Ordering base cayenne. Questions on ACC and Rear seat entertainment

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 AM
raoden
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering base cayenne. Questions on ACC and Rear seat entertainment

Hi,

I am in process of building a base cayenne. I have a few questions about some of the options.

1. Do you get forward collision warning and possibly braking as well, without adding the adaptive cruise control option?

2. Can the rear seat entertainment system play DVDs? Is the system capable of playing blu rays?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:34 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raoden
Hi,

I am in process of building a base cayenne. I have a few questions about some of the options.

1. Do you get forward collision warning and possibly braking as well, without adding the adaptive cruise control option?

2. Can the rear seat entertainment system play DVDs? Is the system capable of playing blu rays?

Thanks!
1. Yes according to my SA. Porsche website under Cayenne features indicates it standard.
2. Sorry, don't know.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:38 PM
raoden
Track Day

Originally Posted by porscherex
1. Yes according to my SA. Porsche website under Cayenne features indicates it standard.
2. Sorry, don't know.
Thanks for the response. Looked at the US website carefully after seeing your post. It does state "The standard collision and brake assist" So I assume it is standard. I was considering ACC just to get collision warning and braking. But if it is standard I would rather spend the 2K on something else. I am meeting my SA to finalize my build tomorrow. Will check with him about this and the rear seat entertainment as well.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM
porscherex
Pro

Thanks for the response. Looked at the US website carefully after seeing your post. It does state "The standard collision and brake assist" So I assume it is standard. I was considering ACC just to get collision warning and braking. But if it is standard I would rather spend the 2K on something else. I am meeting my SA to finalize my build tomorrow. Will check with him about this and the rear seat entertainment as well.
I did the same thing. I was going to get ACC for the collision protection but didn't want the other ACC features. Dropped ACC when my SA said the collision protection is standard.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 AM
raoden
Track Day

Just wanted to update the post. I did meet with my SA and he kept insisting that Collision warning and Braking comes only with ACC. To his defense the website is a bit confusing. So I insisted he check with someone else. They called some regional Porsche guy and he confirmed that the front camera does Collision warning and Braking and it is standard. Apparently the radar on ACC can be used as a fallback in case the camera is not functioning fine. I ended up not getting the ACC.

On the rear seat entertainment front it can play DVDs but it can't take Blu Ray discs, which I have tons of. In the end I decided the cost was not worth it especially when it can't play Blu Rays.

My build is in, with a tentative delivery date towards the end of January.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 PM
porscherex
Pro

It is my understanding that the ACC has the cyclops eye in the grill. The collision/braking that is standard is controlled by a camera near or a part of the rear view mirror.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:49 PM
GTF
Track Day

Five months have passed since the "Warn and Brake Assist" questions were raised as compared to "ACC" option. Is there any current information that addresses this? I want the emergency braking, but the Porsche site offers no explanation....is the ACC a more effective / aggressive feature? Is the standard Warn and Brake sufficient?

(See....some of us do use search :-) ... ).
Old 04-09-2019, 10:11 AM
dspvend
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just wanted to update the post. I did meet with my SA and he kept insisting that Collision warning and Braking comes only with ACC. To his defense the website is a bit confusing. So I insisted he check with someone else. They called some regional Porsche guy and he confirmed that the front camera does Collision warning and Braking and it is standard. Apparently the radar on ACC can be used as a fallback in case the camera is not functioning fine. I ended up not getting the ACC.

On the rear seat entertainment front it can play DVDs but it can't take Blu Ray discs, which I have tons of. In the end I decided the cost was not worth it especially when it can't play Blu Rays.

My build is in, with a tentative delivery date towards the end of January.
So this will be a 2020 model at that point? Seems far off why so long ?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:36 AM
phatchunk99
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTF
Five months have passed since the "Warn and Brake Assist" questions were raised as compared to "ACC" option. Is there any current information that addresses this? I want the emergency braking, but the Porsche site offers no explanation....is the ACC a more effective / aggressive feature? Is the standard Warn and Brake sufficient?

(See....some of us do use search :-) ... ).
I don't think anyone can truly answer your last question unless he/she gets into an emergency situation and then not step on the brakes at all and let the car do its job. I didn't option for ACC, but what I can tell you is that if the car senses I'm braking a little too late, it will send out both visual/audio warnings. If at that moment I step on the brake pedal quickly, I can feel that the car uses its full braking power to try and stop the car. It feels a lot more forceful than I would expect in a car without any brake assist systems. So can the car prevent you from rear-ending someone? Not sure, but it is likely to reduce the impact and severity of an accident. Is the ACC more effective? Probably, since it adds radar sensors to detect emergency situations.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:27 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Autonomous braking is standard including pedestrian recognition.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 PM
vangoose
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the Euroncap rating for reference. There is no video for auto brake but clearly they have tested it.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/.../cayenne/29116
Old 04-09-2019, 11:55 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vangoose
Here is the Euroncap rating for reference. There is no video for auto brake but clearly they have tested it.

Thanks for the link. The last part of the video actually shows auto brake in action, including braking for pedestrians.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 AM
GTF
Track Day

Originally Posted by vangoose

Great link....thanks to all for input. The brake assist looks competent.
Think I'll save $2K & avoid ACC....would rarely use the cruise aspect.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:25 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

Get two iPads and call it a day.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 PM
waynelam83
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I can answer this question.
All new models are standard equipped with collision warning and brake assist. Collision warning just uses the multiple-point-distance-sensor to monitor nearly objects(up to a few feet). It will give you a beep sound when the object is getting too close. So, Since it can only handle short distance, even just a big stone in the ground can sometimes trigger the warning. Brake assist won't brake itself automatically, it only enhances your braking, so, you will have to press the brake first, and the car will increase the braking force when it senses possibility of collision.
ACC equips with long distance LADAR that can sense all car/pedestrian interaction meters away. Hence, it can do slight turning, acceleration, deceleration and emergency auto braking. Also collision warning is more advanced. it will actually give a verbal warning of collision.

So, Only ACC can do emergency auto braking.

Quick Reply: Ordering base cayenne. Questions on ACC and Rear seat entertainment