Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Where did you mount your trailer brake controller (958)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:21 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Where did you mount your trailer brake controller (958)?

Got my hitch installed by the dealer last week - ~$600 in labor with PCA discount. Not bad. Next up is to get the brake controller wired in.

I was *going* to roll with the Tekonsha RF and not worry about hard-wiring anything since I'd read that it was "difficult" to install and honestly just didn't want to hack at it. (I'm "mechanically inclined", just lazy).

However, I did some more googling and found an etrailer.com link that showed the factory plug wrapped in foam under the dash (along with VW part numbers for the plug mate) and lo-and-behold, it's there on mine and easy to get to.

So I'm first going to try wiring in my Tekonsha P2 controller I have in my toolbox. Ordered the plug from my local VW dealer, picked up a new Tekonsha pigtail from local trailer shop.

Question is - for you guys that have a hard-wired controller, where did you mount it?

Obvious spot would be in front of my right knee on the lower dash but figured I'd see if anybody here got more creative than that first.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:40 AM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Tekonsha P3 and I put it on the right side above the pedal. When I first installed it my foot would occasionally hit the mount but now that i've had it there a while I don't even notice its there. It was the best place since this one has to be mounted as flat as you can get it.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:17 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

I mounted my Tekonsha P3 over on the left side under the dash. It was closer to the factory plug & would not interfere with my right leg or foot near the gas peddle.

I've had it there for the past 2 years, and never once have I hit it with my foot getting in/out of my CTT.

Plus it was a good location since the lower dash & metal frame beneath it made for a very good SOLID connection point. After installing I remember looking down at it on rough roads, and it never bounced even a bit. Nice solid location without any unnecessary drilling of holes for mounting.

Also, we discussed this a lot in this other RL thread...
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...mendation.html

Wiring with pictures...
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-2011-c-s.html

=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 01-04-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: fixed spelling of the word "frame"
Old 01-04-2017, 11:21 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

Steve - took a look this morning on my commute and I think I actually like your suggestion of mounting it on the left. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:30 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Sounds good Jim. Hope that location works out for you too.

Hey, let me also ask about your Cayenne & how it came from factory. You mention that you had to have your dealer install the hitch. Did they do all the wiring at your dealer too?

I'm asking because you sounded surprised {"lo-and-behold"} that the factory plug (wrapped in foam) was already under your dash...
Did your Cayenne come with all the wiring, but not the physical hitch itself??

=Steve
Old 01-04-2017, 01:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Correct. My Cayenne was NOT equipped with the factory hitch. Dealer did the install, the extra wiring, added the module, PIWIS coding, etc.

I was expecting that the brake controller harness would NOT be under the dash since the vehicle was not equipped with the trailer stuff from the factory.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

i was going to go wired but 3 years of towing with the RF controller... I like it. I like that its super easy to adjust the bias / braking force not having to reach down to the controller. I keep the remote in the cupholder when towing.

Also, I've had to tow with other vehicles and this makes it super easy, just bring the remote with me and done.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Spyerx
i was going to go wired but 3 years of towing with the RF controller... I like it. I like that its super easy to adjust the bias / braking force not having to reach down to the controller. I keep the remote in the cupholder when towing.

Also, I've had to tow with other vehicles and this makes it super easy, just bring the remote with me and done.
Yeah if I had to tow my trailer with other vehicles I can see the RF being a plus.

As it stands now, I've found it to be an advantage having a hard-wired controller in my vehicle - it's usually a quick way to turn down the, "Hey can I borrow your trailer next weekend?" requests. Most of the time they DON'T have a brake controller and when I tell them they'd need one, they've asked, "Can I just borrow yours?" or "I don't think I need one - the last U-Haul I rented, I didn't need one."

Maybe a dick move but I don't like loaning my stuff out. I loaned my trailer out to a good close friend (happy to do it) AND gave him my brake controller (he made a harness and wired it into his truck) but after that OTHER friends got word and suddenly I get hit up every few months. "Hey I heard you loaned your trailer to Nate... can I borrow it too?" This way it's easier to just say "no" as generally, if they have a controller already, they likely already have a trailer!
The following users liked this post:
jairoz (10-29-2020)
Old 01-04-2017, 03:24 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

All good stuff Omni,... I've found that when it comes to loaning out tools, vehicles, machines, it comes down to the experiences we've all had. Getting burned a couple times certainly changes perspective.

But what I am AMAZED at, is the price your dealer charged you!! $600 and you got the hitch, the wiring, module AND PIWIS configurations!! Wow, that is a AWESOME deal.

I read your other thread,... and agreed that most people were seeing ~ $2k or more for the entire ball-of-wax from the dealers. You got a heck of a deal !! (PCA discount withstanding)
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...958-right.html

Mine came from the factory, and 2 yrs ago while looking for my ultimate 958, my list had "Must-Have's" such as PDCC/PTV, Tow Hitch, Burmester, and especially Roof Rails - because I knew most of those would be very expensive to add afterwards.

Well done Jim.

Now if I can just get my dealer to install ~$3k PSE on my 958CTT for $600 I'd be a Happy Camper!! ( Eventually when I improve my exhaust note, I REALLY want the factory button in my console {with the little exhaust tip symbol}. closest I'm seeing is the Akropovic with the wireless button that installs in the 12v cig lighter socket near the console cup holders).

=Steve
Old 01-04-2017, 03:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bweSteve
All good stuff Omni,... I've found that when it comes to loaning out tools, vehicles, machines, it comes down to the experiences we've all had. Getting burned a couple times certainly changes perspective.

But what I am AMAZED at, is the price your dealer charged you!! $600 and you got the hitch, the wiring, module AND PIWIS configurations!! Wow, that is a AWESOME deal.

I read your other thread,... and agreed that most people were seeing ~ $2k or more for the entire ball-of-wax from the dealers. You got a heck of a deal !! (PCA discount withstanding)
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...958-right.html

Mine came from the factory, and 2 yrs ago while looking for my ultimate 958, my list had "Must-Have's" such as PDCC/PTV, Tow Hitch, Burmester, and especially Roof Rails - because I knew most of those would be very expensive to add afterwards.

Well done Jim.

Now if I can just get my dealer to install ~$3k PSE on my 958CTT for $600 I'd be a Happy Camper!! ( Eventually when I improve my exhaust note, I REALLY want the factory button in my console {with the little exhaust tip symbol}. closest I'm seeing is the Akropovic with the wireless button that installs in the 12v cig lighter socket near the console cup holders).

=Steve
$600 was just the *install*

The hitch I bought separate from Suncoast. That was $1k on its own (hitch, harness, and control module). So it was $1,600 all-in. I gave the dealer the chance to sell me the hitch too but even they told me, "Just buy it from Suncoast". It would've been closer to $2600 to both buy AND install it from the dealer.

I'd love to retrofit the Burmester setup but likely not worth the cost/effort of doing it after the fact. Once I discovered the "Linear" mode in the sound/options menu, the Bose system is tolerable.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:53 AM
arob
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi there - can anyone post pics of where you guys mounted your Tekonsha brake controller? I've got a P4 that I'm transferring over from my Yukon. I've already got the appropriate harness, so I'm just looking for ideas on where to mount the controller.

Thanks!
[EDIT - Disregard this request. I'm actually going to go with the RF unit]

Last edited by arob; 03-08-2022 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Going with different setup
Old 04-22-2022, 09:10 PM
Jamaica2G
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=arob;18015246]Hi there - can anyone post pics of where you guys mounted your Tekonsha brake controller? I've got a P4 that I'm transferring over from my Yukon. I've already got the appropriate harness, so I'm just looking for ideas on where to mount the controller.

No, Don't disregard! Any Photos please?! hahaha There's a decent chance that I will borrow another trailer from a friend from time to time, so a proper wired controller would be helpful!

Thanks

Adrian
Old 04-24-2022, 09:54 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts

Here's where I put mine. There is a seam between the lower dashboard and the airbag cover. There is enough resistance for the screws in between those two points, where the screws do not really create holes in anything, but the controller stays there nice and tight. I've used this location in two different cayennes. In my 955 I had it over to the left above the e-brake pedal.

One note, depending on the controller you are using, you may need to add a relay to the wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Where did you mount your trailer brake controller (958)?