wheel gap, even on normal height setting the S was lower than the steel spring Base. I passed on the Bose which was a must for me before hearing the std sound package plus audio, great sound, and its free.

Last edited by Galion; 11-12-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:22 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I just placed my Base order, I thought I would never consider the base model but after driving S and Base back to back for a whole day, the Base felt incredibly fast and torquey, its a whole different experience compared to the previous generation 958 which was a dog. I honestly couldnt tell a difference between both under normal driving conditions until I reached the illegal speeds of 140-150km/h , the S kept going efortlessly while the Base run out of air. Still more than enough for me unless I want to go to jail. The SportDesign Paket looks fantastic. I ordered the air suspension as well, not a financially clever decision on a Base model but it rode so smooth in the S with 21"s, even in the first "medium- low" height setting, looks much better too. I know this is a SUV and not a performance machine but the regular spring suspension look way to tall for my liking, huge wheel gap, even on normal height setting the S was lower than the steel spring Base. I passed on the Bose which was a must for me before hearing the std sound package plus audio, great sound, and its free.
I did the same in getting the standard sound system on my 2018 Panamera: it's very good and very capable. I had Bose in my 2015 Panamera, and the difference is really not worth the money, as I've explained in another thread. It's a car, after all -- not a house -- and there are practical limits as to what you can do with music in a car .... just not worth spending thousands extra, when there are better options to spend your money on.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:27 AM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
As I said in some previous thread, the S engine costs $13,430 more than the base engine. Both cars can be identically configured with only the engine being the difference. The S to me is not worth the price since the base engine is excellent. I also ordered the base and added PASM for the better ride. The base is the only Cayenne model that PASM doesn't come as standard equipment. The base will get PASM as standard equipment at the refresh just as the 991.2 did at its refresh. I will get mine this week. 😊
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I will get mine this week. 😊
That’s great news! I hope you’ll post some pics and quick thoughts after you pick it up.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Interesting, but no one noticed the 100hp difference between the base and the s? I’ll be doing a test drive between the 2 when my dealership gets some, should be interesting
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gh0st0
Interesting, but no one noticed the 100hp difference between the base and the s? I’ll be doing a test drive between the 2 when my dealership gets some, should be interesting
You definitely feel those extra 100hp but it's important to note that they seem to be on the upper end. From my experience (and turbo engines can fool you) both seem to have the same power up to like 5k rpm, then the Base levels off while the S keeps climbing. I had my share of fast Porsches and this base doesn’t disappoints, smooth and peppy off the line, very, very good engine, nothing like the Base car it replaces. Yes, the S is better, but the gap between both is no longer that big to justify the extra cash, imo of course.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:30 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

I couldn’t agree more about the torquiness and around-town suitability of the base 3.0T engine in the new Cayenne. It fits the car perfectly. For folks who are not horsepower junkies, yet want a good all-round performer that will get off the line with purpose and acquit itself well against 90 percent of the vehicles on the road, it’s a smart choice, and a far better engine (and platform) than I was expecting.

I think that for general American driving, where zero to 40 is more important than zero to 100, or most definitely top speed, the everyday difference between the base and S may be nil. I’d save my money on the engine upgrade and add chassis, body and interior improvements. Or if you’re really smart, equip a base model at about US $80K and know you’ve got a helluva Porsche bargain.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:42 PM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I couldn’t agree more about the torquiness and around-town suitability of the base 3.0T engine in the new Cayenne. It fits the car perfectly. For folks who are not horsepower junkies, yet want a good all-round performer that will get off the line with purpose and acquit itself well against 90 percent of the vehicles on the road, it’s a smart choice, and a far better engine (and platform) than I was expecting.

I think that for general American driving, where zero to 40 is more important than zero to 100, or most definitely top speed, the everyday difference between the base and S may be nil. I’d save my money on the engine upgrade and add chassis, body and interior improvements. Or if you’re really smart, equip a base model at about US $80K and know you’ve got a helluva Porsche bargain.
Thank you for this. I ordered the base at around $80k and feel really smart now, thanks to you. I had thoughts about switching the order to S but now I feel relieved I didn't. I rarely go past 5000 rpm around where I live anyways.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidc1
I ordered the base at around $80k and feel really smart now, thanks to you. I had thoughts about switching the order to S but now I feel relieved I didn't.
I'm hardly an expert, but do have my opinions. I guess we're on the same wavelength, even though I did not come close to practicing what I preach.

Care you share your build? I'd love to see it.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:45 AM
davidc1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
I'm hardly an expert, but do have my opinions. I guess we're on the same wavelength, even though I did not come close to practicing what I preach.

Care you share your build? I'd love to see it.
Cayenne (n) 65,700.00
2 C7 Moonlight Blue Metallic 800.00
3 QM Standard Interior in Black/Mojave Beige 390.00
4 0NA Deletion of Model Logo 0.00
5 0P8 Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Silver 3,220.00
6 1NP Wheel Center Caps with Colored Porsche Crest 190.00
7 2ZH Steering Wheel Heating 280.00
8 43E 20" Cayenne Design Wheels 1,720.00
9 QJ4 Side Window Trim in High Gloss Black 400.00
10 PFA Premium Package 6,610.00
Seat Heating (Front) 0.00
Ambient Lighting 0.00