Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:38 PM
captain911
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2012 CTT Possible Purchase

Hello All,

The hunt may be over for my P!G.

Looking at a CPO 2012 CTT. I have received a copy of the CPO worksheet and all the service records for the vehicle from the dealer.

My concerns are the variocam bolts as the production date of the vehicle was 10/2011 and the possible transfer case issues that have been popping up. (Thanks Deilenberger for the great sticky. But scaring the **** out of me down the road.)

Am I correct in thinking that PCNA would contact me if the bolts have not been replaced due to the recall? (Assuming I purchase the vehicle.) Nothing in the service history states they have been addressed. I will be discussing with the dealer tomorrow but wanted any input from the group as well.

Also, what is the general consensus about a warranty after the CPO warranty ends?

Appreciate all the assistance.

Tim
Old 07-23-2017, 10:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Tim,

As the new owner of record - the bolt recall passes right on to you - and Porsche will notify you. The dealer can certainly look up to see if it was done, and can check the VIN# against Porsche's new expanded VIN# listings to see if it needs doing, and finally - for $3 (dental mirror) and 5 minutes (open the hood, remove oil filler cap, look..) you can determine if it needs doing.

Dog helps those who help themselves..

I doubt if you'll get a "general consensus" about a warranty except they're nice to have. Even better if they don't cost you anything and the company stays in business and pays off on claims.

Good luck with the '12..
Old 07-24-2017, 12:51 PM
captain911
Racer

Thanks for the reply Deilenberger.
Just confirmed with the dealer that the transfer case was serviced at 46K miles and the vehicle is not part of the WC-22 campaign.
Does anyone know if that means it does not have the "center pin" in the bolt?
Since the vehicle would need to be shipped to me, should I have them take a picture of the the bolts for me?
I appreciate any advice.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Wonder what the transfer-case "service" consisted of. Since it's "lifetime" fluid - nothing is called for under the service schedule. Did they replace the fluid? Did they replace the transfer case? Or are they just telling you what you want to hear?

I wouldn't expect that vehicle to be part of WC-22 since WC-22 applied to very few Cayennes in the US, probably less than 1,500 or so. The RECALL (which is NOT WC-22, although it is very similar) applies to 18,000 Cayennes and Panameras - and that's what has to be checked. You can satisfy yourself by ignoring the dealer and calling Porsche-CNA directly with the VIN#.

As far as knowing what it means to not have the center pin, I'd suggest you do some reading:

1st: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html - in particular the 3rd posting. I really can't make it clearer than that.

2nd: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...cam-bolts.html

And yes - a dealer could take a photo of it if they were so inclined. Personally I wouldn't be concerned since (1) this is a CPO - if the engine blows up Porsche will give and install a new engine for you. (2) if it has the defective bolts - and the engine blows up - Porsche will give and install a new engine for you under the terms of the recall. (3) if it has the defective bolts - and the engine doesn't blow up - the bolts (and perhaps adjusters) will be replaced under the terms of the recall.

What's to worry about?
Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM
captain911
Racer

Thanks again Deilenberger.

Spoke with PNCA and they confirmed the vehicle was not part of the recall.

Good point on the transfer case. Why service something that requires no service.

Appreciate the responses. Just concerned that when the CPO expires I'm deep into service issues.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by captain911
Appreciate the responses. Just concerned that when the CPO expires I'm deep into service issues.
No problem. If you worry about things like stuff breaking the bank (which a Cayenne is capable of doing - depending on the size of your bank..) then a secondary warranty might help you sleep at night. You want one that starts coverage when the CPO expires. A lot of them start timing down as soon as you purchase them - meaning the time it's still under CPO is a wasted expense for you.

The thing to remember with these sort of "extended warranties" - you're making a bet with the warranty company. The bet is - you're betting the car is a POS and you'll be collecting more than you pay for the warranty back in service expenses. The warranty company is betting that you won't collect any money from them, or if you do - it will be less then the charged for the warranty (which isn't necessarily what you paid for it - most extended warranties have 100% markup if sold by a dealer of any sort - plus the warranty company actually doesn't pay out the money - the insurance company that backs the warranty company does - and the warranty company takes profit off the top before paying the insurance company to cover it.)

It's pretty much a given that the warranty company has more experience, and a lot more facts on failures and cost then the buyer does - so they can price the extended warranty so averaged over all of them they sell for the car - they make a profit, ie - they don't pay out as much as they take in.

So - do you take the bet? I did. Sounds odd - but back when I did, I had some inkling of the camshaft Variocam failures. Not a lot of info - that developed later - but enough to know it's a concern. I wanted to be covered if my CTT had the issue.

So far I've collected $0 from the warranty. The Cayenne has been pretty darn reliable, and nothing that I could collect on has broken. Would I buy a warranty now? Maybe - given the transfer-case issues (which are a more recently evolving issue.) If Porsche decides to cover the transfer cases - then the value of the warranty decreases since the rest of the vehicle has proven here to be pretty troublefree.

Your call on a warranty - but remember to get one that starts when CPO ends, and remember that you're making a bet - and the house knows the odds..

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:47 PM
captain911
Racer

Greatly appreciate the responses Deilenberger.
Owning an insurance agency, I totally get the warranty side of it.
The transfer case was replaced last year at 46k. Has 57k on it now.
Not a VIN listed by PCNA on the recall for the bolts.
Was looking for a newer S but wanted the options the turbo offers.
Started with a base. Wifey drove an S. Probably buying the turbo. Thanks Rennlist!
This is as slippery a slope as the 993 forum.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Sounds like a great deal. You might consider having the oil changed in the transfer case before delivery. Even if they tell you it's "lifetime.." oil.

And yeah - that happens. It's why I'm driving a turbo instead of a diesel..
Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 PM
captain911
Racer

Another question for the group.
For those with 18 way power adaptive sport seats, are they comfortable?
I have heard mixed reviews on them.
Thanks for any input.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the 18-way seats in my 11 ctt. There are SO many adjustments you'd think a person can make them very comfortable, but they simply aren't. I've sat in and adjusted these seats for more than a week and nearly 1500 miles already and while they are not bad or uncomfortable by any means, they are definitely less comfortable for long distance than my 04 ctt seats.
The daily annoyance is actually pivoting in and out of the seat as the bolster is quite high. I feel like that is going to be a wear point.

However, finding PDCC, PTV+ and the paddle shifter wheel WITHOUT the 18-way seats is very difficult, and those three options were a 'must have' for me.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 AM
captain911
Racer

Thanks AGARubberDuck.

Like I mentioned, I was looking for an S with the premium package plus and ACC and didn't find much.

That took me to this possible CTT that is CPO'd and all service records from the same dealer.

Didn't really think of the 18 way sport seats or the paddle shifter wheel. (Not even sure how the wheel works with regard to any controls other than the transmission. Like a tiptronic on a 911 or 993 I assume. Can you control audio or phone from this type of wheel?)

Certainly not a deal breaker but just don't know that much about the sport seats or paddle wheel as most of the P!Gs I have been looking into did not have them.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a big down-side to the sport wheel - no PCM controls on the wheel, and the gauge cluster menu is handled by an extra stock on the column. No heated wheel either, but if you like to shift manually the standard wheel's tips are just not the same at all. The sport wheel paddles are high-quality, metal and very responsive. Right side upshifts, left side downshifts (instead of upshift and downshift on both sides with the tip.)

I've seen a few posts on different sites about retrofitting a 2015+ sport wheel (which has PCM controls and heat) to an 958.1 but limited success and needing to have someone code-out the wheel position data for PSM. Not a great option so I'm getting back into the habit of using the buttons on the radio. One helpful part (for me) is the voice control option on the end of the turn signal stock that does an excellent job of making calls.

All in all, I don't think I'd let the seats and wheel be a deal-breaker on an otherwise excellent vehicle.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:46 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I found after a week or so on the 18 way sport seats - they were comfortable. They are purposely rather snug - to hold you in position when hooning around with the P!G. They are now - quite comfortable for me - I think they broke into my butt shape.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM
captain911
Racer

Thanks for the responses.
One last question...
As far as maintenance costs between the turbos and the S's, is it significant?
Greatly appreciate the assistance.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by captain911
Another question for the group.
For those with 18 way power adaptive sport seats, are they comfortable?
I have heard mixed reviews on them.
Thanks for any input.
Most comfortable seats I own. However, I'm not overweight or large. These seats fit me like a glove.

Quick Reply: 2012 CTT Possible Purchase