Offroad conversion for 2012 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 06:02 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCOMT
Page not found anymore...Otis go bye-bye? TXCOMT
The 'Otis' page is still up & running - added a build sheet - let us know if y'all have any questions!
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html
First two photos from the snow-ice-mud covered off-road Totem Rally between Cache Creek and 100 Mile House BC. Queued up in line for the start of a stage. Otis did get a bit dirty. Last photo from a run up to Lonesome Lake which is near Mt Rainier, WA. Prepping 'Otis' for the February Thunderbird Rally in Merritt, BC.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Do you have any images you would share of the undercarriage? I am interested how you've reinforced the underside, where you've tied in, etc. I assume you had custom bits made. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCOMT
Page not found anymore...Otis go bye-bye?

TXCOMT
looks like the link was fixed. Super cool vehicle!
Old 12-21-2017, 01:40 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Do you have any images you would share of the undercarriage? I am interested how you've reinforced the underside, where you've tied in, etc. I assume you had custom bits made. Thanks!
Yes I will post photos of the skid plates, just need to get time to find them with the holiday. Will PM you when they are up on 'Meet Otis'. Yes everything is custom made or modified. If you get PCA's Pano there is a small photo of the plates in the December 2016 issue on page 60.
Already on the 'Meet Otis' thread there are photos of how the bush bar is attached using both front tow hook receptacles. The park assist sensors are integrated into the bush bar. The rear tire rack is mainly supported by the trailer hitch receiver with stabilization from the two rear tow hook receptacles.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:56 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
The 'Otis' page is still up & running - added a build sheet - let us know if y'all have any questions!
First two photos from the snow-ice-mud covered off-road Totem Rally between Cache Creek and 100 Mile House BC. Queued up in line for the start of a stage. Otis did get a bit dirty. Last photo from a run up to Lonesome Lake which is near Mt Rainier, WA. Prepping 'Otis' for the February Thunderbird Rally in Merritt, BC.

Neat writeup. I’ve been that area before and it’s a treat. Charming during the summer and I presume Winter.

BC 99 is a road all should have the opportunity to take one day.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:56 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Yes I will post photos of the skid plates, just need to get time to find them with the holiday. Will PM you when they are up on 'Meet Otis'. Yes everything is custom made or modified. If you get PCA's Pano there is a small photo of the plates in the December 2016 issue on page 60.
Already on the 'Meet Otis' thread there are photos of how the bush bar is attached using both front tow hook receptacles. The park assist sensors are integrated into the bush bar. The rear tire rack is mainly supported by the trailer hitch receiver with stabilization from the two rear tow hook receptacles.
Thanks Richard - I just checked out the panorama image and would like to see pics of the front skid plate and its bumper mounting and underside attachments. So you haven't had a need to have any rocker protection, as I see you have the standard plastic covers on there still? Also I see you don't run the factory plastic stone guards in the rear suspension frame and a-arms. Also, if you don't mind elaborating, how is the front bush bar actually threaded/attached into the front tow hook mounts since I don't see a mount bolt on the face? Very slick design, especially those park assist sensors!!
Old 12-23-2017, 06:53 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Thanks Richard - I just checked out the panorama image and would like to see pics of the front skid plate and its bumper mounting and underside attachments. So you haven't had a need to have any rocker protection, as I see you have the standard plastic covers on there still? Also I see you don't run the factory plastic stone guards in the rear suspension frame and a-arms. Also, if you don't mind elaborating, how is the front bush bar actually threaded/attached into the front tow hook mounts since I don't see a mount bolt on the face? Very slick design, especially those park assist sensors!!
garrett376 -- Would like to continue this in the 'Meet Otis' thread to keep everything together.
Best would be if admin's would put another group at the same level as Cayenne 958 - 2011 --> for 'Off-Road & Overland Cayennes'
Especially as all models are out exploring roads less taken, coloring outside the yellow & white lines!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I kept the 255/55-20 Bridgestone Blizzak tires I had from my old truck, so I found some 20" Cayenne wheels to mount them on for a trip to Colorado over the holidays.

They're 31" diameter and just clear at the front of the front fender well.

Unfortunately I never found snow to play in on this trip. The tires worked fine though although I kept my speed and cornering to much lower levels than I would with the Michelin Pilots.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:12 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 125shifter
I kept the 255/55-20 Bridgestone Blizzak tires I had from my old truck, so I found some 20" Cayenne wheels to mount them on for a trip to Colorado over the holidays.

Unfortunately I never found snow to play in on this trip. The tires worked fine though although I kept my speed and cornering to much lower levels than I would with the Michelin Pilots.

Great stuff; we used to live in Conifer, Colorado, for a couple of years before heading up the Montana and I hate that we didn't have a Cayenne back then!

I'm also glad to see others have kept their orange side markers...clears are so overrated!

TXCOMT
Old 09-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is old stuff. I own a Cayenne Diesel 2013 and just got compensation for the diesel cheat. I have been thinking of trading it in for a while now but am thinking why not use the compensation to upgrade my Cayenne to more off-road capable machine. It wont fetch much to sell it and what can I replace it with ? So I am going to keep it.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:22 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Fc6450
I know this is old stuff. I own a Cayenne Diesel 2013 and just got compensation for the diesel cheat. I have been thinking of trading it in for a while now but am thinking why not use the compensation to upgrade my Cayenne to more off-road capable machine. It wont fetch much to sell it and what can I replace it with ? So I am going to keep it.
No reason to sell it. Did they reprogram for less emissions? If so, was there much loss in power?

Can you fit 18" wheels over the brake disks so you can run proper off-road tires?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:40 AM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the diesel recall done recently and yes there is a noticeable change in behaviour. During very slow speed with light pressure on your accelerator, it's jerky with huge delay in response. You will automatically put more pressure to your accelerator then a sudden surge of power. Take some practice to master. If you engage the sports mode, then its back to normal i.e. same as before the recall fix. I am using the original 18". Thinking of slight lift and more offroad style tires thats still comfortable on road. A roof rack. (Might have problem because of moon roof).
Old 09-21-2018, 01:33 AM
mep1811
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the spaccer lift and can't find a place to get it installed. My usual shop says that installing the spacer lift will eliminate any suspension travel. I know they are wrong.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:56 PM
nin10do
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 125shifter

31" tall tire didn't rub at all? Looks great on those 20's.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:18 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fc6450
I had the diesel recall done recently and yes there is a noticeable change in behaviour. ...... If you engage the sports mode, then its back to normal i.e. same as before the recall fix.
Sounds like you are saying the sport mode after the 'fix' equals what the normal mode did before the 'fix'
Then it follows that the extra performance sport mode used to give before the recall 'fix' no longer exists.
Glad we have decided to not get the 'fix' for our diesel.
Issue we have with getting larger diameter tires for our 2013 diesel are the inter-coolers for the diesel turbos. Much beyond a 29" diameter would impinge them especially in off-road technical situations. Our air suspension on high would mitigate this however it automatically lowers when going not much over a crawl speed. With the suspension lowered, tire impingement on the inter-coolers would be an issue for us. All this said we have done six years & 80k miles principally as off-road travel with our 255/55/18 Grabber AT2s - will be swapping to KO2s for next season.

Quick Reply: Offroad conversion for 2012 Cayenne S