Sponsored By:

Tailgate squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:21 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Tailgate squeak

Noticed this morning what sounds like a tailgate squeak has developed when on rough roads.

Before taking it in to the dealer, I thought I'd ask if there are places to clean, check or lube easily that I can do myself. It's still under warranty, so I'm not worried, but if there's an easy/common rub point, that I can just take care of, I will.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

I'd start by lubricating all the rubber door and hatch seals with Gummi Pflege
Old 04-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was doing it but only right when opening and right when closing. I mentioned it to the dealer when I had it there for something else. When I got it back it was fixed, they said they cleaned something(I will see if i can find my paper work) out because on both sides had a bit of dirt packed in them.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:09 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

strange.

In my 2012, I have had no squeak, nor ever had one over the years, but I did have a 2016 Titanium Edition as a loaner last week, and noticed a BIG difference in the open & shut noises coming out of that thing. Wow what a CLUNK every time I opened & shut it. Seemed like the locking mechanism. My 2012 is so quiet comparatively.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:21 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Originally Posted by bweSteve
strange.

In my 2012, I have had no squeak, nor ever had one over the years, but I did have a 2016 Titanium Edition as a loaner last week, and noticed a BIG difference in the open & shut noises coming out of that thing. Wow what a CLUNK every time I opened & shut it. Seemed like the locking mechanism. My 2012 is so quiet comparatively.
I bet something was wrong with it. I never say my 2015 has any noticeable clunk to it nor any of the 2015, 2016, or 2017 loaners I have been put into the past year. One did have what sounded like a metal BB rolling inside it, always heard it when opening/closing but not when driving, I considered taking that loaner to a different dealer to get fixed under warranty for the other dealer

Originally Posted by Snipe656
Mine was doing it but only right when opening and right when closing. I mentioned it to the dealer when I had it there for something else. When I got it back it was fixed, they said they cleaned something(I will see if i can find my paper work) out because on both sides had a bit of dirt packed in them.
I found my paper work and it states the hatch cylinders were packed with dirt and that they cleaned the dirt out which made the noise I was getting go away. I have been hearing a random slight rattle since then but not taken any time to try and figure it out, I am figuring it most likely is one of the kids seats that got pulled and put back in around that service.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:37 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

My noise isn't when opening or closing, just when closed and on rough roads. It's more of a squeaking noise. It could be movement against the seals, but sounds like something else and the seals are all clean.

Guess I'll make an appointment.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:49 PM
Snipe656
Instructor

Mine was squeaking but only when the top of the hatch had some bind to it, easily repeatable when opening/closing but happened also on bad roads. And looking back I see I said just when opening/closing the thing in my first post, I must been lacking coffee that day.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 PM
ssquare14
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever find out the cause of the squeak? I have a similar noise - I haven't pinpointed it to the hatch (I need to ride in the trunk and list), but it sounds like its coming from the far rear. When I open the trunk and push down to "bounce" the suspension I don't hear the noise so I feel like its probably something to do with the hatch
Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Nope, haven't figured it out yet. Hasn't gotten any worse, though... that's something, I suppose.

Quick Reply: Tailgate squeak