Sponsored By:

Is Cayenne S worth the price difference vs. Base

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 02:07 AM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
so true and they share parts as well. Talked to dealer tech and he said VW has totally ruined it.
Yep -- platform, brakes, air suspension, zillions of other bits. I'd be lying if I didn't say that spending $150K for a gussied-up VW isn't as appealing to me as a buying a "real" Porsche such as a 911. But this is what she wants; this is what she gets.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Audi and Porsche are sharing engines all over the place. Just a few examples: The 2019 RS5 is powered by the same 2.9L TT V6 in the Cayenne S. The 2019 A8 starts with a 3.0L V6 turbo engine that (I believe) is from the base Cayenne. Later, the 4.0L TT V8 from the Panamera / Cayenne Turbo will be offered as an option in the A8. It'll be in a "mild" state, putting out about 450 horsepower. The S8 eventually will carry the same engine in full-on tune with around 530 horsepower.

The days of totally unique powerplants and platforms at VW-Audi-Porsche-Bentley-Lamborghini appear to be gone.
what keeps the cayenne unique at this point then? Additional add ons? Seems kinda of nuts to pay a premium for a VW, or any I seeing this wrong?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:34 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gh0st0

what keeps the cayenne unique at this point then? Additional add ons? Seems kinda of nuts to pay a premium for a VW, or any I seeing this wrong?
my thoughts exactly. I think every Porsche I have owned was great and superior to the other cars I have owned. But, if I buy a BMW, I get a BMW engine, etc. I am sure it is financial, but I am not sure about paying a premium price for a vehicle from the VW parts bin!
Sorry to go OT to the original poster!
Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Well I guess Q7 is a pimped out Touareg
And Cayenne is a pimped out Q7
And Urus is a pimped out Cayenne.

Guess we are paying for better brand names. I really like Cayenne's current exterior and interior. Personally worth a premium over Audi/VW

WE
Old 10-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

I can live that, but would like to see a bump in hp or something distinct
Old 10-14-2018, 08:28 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

With all that said, I probably will order one in a few months. Now, back to that base vs S!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Doesn’t look like q7 is using the turbo v6 yet though.

all things aside, I’d get an s if the price was right, don’t forget there will be a gts model coming out too
Old 10-15-2018, 03:55 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

There is a different way to look at it. Drive Cayenne and drive any other of the cars mentioned - they will feel and perform very differently. It's all that matters. Yes, you can get a very similar or even the same part in a cheaper car, but that's like Michelin-starred restaurant using the same carrots or water as a home cook - the result is still very different. Makes sense to look at experience and consider if that's worth the premium. Also, there is often a misunderstanding on what "shared platform" means. It's not that they slap a different badge on the same body. Shared platform just means that the sizing and layout of key spaces and mounting points is the same so that key parts like engine, gearbox, AC, controllers, etc. are interchangeable. Bodies on the same platform can still use different materials and even assembly processes as necessary, resulting in different weight, rigidity, vibration dampening and other characteristics. Finally, the difference in price between a Q7 and a base Cayenne is smaller than between a base Cayenne and a well-equipped Cayenne Turbo, and yet there is more similarity between the latter two. So makes sense to not think about VW and just enjoy the best SUV on the market now.

Another point to consider is that R&D is expensive, and spreading it across more units sold is extremely beneficial. It almost guaranteed that fewer engineering hours went into 911 than into Cayenne.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

I like your prospective! I had always planned on buying another Porsche. Thought about the Panamera, but the Cayenne has my heart. Macan, although nice, I’d rather own the Cayenne. Macan would be ok for me as DD, but the Cayenne size for everything else. My dogs would certainly appreciate a little more room! I will wait to test drive the S, then make the decision. I am sure the GTS is a couple of years away.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Doesn’t look like q7 is using the turbo v6 yet though.

all things aside, I’d get an s if the price was right, don’t forget there will be a gts model coming out too
Waiting to test drive the S. Wish the GTS was coming for 2020, but I am sure a few years away.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Are the s expected early 2019? As much as I want to think it would matter, the price will probably push me towards a base. Save the money for a 991.2 s or gt3
Old 10-15-2018, 11:20 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
There is a different way to look at it. Drive Cayenne and drive any other of the cars mentioned - they will feel and perform very differently. It's all that matters. Yes, you can get a very similar or even the same part in a cheaper car, but that's like Michelin-starred restaurant using the same carrots or water as a home cook - the result is still very different. Makes sense to look at experience and consider if that's worth the premium. Also, there is often a misunderstanding on what "shared platform" means. It's not that they slap a different badge on the same body. Shared platform just means that the sizing and layout of key spaces and mounting points is the same so that key parts like engine, gearbox, AC, controllers, etc. are interchangeable. Bodies on the same platform can still use different materials and even assembly processes as necessary, resulting in different weight, rigidity, vibration dampening and other characteristics. Finally, the difference in price between a Q7 and a base Cayenne is smaller than between a base Cayenne and a well-equipped Cayenne Turbo, and yet there is more similarity between the latter two. So makes sense to not think about VW and just enjoy the best SUV on the market now.

Another point to consider is that R&D is expensive, and spreading it across more units sold is extremely beneficial. It almost guaranteed that fewer engineering hours went into 911 than into Cayenne.
wow best explanation / viewpoint I’ve seen on this topic!

Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 176 Posts

MaxLTV: That was an excellent post, and very informative re: platform-sharing, parts, etc. I generally agree with you. Few would argue the Lamborghini Urus is a Touareg with Body by Giovanni. None would do so successfully.

That being said, I think the Cayenne to me feels less of a Porsche original due to the shared parts and MLB platform. Considering the cost, of course I'd rather be buying a thing that had every part designed and produced by Porsche.

But I'm hardly complaining. I've driven the current Q7 twice across a 12-month period, and both times I was underwhelmed by the car's dynamics. When I finally got to wrap my fingers around the steering wheel of a base Cayenne, I found it to be a revelation by comparison. It felt so alive and dynamic. It was as if the Q7 was Xanaxed up.

Porsche engineers took those shared carrots, onions, peas, potatoes and other ingredients of the MLB and whipped up a completely different vehicle. If you love to drive, it's a better car in every way than the Q7. One might say it's something... spicier?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:30 AM
superwuhan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just start looking at the new Cayenne... Anyone considering base vs. E-hybrid vs. S?
E-hybrid in 3k USD cheaper than S, has sports chrono as standard, and is only 0.1 sec slower 0-60. Maybe depreciation will be bad for the E-hybrid?
Old 10-31-2018, 08:09 AM
dbwalsh
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxLTV

Great post!
I relate it to jet aircraft. In the airliners, there are only a few engine makers. The same engine might be spec'd on many different models of aircraft. The powerplant will provide the same thrust on each but base aircraft weight will determine will determine whether it is "sporty" or a "pig".
I don't care too much if my engine design is shared between brands as long as it is the "right" engine for the size and weight of my vehicle.

Quick Reply: Is Cayenne S worth the price difference vs. Base