Sponsored By:

Powdercoating Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating Wheels

I have a 2013 Cayenne in dark blue metallic with the blacked out trim...it screams for black wheels! Anyone ever had wheels powder coated? Is it durable, look good, and is it expensive??
Old 02-12-2018, 01:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Yes, yes, yes and yes.,

You might also consider spraying them yourself with "PlastiDip" - which now comes in a semi-gloss black finish, that should replicate what powder-coated rims would look like. Good part about PlastiDip - if you don't like how it looks, it peels off.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:59 PM
g8tor20
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Back when I almost bought a CTT without black wheels, I inquired to a wheel shop down here in South Florida and if I remember correctly, it was like $225 per wheel. But ended up getting one with the 21" black wheels so never had to go down that road...
Old 02-12-2018, 05:41 PM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

The PlastiDip is intriguing me! I knew it was being used for emblems and trim but not on larger bits. Reading through the forums I see it's being used on just about everything so I might just try my hand at this. I like the part about being able to peel off the results if you don't like them! Is the PlastiDip proving to be fairly durable? Easy to apply? Thanks for the responses!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Powdercoating is the most durable finish for wheels. Plastidip will need to be redone from time to time but is great to see if you'll like the look of a finish before committing to something more permanent.

If you're powdercoating forged wheels you need to find a good shop that knows not to over heat the wheel when curing the powder as it can damage the structure of the forging. I think 300 degrees is the max curing temp that can be used.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

use a company in Dallas for wheel repairs - Wheel Repair Solutions. All the local high end dealers use them, and they charge about $150 a wheel to true them up and get rid of any cosmetic damage. They will also powdercoat them for free at the time of repair and they do a great job. I had them do my BMW wheels a gunmetal grey and they were sharp.

Plastidip to me can look pretty low-end unless you are very careful. I'd find a good powdercoating business and go that route.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:00 PM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My son used PlastiDip on the wheels on his Nissan Maxima. It looked "good", but not great. Stayed on for 2+years!

I recently had my 2013 Cayenne Turbo wheels powder coated black. I never considered Plastidip because it does look kind of low-end in my opinion. I paid $225 per wheel at a body shop that had done some work for me in the past. It was the single best enhancement I've made to my Cayenne thus far. I absolutely love it. Here are some before and after pics.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by JimboMac
My son used PlastiDip on the wheels on his Nissan Maxima. It looked "good", but not great. Stayed on for 2+years!

I recently had my 2013 Cayenne Turbo wheels powder coated black. I never considered Plastidip because it does look kind of low-end in my opinion. I paid $225 per wheel at a body shop that had done some work for me in the past. It was the single best enhancement I've made to my Cayenne thus far. I absolutely love it. Here are some before and after pics.
I actually think the silver trim on the before photos tied in very well with the window trim and roof rails. With the black wheels you can't see any of the wheel detail, but I understand different strokes for different folks and the finish looks well done. If you're happy that's what matters.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Gulfstream
8th Gear

Man, those came out good! I think I'll try the Plastidip for nothing else other than to see how it looks. If the Plastidip looks good I'll keep it until it doesn't then have them powder coated.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

My oem 2017 cayenne gts wheels needs to be repainted

Only 11000 km

Winter is rough here in canada

I will powdercoat them instead.
I wonder if i keep the chrome lip or go all black
Old 02-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 31 Posts

Just did mine black via powder coating last week. Luv them! Now for drilled rotors.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:58 PM
BallJack
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I actually think the silver trim on the before photos tied in very well with the window trim and roof rails. With the black wheels you can't see any of the wheel detail, but I understand different strokes for different folks and the finish looks well done. If you're happy that's what matters.
I agree.
I think the window trim and the roof rails now need to be in gloss black to tie in more with the whole look of the car. But I like the direction of where the owner wants to do with the car.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:10 PM
JimboMac
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, Petza914, I am planning on wrapping the window trim, roof rails, and the chrome sill plate at the bottom of the rear hatch in black. I’m also going to paint the exhaust tips black.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:15 AM
black.cayenne
AutoX

Originally Posted by Gulfstream
I have a 2013 Cayenne in dark blue metallic with the blacked out trim...it screams for black wheels! Anyone ever had wheels powder coated? Is it durable, look good, and is it expensive??
I've powdercoated my winter wheels and came out great

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Wheels