Sponsored By:

New 2018 Porsche Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:43 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Also, it is Porsche's philosophy (and all German luxury brands) to gouge you on options. But I predict this time, there is going to be a package, like the Panamera's (instead of individual options):

Package contents:
Porsche InnoDrive incl. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Traffic Jam Assist
Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
Night Vision Assist
I'd venture those are packaged because they all pretty much depend on each other's hardware to perform their functions. I'd have to think the surround camera is part of it too. One could say it's a bit misleading to have any of them as options since they're already in there. The only optional part being the button for it, and with a touchscreen control that's even less of an argument.

Still, no emergency stopped vehicle or pedestrian braking or parking assistance. Given their appeal in the grocery-getting set I'm surprised this hasn't been implemented.

BMW's new surround view display is pretty clever looking (basically showing a view from a few feet away instead of just top-down). I'm actually coming around to using the surround camera features a bit more, if just to avoid scraping the rims during parking, or getting centered in the every-narrowing paint lines some parking lots are using. I wouldn't mind having a more direct way to select it instead of digging through the menus or dedicating the diamond button on the steering wheel.

Speaking of which, the new 958.3 looks to be getting the new steering wheel too, with a few more infotainment control features on it. That's one option I wouldn't mind paying a bit for if it could be retrofit onto my '17.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
When you use the Porsche configurator to build a Panamera, you'll find the package there.
Yeah, but I didn't see anything about night vision assistance. Had to search for it and found it. Only to discover it's in the 'Safety & Environment' tab on that page.

http://www.porsche.com/international...nt/night-view/

Night View provides the driver with information even beyond the range of the headlights. An infrared camera detects pedestrians or large wildlife before they are illuminated by the headlights. A thermal image in the instrument cluster warns the driver: the detected person or animal is highlighted in yellow – or in red and accompanied by an audible signal if within the critical range in front of the vehicle. In combination with PDLS Plus, the marker light function briefly flashes the headlight at the pedestrian on the kerbside or in the carriageway three times to alert the driver’s attention.
So you've got to have PDLS+ too.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Speaking of which, the new 958.3 looks to be...
Is the new 2019 Cayenne designated the 958.3, or is it getting a new designation? We know it can't be the 959!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:09 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

I thought I heard it referred to as the 3rd generation in one of those videos.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:55 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

I thought I heard it referred to as the 3rd generation in one of those videos.
So we've had 1st gen (955/957), and second gen (958). There were interim 'updates' within the 958 gen which Porsche refers to as Cayenne E2 and Cayenne E2 II on their Tequipment website for instance. We refer to them here as 958.1 and 958.2.

Likewise the 1st gen had interim updates as well resulting in two versions, but they got separate number designations (955 & 957), but Porsche refers to them as Cayenne E1 and Cayenne E1 II respectively.

So, that brings us to the 2019 which has been referred to as the 3rd gen of the Cayenne. So what's it's number designation?

(Man I need to get a life!)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 103 Posts

From an intro video it was stated that while the wheelbase remains the same the front and rear has been extended. This is where the additional rear cargo room comes from. Disappointing as two of my three Cayenne weak points are the approach and departure angles.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,271 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
From an intro video it was stated that while the wheelbase remains the same the front and rear has been extended. This is where the additional rear cargo room comes from. Disappointing as two of my three Cayenne weak points are the approach and departure angles.
According to Motor Trend:

"Wading depth is 20.7 inches, and the Cayenne can attack boulders of a reasonable size with an approach angle of 27.1 degrees, a breakover of 21.1 degrees, and a departure angle of 24.1 degrees."

If these numbers are for normal suspension, this is actually an improvement. If these are for the air suspension in its highest setting, then it would be a small step back.

I'm optimistic that it's the former. The bumpers and misc plastic bits on 2019 model seem to be less extending downward than on the current one, which would result in better angles even with slightly longer overhangs
Old 08-31-2017, 10:31 AM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Any thoughts on the new brakes being offered?Apparentlysomething between the standard and PCCB.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:10 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by joe 997
Any thoughts on the new brakes being offered?Apparentlysomething between the standard and PCCB.
Not much detail out there on it yet, other than what was in the press release. Sounds interesting though...

"high-performance Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB) consist of a cast-iron disc with 70 micrometers of tungsten-carbide coating. Once bedded in, the surface of the brakes shine like a mirror, but they have better performance over steel brakes, with less wear and a longer life. Karl Heess, Porsche director for product line SUV, says PSCB reduce brake dust by as much as 50 percent (over conventional steel brake discs) and extend the life of the disc by up to 35 percent. They are more expensive than steel discs but still up to 50 percent less than Porsche’s ceramic brake option."

More info to come on it I'm sure as the new models get tested and reviewed.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:27 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

If there is a Gen2 diesel buyback, I might have to get a new S. 440-HP and the 406 -TQ in a lighter, updated truck would be nice.

I'm glad they didn't make a massive change to the overall look so I don't lust for it as much. It looks good but not like a "I must have one" change.

Even the base V6 gets the 0-60 in just under 6 seconds which is nice.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

It seems to be going more electric. 48 volt system? Optional PDCC now electrically operated
Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Old 08-31-2017, 08:59 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Ah nice, the Porsche 'dreamland'...when in reality we're just slugging it out around the beltway trying to get, say, from Colesville Rd to the American Legion Bridge in less than two hours!!
Old 09-01-2017, 11:37 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
... from Colesville Rd to the American Legion Bridge in less than two hours!!
The trick being going during the right two hours. Which, at this point, is practically only in the middle of the night!
Old 09-01-2017, 11:43 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

The trick being going during the right two hours. Which, at this point, is practically only in the middle of the night!
Man, ain't that the truth!!

Fortunately my normal routine is nowhere near the beltway anymore!

Quick Reply: New 2018 Porsche Cayenne